Needs bigger Legs

FitMech28

FitMech28

Awards
Sup everybody, I'm trying to come up with a plan to build and bulk my legs without over stressing them to the point were I'm super sore. Please help with comments, concerns, and new ideas.....

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
well first i would say stop doing behind the neck pullups. that would help with the ability to be able to squat by making sure you have shoulders that function at all.

as for being sore, workout consistently and the sore feeling gets minimized dramatically. a specific exercise, set or rep schemes are not going make much difference.

when you say build and bulk, does build mean to get stronger? otherwise i would think building them would be bulking them.

here are some basics when it comes to rep ranges:
http://homeworkoutblog.com/how-many-reps-to-build-muscle/

how many sets depends on workout capacity and training age.

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
Make sure that you are getting plenty of protein and getting a lot of post-workout potassium too for the lactic acid

GeraldNY181

GeraldNY181

Awards
What does potassium have to do with lactic acid or, more importantly, what does lactic acid have to do with any of this?
If you are able to expel lactic acid, or are able in increase your lactic threshold you can work out longer with greater intensity. That is why elilte athletes can push at extremely high levels for long periods of time.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you are able to expel lactic acid, or are able in increase your lactic threshold you can work out longer with greater intensity. That is why elilte athletes can push at extremely high levels for long periods of time.
Maybe for conditioning and endurance purposes, but that's a bit beyond the scope of the OPs question. Lactic acid is metabolized within minutes once the exercise bout is completed and very few sets are pushed to the point where muscular failure occurs due to the disruption of muscle contraction due to H+ ions.

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
You want big legs? 20-reps squats and a gallon of milk a day. When you hit 315 for 20 you'll have monster legs.

PROness

Awards
You want big legs? 20-reps squats and a gallon of milk a day. When you hit 315 for 20 you'll have monster legs.
This is true I am a testament to this.

Let me spell this out mathematically for everyone here seeking redwood tree trunks:

Squats + Lunges + Step Ups + Diet/Calories= big ass legs

Leg Extensions + Leg Curls + Smith Machine Squats + Diet/Calories= waste of time when you consider the alternative

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The big dif here being the emphasis on "gallon of milk". I was an avid 20 rep squatter and deadlifter, and until I decided to eat enough, whether or not I was doing 20 rep squats, or 5x5's or 3x10 or 2x15, the food intake was key to getting much larger.
If 20+ reps squats taught me anything, it was work ethic and how to get real uncomfortable in the gym doing one of the hardest exercises. After a set of high rep squatting or even deadlifting, most anything else can be a cake walk.

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
The big dif here being the emphasis on "gallon of milk". I was an avid 20 rep squatter and deadlifter, and until I decided to eat enough, whether or not I was doing 20 rep squats, or 5x5's or 3x10 or 2x15, the food intake was key to getting much larger.
If 20+ reps squats taught me anything, it was work ethic and how to get real uncomfortable in the gym doing one of the hardest exercises. After a set of high rep squatting or even deadlifting, most anything else can be a cake walk.
Exactly. Man makers.

compudog

compudog

Awards
If you're afraid to get sore you're not going to get big legs. Period.

rpm57

rpm57

Awards
Read an article on here, 6 weeks to break PR squats! AKA 6 weeks of HE||! Squat everyday for 6weeks.
Week 1

Monday
Exercise Sets Reps % 1RM
A Back Squat 1 10 80%
B Bench Press 3 3 80%
Tuesday
Exercise Sets Reps % 1RM
A Back Squat 1 10 80%
B Chin-Up * 30
C1 Planks off GH Raise 2 30 sec.**
C2 Dumbbell External Rotation 2 10
* as many sets as it takes
** if too easy, put a 10-pound plate behind your head

Wednesday
Exercise Sets Reps % 1RM
A Back Squat 1 10 80%
B Deadlift* 3 3 80%
* must be done perfectly

Thursday
Exercise Sets Reps % 1RM
A Back Squat 1 10 80%
B Bench Press 3 3 80%
Friday
Exercise Sets Reps % 1RM
A Back Squat 1 10 80%
B Chin-Up * 30
C1 Planks off GH Raise 2 30 sec.**
C2 Dumbbell External Rotation 2 10
* as many sets as it takes
** if too easy, put a 10-pound plate behind your head

Saturday
Exercise Sets Reps % 1RM
A Back Squat 1 10 80%
B Deadlift* 3 3 80%
* must be done perfectly

Sunday
Lie in bed all day, preferably in fetal position

Week 2
Max out every day, but you may only call for spotters once. Drop down 20 pounds and do 2 sets of 2. If you can't get the double, drop another 10 pounds. Make sure you do the doubles or your overall volume won't be high enough.

Don't rush your sets after 80%. Take 20-pound jumps at the maximum. Remember, the weights don't matter, you're learning your form.

Assistance work stays the same, same weights, and try for more chins.

Week 3
87% for 10 singles every day. Assistance work stays the same.

Week 4
Max out, then drop down for doubles. Assistance work stays the same unless you plan on competing.

Week 5
Monday: 4 doubles @ 80%

Tuesday: Single @ 80%

Wednesday: 4 doubles @ 80%

Thursday, Friday: Single @ 80%

Saturday: Max out powerlifting meet style or compete.

Week 6
Do whatever you want but keep squatting.

Week 7
You're done. Keep doing bodyweight stuff and just let yourself loosen up. Take some pictures – you'll look different now.

BEAST!!!! In week 4 now squatting 455x1 and 385 10x1

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I guess an everyday thing may be okay for some, but I get leery about going from 0-60. To me, squatting is a life long endeavor and a habit making exercises year round and hard if you want to reap great benefits. For the average intermed or advanced guy using 1.25x 1.5x 2xBW and up for multi sets/reps, twice per week (hard and med) is most likely plenty and it won't burn you out with one cycle and make you hate them.
Adding in enough calories and a reg diet of squats will put good tread on anyone's wheels.
Even subbing a day with heavy leg presses or trap bar deads off blocks, will add size.