Not so standard first cycle question

mjsands

Awards
Ok, so I've read through most of the first cycle posts and none really covered the last few questions I have.

My cycle is going to be pretty standard first timer stuff
wk 1-4 Dbol - 30 ed
wk 1-12 Test C 500 mg wk Mon - thur pin
Adex on hand in case of sides and help with bloat. will start with .25 mg eod if any occur and move up from there if needed

PCT - 2 wks after last pin Nolva

Really the details of the cycle I have nailed down and I'm pretty confident my only questions now is if my goals are realistic for the cycle i have planned and if I should change my expectations.

My stats are 27yo. 6'3 225 about 10% bf just a guess (abs show even on maintenance diet)
lifting for 5+years. My goal really is to maintain my weight but lower my bf%.

I realize that by starting the cycle with dbol is going to bloat me out which I hope to keep in check with the adex and from what I have read test c is good for preserving muscle in a lower caloric environment. I work for a moving company and lift 5 days a week so when we are busy (and we will be when I begin this cycle) I won't need to be doing much cardio as you could imagine. Now I understand everyone is different and I am going to have to do a little trial and error with my diet but my plan is to keep my protein at around 250 - 300g mostly from whole foods when possible but shakes keep me going on jobs...and keep my carbs reduced to around 175 - 200g (this is an area I am unsure of). I am also unsure of how much healthy fats I should aim for, and the actual number of calories I should be shooting for to still be building lean mass but still reducing bf. Any opinions or advise or changes you guys would suggest would be appreciated, I have done a lot of research but nothing can replace experience.

evodrag

Awards
You wont know if your gonna gain and lose BF until you do it. Some people lean out on gear and can gain. I don't unless tren is involved on a cutting diet. Id just monitor your waist. You will gain blood volume, water and carbs in muscle that you have to account for. Enjoy, I like the set up

mjsands

Awards
Yeah I understand what you're saying, which is why my weight I'm really not so concerned with, I mean obviously I want to stay lean as possible but being as this is my first run I am just going to see how it goes. But as far as my macro's go the lower c to p ratio seems reasonable?

evodrag

Awards
If you want to cut. If you want to build increase it. Test will make more efficient use of cals

DangerDave

DangerDave

Awards
Yeah I understand what you're saying, which is why my weight I'm really not so concerned with, I mean obviously I want to stay lean as possible but being as this is my first run I am just going to see how it goes. But as far as my macro's go the lower c to p ratio seems reasonable?
Carbs seem low for 225lbs. Bring them up to around 300. Put the bulk of them pre, intra and post workout. Are you lifting in the evening (sorry if I.missed that). If so start your day with a protein shake and sustained cardio. Eat a low gi carb and protein meal after that. You want carbs during the day to keep insulin pumping for anabolism.

Hope that helps a bit

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
Any opinions or advise or changes you guys would suggest would be appreciated, I have done a lot of research but nothing can replace experience.
Bingo. Problem is, the experience has to be yours. The thing is...you've been lifting for 5+ years, and unless I misread, say that your abs are present "even on a maintenance diet". Well, that kind of implies that you know what your maintenance is. Eat less for losing weight, more for gaining.

I could certainly offer you advice on macro-nutritional groups, but I need to know the framework you're working within. Specifically, what is your maintenance? How many calories are you eating daily to maintain your weight? In general, I would keep carbs lowered on days I wasn't working out (<100g) and increase them somewhat dramatically (200-300g) on days I was. Fats would fluctuate in the same way...I would keep them around 80-90g on rest days...60-70 on lifting days. Protein would stay somewhat consistent, assuming you're keeping calories consistent from day-to-day.

Also, Dave's carb advice is good. Although I'd spread carbs in general throughout the day (I don't like them in b-fast, but do like them in a meal I eat an hour or two before going to the gym), the bulk of them would be consumed right before, during, and after my workout. I use a mixture of rice, potato, and corn starches (around 70g carbohydrates) before and during my workout. An hour post-WO I have a meal that contains 80g of carbohydrates in the form of jasmine rice, along with a solid protein source.

Again, exact numbers are hard to determine without knowing what caloric intake makes you lose weight and make you gain weight. And only you have that answer my friend.

mjsands

Awards
Ok so hopfully I can give you some more insight into my diet I am currently eating about 2500 calories per day over 6 meals 210g protein 162g carb 81 grams fat and atm I am trying to lean out a little from a little weight gained during winter and my schedule that didn't allow as many gym sessions as I am used to. my tdee is 3047 cals if that helps a little more.

I am also dealing with an aggravated shoulder so that is going to put off my planned cycle a little and give me more time to get my diet correct. due to my limited activity right now its hard to say if what I am eating would cause me to loose because I am not able to exercise as normal, but when I was eating like this and lifting I was able to stay at a good size and remain lean. This is really the first time I am actually paying attention to the numbers and not just going by feel so I can really understand what I am doing I apologize if I sound a little ignorant on this part of it

Also yes, to answer your question Dave I do lift in the evenings at about 5:30 - last meal is at 7

Last edited:

mjsands

Awards
Meal 1 - 1 cup oatmeal plain w/ ½ serving peanut butter 2 whole eggs
22g protein 33g carbs 30g fat

Meal 2 – ½ cup fat free plain greek yogurt with 1/3 scoop whey 2 whole graham crackers
20g protein 26g carb

meal 3 – ½ cup(dry) brown rice with ½ cup Broccoli florets and chicken breast 2 tbsp peanut butter
50g 40g carb 18g fat

Meal 4 – 2 scoops whey
62g protein 18g carb 3 g fat

work out in evening

Meal 5 – 1 scoop whey
22 g protein 20 carbs 2 g fat

Meal 6 - 1 cup white rice (dry) 1 chicken breast light + cheese veggies
34g protein 45g carb 13g fat

numbers may be a bit off but I think that is about right - I vary from this very little

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
It amazes me how complex some people make this diet thing. Guys, we're creatures of habit meaning we ate pretty much the same thing everyday and for the most part we eat it at the same time, at least the people i know do.

If i'm eating 3000 cals a day and I want to lean out, guess what? I'm cutting carbs and some calories. If i don't want to lose much size and just want to cut say goodbye to bananas (or other carb sources) and say hello to more protein or healthy fats, replace one cup or rice with half a cup and throw in more chicken or beef or whatever. Increase cardio and call it a day, unless you're competing don't over think it.

mjsands

Awards
Perhaps you're right and it is over thinking it a bit. I enjoy understanding the details of most things but when it comes down to it the principle behind the numbers is as easy as you say - and in that regard I'm sure it will play out fine.