New Year's Resolution Gym Newbies Annoyances

pnut143

pnut143

Awards
Don't get me wrong; I have no problem with anyone joining a gym to lose weight and get in better physical shape.

I just am looking for stories about people that make you cringe...

Like today, this one guy thought it would be okay to bring 5 towels with him, place a towel on the bench press, squat station, deadlifts area, and just a general bench.

He then proceeded to not let anyone use any of his "towel checked" areas and sluggishly moved between his sets texting the whole time, taking 5 min rest periods, and to top it all off hoarded glorious amounts of dumbbells...

Post stories if you got em'!

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Holy god, I don't have any yet *knocks on wood, but the gym is getting busier and busier, I try to hit it when there aren't a lot of people though. I would have reported that douchenozzle to the staff to have them explain to him that what he was doing would not be tolerated.

ManBeast

larrybailey

larrybailey

Awards
Wow, I would of snapped! This month is the worst! To bad management does not do a better job at watching that.

MainEvent10

MainEvent10

Awards
I agree 100% lol.. I love when we go to the gym and there is all the new ppl walking around. They start using something that I wanted to use and then figure out they have no idea how to use it. So in the mean time I choose something different and they get up and go to something else.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
that's pretty bad, I see a few people doing that all year from time to time, using a squat rack, pull down, cable machine at the other end of the gym, all at once..... at least it is not an every day thing. Like someone doing curls in the only "offical" squat rack we have.

Eberly

Banned
Awards
I agree 100% lol.. I love when we go to the gym and there is all the new ppl walking around. They start using something that I wanted to use and then figure out they have no idea how to use it. So in the mean time I choose something different and they get up and go to something else.[/Q

I agree with you.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
new years resolution ppl have come and gone, what was even worse was the college kids in for the holidays.....now we have some tough mudder or warrior dash coming up so now we have a bunch of fools running around the gym circuit training, taking up every machine in the place.....so i just steal the equipment when i need it, if they get mad i just tell em to use the 8 other pieces of equipment they are using

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OP, you tolerated that? I don't care even if someone was bigger than I was, I'd still go work on whatever station I wanted to if someone was enough of a jerk to claim multiple spots.

I haven't had too many new members join that have irritated me, but we do have 2 personal trainers that are constantly working sessions with people and their style of training is a hybrid of crossfit and "annoy the crap out of anyone who wants to workout at the same time." To boot, there was a new, 3rd trainer, last night. The gym I go to isn't very big, anyway, so that's the most annoying part. These guys will have their clients work out in circuits and occupy several machines/benches at once. Needless to say, I take what I want. I know I sound like a dbag when I say that, but if I pay membership, I'm not going to put up with that. It's bad enough that we somehow only have 3 olympic bars (and now only 4 clips, total lol) in the place and they think it's acceptable to take it from the power rack or one of the benches and leave it in their crossfit station for people to do T-bar rows with 35 lbs loaded on it.

I find myself feeling like Homer Simpson, pretty frequently ("You're right! I'm a rage-a-holic! I'm addicted to rage-a-hol!").

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
crossfit should be done at crossfit locations only, that way they don't have to be humiliated in front of the rest of humanity...

ManBeast

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
crossfit should be done at crossfit locations only, that way they don't have to be humiliated in front of the rest of humanity...

ManBeast
Amen to that! Had this Crossfit douche doing That kipping pull up crap the other day. First time I've ever scene it in person and it was rediculous, I can't believe people wanna do that, i wanted to call him out so damn bad for it but I was in too good of a mood to be a dick that day! Lol

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
I have friends who are hard core paleo's and crossfitters... i make it a point never to talk about diet or exorcise around them :)

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The resolution crowd has pretty much died off at my gym. I think maybe 2 stuck around that train at the same time I do, but the other 10-12 have either left or changed times.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
It seems to only be getting worse at mine for some reason. What cracks me up is the dudes that join with their cute girlfriend and go together then get all pissy looking when she gets checked out and continuously paces back and forth to whatever she's doing between sets to mark territory. Yeah i look too, I'm married, not blind!

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
If the girl didn't want to be checked out, chances are she'd wear a baggy t-shirt over the tight stuff anyways...

ManBeast

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
If the girl didn't want to be checked out, chances are she'd wear a baggy t-shirt over the tight stuff anyways...

ManBeast
Exactly. You wouldnt go pet pit bulls wearing steaks on your head would ya?!

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Three stories.

Considering that I'm also fairly new to my current gym, I had a guy next to me performing leg presses. In between sets he'd get up and spontaneously start dancing salsa. It was freaking me out, this went on for like 10 minutes.

Now every gym has that one guy/group that for whatever reason, they want you to know that they're working out, because they're very vocal about it. For example 3 guys, who I lovingly refer to as "The Affliction Boys", whenever they've completed a bench press, they feel the need to scream and grunt and slap chests with each other, more so than at an Adam Lambert slumber party.

Lastly, this guy is my favorite. He stands on a half moon and performs what can only be described as his version of "Black Swan", he contorts his body every which way, then does some hanging swinging cirque du soleil type maneuver off the universal machine, it's completely weird but at the same time fascinating because sometimes I think he's gonna miss the bar and I always have my camera ready.

larrybailey

larrybailey

Awards
Three stories.

Considering that I'm also fairly new to my current gym, I had a guy next to me performing leg presses. In between sets he'd get up and spontaneously start dancing salsa. It was freaking me out, this went on for like 10 minutes.

Now every gym has that one guy/group that for whatever reason, they want you to know that they're working out, because they're very vocal about it. For example 3 guys, who I lovingly refer to as "The Affliction Boys", whenever they've completed a bench press, they feel the need to scream and grunt and slap chests with each other, more so than at an Adam Lambert slumber party.

Lastly, this guy is my favorite. He stands on a half moon and performs what can only be described as his version of "Black Swan", he contorts his body every which way, then does some hanging swinging cirque du soleil type maneuver off the universal machine, it's completely weird but at the same time fascinating because sometimes I think he's gonna miss the bar and I always have my camera ready.
Your GYM Rocks man! I get so bored at my Gym! Lol

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Three stories.

got any ppl at your gym that hop around after sets like they are muhammad ali or something, i have a few of those clowns

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
local colleges should be back soon - I am hoping things drop off again. it gets annoying having no benches or racks. but at least for the msot part people are using them correctly so I cant complain.. I would like to be able to get onto some piece of cardio equipment though :)

nothing wrong with a month of goblet squats and farmer carries though!

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
got any ppl at your gym that hop around after sets like they are muhammad ali or something, i have a few of those clowns
Lol yep. And the guy who raps with his headphones on and moves his hands around like he's a rapper, too.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do, but that gives me more of an opportunity to check out their girlfriends. Anywhoo, we should all do a Dinner For Schmucks, I bring my clowns, you guys bring yours.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol yep. And the guy who raps with his headphones on and moves his hands around like he's a rapper, too.
I do that only so the guy next to me thinks I'm crazy and moves, that way I can use his machine for a circuit.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
nothing beats the guy wearing head phones only singing the chorus to benny and the jets when it comes around.. that or the woman doing intervals, who only grunted and moaned during the middle of the cool down parts?

I never saw this one, but it happened to a friend of mine who is a gym owner.

One guy came in and was constantly yelling "go to war" and "prepare for battle" at the top of his lungs (to him self as well as other lifters i think) needless to say his first day was the last day at the gym...

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
One guy came in and was constantly yelling "go to war" and "prepare for battle" at the top of his lungs (to him self as well as other lifters i think) needless to say his first day was the last day at the gym...
Now THAT sounds like a Planet Fitness commercial. In which case, they would actually deserve to be booted.

These aren't really related, but there's a guy at my gym whose gym bag is a promo one from "Black Starz." It just makes me laugh every time I see it in there. Not the black part so much, but a movie gym bag. The combination of both just makes me chuckle when I see it in a cubby.

Also, there are a lot of guys around here who wear stuff with the Ruff Ryders emblem. Apparently it's making a comback or is a gang now, i don't know, but it just makes me think of old DMX videos.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
Now THAT sounds like a Planet Fitness commercial. In which case, they would actually deserve to be booted.
no doubt. this guy was asking for it even though I think he thought he was psyching everyone up? the others, well they are just tools :)

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i've almost caught myself doing that a few times.....but we have an air drummer at my gym, as he weaves his way in between machines he never misses a beat

larrybailey

larrybailey

Awards
Yeah, what's this whole bring your girlfriend to workout with you thing? Lol I guess the funniest thing I seen was a guy wearing the old spandex wrestling outfit! The one that this short tank top looking thing! And man he wore a different color every day!

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I workout at a snap fitness for the 24 hour access. We had a few noobs come in around the 1st of the year. No freaking lie: some dude put the collar clamps on the bar he was benching... On the fawking smith machine!!! I wanted to get a pic, but he never left the area..

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards

ManBeast
sometimes for pt in the army they make us to crossfit, im like seriously lol?????

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
lol! i can only imagine... 'PREPARE FOR BATTLE" being yelled by some new guy who looks like hes never worked out before haha

larrybailey

larrybailey

Awards
Ok! I had a new guy scream with every curl last night.

larrybailey

larrybailey

Awards
I like to curl 5lb dumbbells and scream like I'm getting attacked by a seal lion.
Hahahahaha man it was crazy! I was pulling 80 pound dumbbells and being pretty quiet, and he had a set of 20's giving it heck!

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
lol! i can only imagine... 'PREPARE FOR BATTLE" being yelled by some new guy who looks like hes never worked out before haha
I'd prolly tip him like a street performer and slip him a redbull spiked with some 1,3 to keep it goin. That shît is actually pretty damn entertaining sounding compared to the boring regular ol douche!

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I'd prolly tip him like a street performer and slip him a redbull spiked with some 1,3 to keep it goin. That shît is actually pretty damn entertaining sounding compared to the boring regular ol douche!
Oh the hillarity that would ensue! :D

ManBeast