Newbie needing advice

no1jones

Awards
Hey guys - I have been on the site for a while, just checking things out and have decided I need some advice. I have read through the post and decided to do my first stack and it will be Max FX and Novedex XT. I am currently taking creatine, 3x protein/day, glutamine, vitamins, and omega 3,6,9 as a daily routine. I plan to keep these up with the stack. Reading through the posts and with a weight of 170 I figure 4 Max and 1-2 Nov per day is the way to go. I have read to do max 1 wake up, 2 pre w/o, 1 bed and 2 Novedex XT at bed time. My workouts will not be at the same time every day due to work schedule, so should I stay with 2 pre or do 2 at 12 instead? Sometimes I work out around 12, sometimes it isn't until 6 pm. Also do you guys think this is a good stack for a first timer or anything else I need to add? I plan to start in 2 weeks, diet is good, but still needs those 2 weeks to be great. My goal is strength and size. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited:
suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i really don't think you'd need anything outside of protein/vites/omega's to grow besides adding in some carbs pre and post workout with your protein (yes, protein preworkout too). i think you should be able to hit 175-180 just from that and making sure you're doing the staple lifts - squats/deads/bench, etc.

once you hit that plateau where you can't grow more, then its time to add in supplements.

no1jones

Awards
I am doing the protein pre/post already and the others as well. I am currently doing more of a total body workout with Plyo and other cardio. In 2 weeks I am going to start back into the staple lifts. I have already trimmed out some, I just thought it might be time to try a new level. I already have the 2 supps I was thinking of taking, so maybe I can put them off a little while longer depending on advice. Also wanted to post a couple of pics for size reference. Top 2 are a couple months ago, bottom 2 were taken today 8/01/09.

Attachments

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
looks like you're an ecto. bump up the calories by a ton. 4500 calories is when i started to notice i was bulking fast enough to be happy. when i got up to 170 lbs, my gains slowed down, and i had to ramp up the calories again.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/99607-gaining-mass-nutshell.html

no supplement will help you gain without the calories to do so. there's a nasty synergy there :) regardless, good luck, and welcome to AM.

maybe some of the other guys can chime in here.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Suncloud is providing you with pretty solid advice. I concur :D

IMO your beginner stack is just fine. I think it's a nice mild combo and will start to give you an idea of what you like and what you don't like. I personally like the Novedex at 1 cap per day and saw some leaning/hardening/strength effect. When I went up to 2 caps, libido started to decline and sleep patterns were shaky. Just something to keep in mind. IMO do it up with the mfx dosing though.

Notice that with experienced board members, we've found what works and what doesn't... in which case our supplement stashes get smaller and smaller after we get over the initial novelty.

Post up your routine and a day's sample diet. I bet we could help with that some too. For the most part, a few small tweaks can usually be rut busters.

no1jones

Awards
Thanks for the advice guys. Sample day of food goes something like this
B - 4-6 Eggs on tortilla, cheese, 2 turkey bacon, milk
S - Protein shake, fruit or yogurt
L - Large salad, chicken or steak
S - Yogurt or fruit, something in my stomach
D - Meat, Rice, whole wheat pasta
S- Hard egg, yogurt, something in my stomach
Maybe a gallon of water a day, still working on getting that up there.

Protein is post w/o and right before bed. As well as some snacks at least 3 every day. I usually do an apple right before leg days and and orange before other work outs.
Work out will be:
Chest / Tri
Cardio - usually plyo
Legs / Shoulders
Cardio
Back / Bi
Maybe an Arm day

If I do go with the small stack, how should I space the intake due to irregular workout times, might be 12, might be 6-7 pm. Should I just stick to a consistent 1 at 7am, 2 at 12pm, 1 at bed? Instead of doing the pre w/o? Also on Cardio days do I stick with the 4 mfx? Thanks again guys.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i really suspect your calories are too low - without knowing actual portion sizes. additionally, i see very little mono fats in your diet - from nuts/avacado/olive oil/canola oil. that's where i'd start.

no1jones

Awards
I don't know exact portion size, but I would agree that my calories would be low. Especially if I need to be putting in over 3500 daily. I do cook with olive oil a lot, but do lack eating enough mono based on the examples you gave. I will work this out in the next couple weeks as I tweak my diet and any thing else I need to work on.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Diet looks ok at face value, but suncloud is thinking the same thing as me as far as portion sizes go. Become a label reader and also plug in your portions into Fitday (there's a free trial version online). Do this for like 1 week and you'll be able to "eyeball" portions after that without having to use the Fitday calculator.

As far as your routine goes, the only thing that makes me feel a little iffy is that you have shoulders and legs on the same day. In typical routines, legs take a bit longer... which makes me suspect that you may be selling yourself short on some major moves such as squats and/or deads.

Here's a little tweak, not set in stone, but just an outline:
M: Squats, Hack Squats, Lunges, Abs
W: BB Bench, BB Inc, BB Shoulder Press, Dips
F: Deads, BB Row, Pullups, BB Curl

Very very basic and you have squats and deads with 3 days between so you'll be fresh all the time for the most important moves in your split. Again, that's not a fix all routine, just something to consider and tweak as you see fit.

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Diet looks ok at face value, but suncloud is thinking the same thing as me as far as portion sizes go. Become a label reader and also plug in your portions into Fitday (there's a free trial version online). Do this for like 1 week and you'll be able to "eyeball" portions after that without having to use the Fitday calculator.

As far as your routine goes, the only thing that makes me feel a little iffy is that you have shoulders and legs on the same day. In typical routines, legs take a bit longer... which makes me suspect that you may be selling yourself short on some major moves such as squats and/or deads.

Here's a little tweak, not set in stone, but just an outline:
M: Squats, Hack Squats, Lunges, Abs
W: BB Bench, BB Inc, BB Shoulder Press, Dips
F: Deads, BB Row, Pullups, BB Curl

Very very basic and you have squats and deads with 3 days between so you'll be fresh all the time for the most important moves in your split. Again, that's not a fix all routine, just something to consider and tweak as you see fit.
I'm in agreeance with the tweak he says he's already doing plyo's and cardio so space out the squats and dead lift days. This way give your legs a good rest.