Niacin flush

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Taking niacin for cholesterol. The flush is pretty intense. Is there an optimal time to take it. 1st thing morning? With or without food? Preworkout?

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
oh man, I had took some niacin at work one time without knowing about the flush, my god all my pores opened up, I was bright red, my heart rate went through the roof and I thought I was dying... nearly got an ambulance called and I just pretended I was overly stressed and it was a panic attack, got like 3 days off work haha

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
With food, especially fats. To minimize flush, avoid taking it on an empty stomach.
This. As long as I take it with food I have no issue. If I take it on an empty stomach or first thing in the morning is when I have an issue.

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It's a very common side effect. You can try some of the posters ideas but it's possible Niacin might not be for you.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
As a note - at one point I had worked up to 3 grams per day of Niacin (I am not recommending others do so, just reporting what I chose to do). I would take much of it pre-workout, and then sit in the steam room - prior to working out. I will allow you to come up with your own image of a sweaty guy, whose skin color resembled a tomato, working out next to you.

But - what I found was that my flush reaction lessened over time - a lot. That may, or may not, help.

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Is niacinamide not an alternative option?

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Generally ...

Niacin comes from in several forms: (1) “true niacin”/nicotinic acid, (2) nicotinamide (also known as Niacinamide), a nicotinic acid amide, and (3) other derivatives (such as inositol hexanicotinate).

Niacin in the form of nicotinic acid can lower triglycerides and increase high-density lipoprotein. HDL helps remove low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol. Niacin/nicotinic acid is a B vitamin that's used by the body to turn food into energy. It also helps maintain nervous system, digestive system, and skin health.

As to its cholesterol benefits, Niacin/nicotinic acid can allegedly lower triglycerides by 25% and raise HDL cholesterol by more than 30%. The skin flush that may result from Niacin/nicotinic acid is the result of vasodilation.

Although it is similar in structure to Niacin/nicotinic acid, Nicotinamide contains an amide group absent in nicotinic acid -- the addition of that amide group alters the therapeutic effects. Niacinamide, does not have the same vasodilating effect that Niacin/nicotinic acid has, thus it does not have the same skin flush as Niacin/nicotinic acid.

So, that amide group addition in Niacinamide is the reason that Niacinamide does not impact cholesterol in the same way as Niacin/nicotinic acid.

As to the specific reasons this is the case – well that is way beyond my (novice) level of understanding.

Last edited:
Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What makes the flushing version so much better for cholesterol? I've always heard that but never really looked into it myself
Yep, basically what @Beau said.

We changed a compound and now it does (at least) 2 things differently: It doesn't help with Cholesterol, and it doesn't cause flushing.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yep, basically what @Beau said.

We changed a compound and now it does (at least) 2 things differently: It doesn't help with Cholesterol, and it doesn't cause flushing.
I missed that, but ya definitely has to be truth to that because I've only seen positive results with regular niacin

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Generally ...

Niacin comes from in several forms: (1) “true niacin”/nicotinic acid, (2) nicotinamide (also known as Niacinamide), a nicotinic acid amide, and (3) other derivatives (such as inositol hexanicotinate).

Niacin in the form of nicotinic acid can lower triglycerides and increase high-density lipoprotein. HDL helps remove low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol. Niacin/nicotinic acid is a B vitamin that's used by the body to turn food into energy. It also helps maintain nervous system, digestive system, and skin health.

As to its cholesterol benefits, Niacin/nicotinic acid can allegedly lower triglycerides by 25% and raise HDL cholesterol by more than 30%. The skin flush that may result from Niacin/nicotinic acid is the result of vasodilation.

Although it is similar in structure to Niacin/nicotinic acid, Nicotinamide contains an amide group absent in nicotinic acid -- the addition of that amide group alters the therapeutic effects. Niacinamide, does not have the same vasodilating effect that Niacin/nicotinic acid has, thus it does not have the same skin flush as Niacin/nicotinic acid.

So, that amide group addition in Niacinamide is the reason that Niacinamide does not impact cholesterol in the same way as Niacin/nicotinic acid.

As to the specific reasons this is the case – well that is way beyond my (novice) level of understanding.
Ok now I see it lol

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 6
Ari Gold Product Reviews 0
ECTOmorph Supplements 3
Anabolics 19
EZDUZIT Supplement Logs 0