name 2 things that drive you insane at your gym.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
The only thing that drives me crazy at the gym is cardio machines, My gym isnt that big and on saturdays and sundays it can get pretty crowded, its never a problem with weights but for some reason always a ton of older women and girls on the cardio machines, dont get me wrong if there working its fine but i see it all the time. Two usually older ladys on bikes or ellipticals gabbing away barely doing an exersice when i want to get on that machine. its ahrd to find machines sometimes and people like that take them up. One time a ladys bike turned off! she was going so slow it makes me crazy.

DT5

Awards
  • Established
The only thing that drives me crazy at the gym is cardio machines, My gym isnt that big and on saturdays and sundays it can get pretty crowded, its never a problem with weights but for some reason always a ton of older women and girls on the cardio machines, dont get me wrong if there working its fine but i see it all the time. Two usually older ladys on bikes or ellipticals gabbing away barely doing an exersice when i want to get on that machine. its ahrd to find machines sometimes and people like that take them up. One time a ladys bike turned off! she was going so slow it makes me crazy.

sometimes i sit on a bike just to chill and relax. i hope that makes you angry.

DT5

Awards
  • Established
"im also SOOO annoyed that people go to gyms to work out. its friggin stupid. stupid losers who work out! god damn. they are so stupid. i saw this skinny guy lifting weights. it was dumb. he shouldnt be lifting unless hes arnold."--everyone here

purebred

curling (with the oly bar) in the power rack.
THAT'S WHAT THEY HAVE TWO THE COLLECTION OF CURL BARS FOR AT THE GYM!:rant:

get the hell out of my way, i need to squat beach boy. rant over :)

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
The older lady with the fried perm and highlights that smacks her chewing gum real loud while on the eliptical or treadmill - drives me nuts.

People that don't clean their pools of sweat after using equipment.

People that don't put equipment back the way it was before they used it.

People that leave their bags on the middle of the floor.

People that have one more set but they won't stop talking with their gym buddies and keep me waiting - they need to lift or get their ass off the equipment.

robotj

Awards
When this morning i needed to get my body fat measured and the lady came back with some bioelectric measuring device...looked like she paid 5$ at walmart for it. It was nowhere close to accurate.

Time to order some calipers...

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
another one i see alot...

45 year old guys hitting on 18 year old girls and they like it? wtffff... creeepy.

purebred

Gym Etiquette
http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/Etiquette.html

purebred's Note: i tried to organize these guidelines as best i can considering the format on the actual page did not transfer over into the forum identically so i did what i could with the symbols.

Uphold rules of club and exercise room

• Read rules and posted signs
  • Observe posted equipment instructions and warnings
If you would like to use a piece of equipment someone is using

• Ask if you can "work in between their sets"
o if they say no, be patient and have compassion for the feeble minded
o acceptable reasons for denying "working in" include
  1. two or more individuals already exercising on equipment
  2. a large number of free weight are loaded on equipment and user is nearly finished
o after each set allow the other person to use the equipment
[ ]---try to set the apparatus adjustments back where the other person had set them
  • If someone begins exercising on a weight apparatus while you were resting between your sets
o you should say "I only have X number of set left on this machine, you may work in with me if you would like"
o if you were working in between someone else's sets, make the other person aware someone is already sharing the equipment with you
  • If waiting in line and you leave to use the rest room or get a drink of water
o tell the person behind you in line you are coming right back so they are aware you are waiting
  • If someone sneaks ahead of you
o you should say "I just went to go to ___, I believe I was here before you".
  • You can not claim a piece of equipment by setting a towel or water bottle on or next to it

When you are using equipment and others waiting

• Allow others to work in between your sets
  • Do not rest on exercise equipment
o studies suggest recovery is accelerated by light muscular activity such as walking about between sets rather than sitting (See Active Recovery)
  • On cardio equipment, abide by the time limit set by club (typically 30 minutes).
o do not wait for someone to ask you to get off
  • Wipe equipment with towel after each set
o would you like to be in contact with someone else's sweat?

When you are finished with a piece of equipment

• Wipe equipment using disinfectant when available
  • Do not leave your sweaty towel behind for someone else to pick up
  • Put equipment away when you have completed an exercise
o it is not the attendants or other members responsibility to put away your equipment
o put weights in their designated place, not necessarily where someone that was using it before you had left it.
[ ]--- if you were the last to use the equipment, you are the one responsible for putting back where it belongs
[ ]--- weight plates
----> remove all weights
----> storage arranged by weight of plates (eg: 45lb, 35lb, 25lb, 10lb, 5LF, 2.5LF)
[ ]--- do not mix plates on same storage bar
[ ]--- dumbbells placed in order on rack, where they were intended to be stored
o return benches, mats and other equipment in its designated storage area
o certain cable attachment may remain on machines if they are commonly used by others

Be aware of exercise area

• Stay clear of areas that require space at or near a particular station
  • e.g.: weightlifting platform, cable crossover machine, weight trees, etc.
o do not crowd other exercisers
  • Do not exercise where others need to walk
o high traffic paths, area entries, in front of water stations, etc
  • Do not stand in front of the dumbbell rack
o since others will need clearance to get and put away their dumbbells
  • Before exercising in front of the mirror, check behind you to see if anyone else is using that mirror space
o do not stand in front of someone using the mirror behind you
  • Keep your stuff off equipment and areas were people need to walk
o even if you are exercising right next to it

Avoid making too much noise

• Keep in mind an exercise facility is a public place
o where many participants are trying to concentrate on performing their exercises
  • Avoid excessive chatter
o particularly in exercise class (wait until after class)
o do not initiate conversation with someone while they are engaged in a resistance training set or a sprint bout
  • Do not use cell phone
o turn of ringer
o some gyms prohibit cell use in workout areas
  • Limit grunting, yelling, or cursing during exercise
o habitual or sudden outbursts are seen as rude and egotistical, "look at me!"
o occasional natural grunting under extremely lifting conditions may be acceptable in some hardcore gyms
  • Do not sing or whistle
o particularly when you are listening to music on a head set.
  • Avoid dropping weights
o learn techniques for raising and lowering weights
[ ]--- Dumbbell Bench Press
[ ]--- Dumbbell Incline Bench Press
[ ]--- Dumbbell Triceps Extension
o do not bang weight stacks on machines
[ ]--- tapping weight very lightly is acceptable
  • Use cardio equipment properly
o do not slap feet on treadmill
o do not bottom or top out on stairclimber
  • Do not bounce balls in fitness area
o keep basketballs on the court
  • Do not smack chewing gum or pop bubbles
  • Loud or constant noises can annoy other exercisers
Asking for a spot

• Ask for a spot when going heavy on higher risk exercises such as the bench and squat
  • Utilize fitness staff before approaching a member you do not know for a spot
o do not interrupt a fitness instructor if he is conducting a personal training session or equipment orientation
o do not interrupt someone while they are performing their set or spotting someone else
  • Limit how frequency you ask others for a spot
o use the weight you can handle
o only go heavy occasionally
o seldom exercise to failure on higher risk exercises
o use other methods rather than forced repetitions to break sticking points
[ ]--- utilize more effective and safer techniques such as periodization, light/heavy workouts, and periodic exercise changes
o learn and utilize mounting and dismounting techniques on dumbbell exercises
  • Communicate to the spotter before your set
o ask them to spot you in a specific manner if this is important to you
[ ]--- by the wrist, on the elbows, on the bar, around the waist
[ ]--- far spot (stand by), close spot (ready to assist position), very close spot (ready to assist with contact with bar or body)
[ ]--- help with lift off rack, etc.
o tell your spotter approximately how many repetitions you plan on completing on your own.
[ ]--- this will give your spotter an idea when they will transfer from a far spot to a close spot
  • Ask for a spot only on the last rep if needed
o do not expect the spotter to assist you beyond one assisted repetition
[ ]--- the purpose of the spotter is not to do the work for you
[ ]--- if you can not handle the weight by yourself
----> lighten the load to a weight what you can handle
----> leave your ego at the door
o rack the weight after your spotter has assisted you with one repetition
----> even if you did not complete your estimated number of repetitions
--- for a very close spot, this does not include the spotter holding onto bar or body as you complete the reps

Avoid arriving late to class

• Particularly for a yoga class when participants are finding their inner calmness
  • A noisy late entrance can disrupt the mood
Abstain from telling others they are using the equipment improperly

• Unless it is your job or someone's life is in danger
  • Certainly feel free to ask to assist anyone that appears to be struggling to figure out how to use an exercise machine

Wear appropriate apparel

• Wear workout clothes and athletic shoes in fitness area
o do not workout without shirt and athletic shoes, particularly on exercise equipment

Practice hygiene

• Avoid offensive body odors
o bathe regularly and use underarm deodorant
o release your farts where no one else can smell them
  • Wipe machines off before and after use
  • Wash hands to decrease spread of germs
o after using rest room
o after sneezing or coughing on your hand
o after workouts
  • Do not smoke anywhere near facility
o not even outside near entries
o utilize patches or do without

Do not bring young children to the gym

• Unless facility has child care services
  • A gym is not a playground and can be extremely dangerous

If you do not like the choice of music or what is playing on TV

• Ask others working out if they would mind if you request a change
  • Bring your own headset and portable music player
  • Do not bring your own audio equipment to the gym for others to hear

At water fountain/cooler

• If you are filling water bottle
o allow others behind you to use water fountain
o finish filling up your container after they are finished drinking
  • Do not spit or dispose of chewing gum in water fountain
o use toilet and trash receptacles

On track

• Walk in inside lanes
  • Pass on outside lanes
  • Travel counter-clockwise if a direction is not designated

In locker room

• Locker room attendance are not paid to be your personal maid service
o put toiletries back where they belong immediately after you have used them so others may use them
o wipe up water you spilt around sink counter top
o throw towels in designated bins after use
  • Showers
o leave shower the way you found it
o turn off water
o don't leave behind empty shampoo bottles or extra towels
  • Don't monopolize mirror space, hair dryers, or other accessories intended to be available for everyone's use
  • Be respectful of other people's belonging and personal space
o naked persons always have the right away
o if your belonging are on locker bench make space for others who come
  • Do not take cell phone out of case or gym bag
o turn off ringer before entering facility
o many facilities prohibit bring cell phones into locker facilities since they often have built in cameras

Portions adapted from: Ford C, DeMontravel J (2001), 21st-Century Etiquette, The Lyons Press, Guilford, CO, 271-272.

Alek

Awards
1) Drama-Queens (and I'm talking Men here actually). People who go to be seen, rather than to workout. There are these guys who make every single movement larger-than-life and as if on display. Like literally (look at me enter the gym, look at me pick up this weight, look at me lift it, look at how hardcore I am, I'll even throw the weights away and yell as I do so)... Most of these guys are actually the dudes who are proud they built 15inch guns on more AAS than a PRO uses.

They actually talk super-loud making sure everyone can hear them, and ussually come in groups. And when they talk to each-other, they make sure they are heard over everything else.

2) This ONE special group of dudes. They're like 5-6 dudes, and they come into the gym and literally take over an ENTIRE section of the gym, and like hold it up. With exercise? HECK NO. Anytime you look over its like 1 guy exercising, and 5 guys sitting around on the adjunct machines making corny 2nd-grade jokes... Their rate is about 1-set per 10 minutes... And this is with them taking up 6 machines. So 10 minutes for ONE of them to finish one set on one machine, as they're taking up 6 of them.

bigthick44

Awards
1. people that come to work out in guy harvey shirts and khaki shorts

2. when people linger on benches or machines

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
I dont know how many people ive pissed off because I generally hog the squat rack for about an hour and half. HAHA, but at the very least I use it for squats, lunges, deads and cleans.
Yea I do that 1-2 times a week. Some guy who always has an attitude was mad at me the other day for taking too long. It annoyed the hell out of me when he scoffed at me towards his friend who walked by but whatever.

I try to go to the gym in the morning but this semester I've been going in the evening so I don't get mad when I have to wait because it's my own fault for going when it's busy.

:bandit: I come here everyday just for the icons :far2t:

purebred

Yea I do that 1-2 times a week. Some guy who always has an attitude was mad at me the other day for taking too long. It annoyed the hell out of me when he scoffed at me towards his friend who walked by but whatever.
:laugh: forget that guy. if he wasn't a tool, he'd ask to work in with you. some people are too dumb to benefit themselves.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
:laugh: forget that guy. if he wasn't a tool, he'd ask to work in with you. some people are too dumb to benefit themselves.
seriously, Im really nice when people want to work in and I will generally offer for people to work in because the gym gets packed, but some people are such d!cks!

stosh517

stosh517

Awards
1. skinny boys with baseball caps on sideways who ask me how many sets i have left
2. people who dont clean up their weights
3. people who insist on having a 20 min convo with me between my sets
4. weight droppers
5. totally hot chicks who ask me if they"re squatting properly...man i hate that...

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
absolutely.

get it at my gym too.... i just want 5 - 10 mins to warm up... but despite the fact that there are 18 treadmills, i still have to wait for someone to get off.

It's always these fat or slightly fat females who walk on it for 120 - 130 mins at 2mph. The damn f***in machine actually has a SIGN saying "during peak periods of 5pm - 7pm, please limit your treadmill usage to 20 mins"
They can't read either... I was thinking about pointing that out to them, but fat females from my experience seem to take offense to everything.. don't want drama

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
1. when people give dirty looks, or are a$$holes about everything and just walked around pist.
2. when people curl on the squat rack

alternate 2. when I see guys do bicep curls 7 days a week and nothing else

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
1) Dropping dumbells and/or dropping dumbells for all to see

2) Not returning your plates to the weight tree
when the retards put the dumbells in the wrong spot

2. when they leave them all over the F'n floor and dont put them back.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
when the retards put the dumbells in the wrong spot

2. when they leave them all over the F'n floor and dont put them back.
Yea that is sooo annoying, dumbbells allllll over the damn gym.

I dont mind if someone is doing supersets with multiple different dumbbells, but damn put some of them back when you're done.

basspro

basspro

Awards
What about the guy that you have never seen before, he walks in, goes right up to the dumbells and does a set of curls, then leaves and you never see him again.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What about the guy that you have never seen before, he walks in, goes right up to the dumbells and does a set of curls, then leaves and you never see him again.

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

I spit out some water while reading this.

So true, so funny.:18::18::18:

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!:laugh:...good one!

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qVJR4Pg9zU"]YouTube - Do Unto Others: Screw With People At The Gym[/ame]

cmc

cmc

Awards
I was at the gym today and these two guys would not stfu. Unreal...I wanted to throw a plate at them. So I said to them,

"You two remind me of my ex girlfriend"
They look at me with a half grin and say " Why cus of the Spanish?"
I said, " No cus you don't stfu!"

Needless to say, the gym was a much quieter place after that remark...lol.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
I was at the gym today and these two guys would not stfu. Unreal...I wanted to throw a plate at them. So I said to them,

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!..word!

joelast

joelast

Awards
1.) people doing cross fit, taking up 1/2 the gym and throwing their empty bar to the ground because cross fit is so difficult they can't put 45 lbs to the ground peacefully.

2.) people who **** around and get in my way, I don't care if people are messing around in the gym as long as they don't disrupt my, or someone elses, workout.

purebred

Priceless :You_Rock_Emoticon:

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
1.) people doing cross fit, taking up 1/2 the gym and throwing their empty bar to the ground because cross fit is so difficult they can't put 45 lbs to the ground peacefully.

2.) people who **** around and get in my way, I don't care if people are messing around in the gym as long as they don't disrupt my, or someone elses, workout.

LOL these two idiots yesterday were sparring in the middle of the weight room.

I was just like .... >.>

maurice02

maurice02

Awards
  • Established
[/B]

LOL these two idiots yesterday were sparring in the middle of the weight room.

I was just like .... >.>
speaking of sparring, I think March must be the month for it. For the previous two days, I keep seeing wackos "trying" to do fighting moves in the mirror......and these are the most out of shape people i have seen in sometime. Plus I have never seen them in my gym.

And more and more folks are looking at their stomachs in the mirror to flex what abs they do or don't have. I am half tempted to whip out my uncut and squishy stomach and ask them what they think of it because they spend 75% of their time staring in the mirror so they must be experts of some kind.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Actually, I do that sort of stuff all the time. Of course at my gym there are 3 different rooms. I spend the majority of my time in the free weight area...but the DB's are in another room with the cable cross overs. I do my active recovery by walking into that room and doing a set of light curls or arm raises or whatever...then go back to my deads or squats or whatevers I was doing before.

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
1.) The "light bulb" f*ckers with HUGE upper body & piss ant sized legs

2.) People that have better genetics than me!! :laugh: jk truth be told, i envy you all :(

Eruspoena

Awards
People who leave weights on everything and people who grunt as loud as the can on every rep even warm up light reps. I cant focus when I can hear the grunts through my mp3 player.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
so tommorow im going to go do

50 sets of preacher curls yell on every rep pretend im a ufc fighter in the mirror while rapping along with my gucci mane in my headphones and slam the weights on the floor. while wearing my abercrombie and fitch shirt and ripped jeans with flip flops..

wat are the chances i get beat up

james1

james1

Banned
Awards
  • Established

50 sets of preacher curls yell on every rep pretend im a ufc fighter in the mirror while rapping along with my gucci mane in my headphones and slam the weights on the floor. while wearing my abercrombie and fitch shirt and ripped jeans with flip flops..

haha idk but set up a camera so if you do we can all watch!:laugh:

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have a "Wolfman" at my gym.. Seriously the most hairy thing in the world!.. Walks around in onw of those Tank tops that are extra slim to show more skin. The guy is like 50 I think. There is 4+ inches of hair comming off the shoulders!
It doesn't make me insain, but I sure should get a pic and post it for fun:scared:

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a "Wolfman" at my gym.. Seriously the most hairy thing in the world!.. Walks around in onw of those Tank tops that are extra slim to show more skin. The guy is like 50 I think. There is 4+ inches of hair comming off the shoulders!
It doesn't make me insain, but I sure should get a pic and post it for fun:scared:
DO IT!

still the twig legs wins the cake for me, if its because of genetics then i can let it slide on most but if you can just tell that this person never works legs then i feel like kicking those twigs out from under them

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1. The frat tards that are just a waste of O2

2. The insanely hot pieces of ass that are in the gym wearing volleyball shorts. They make it very hard to stay focused on my next set.

purebred

2. The insanely hot pieces of ass that are in the gym wearing volleyball shorts. They make it very hard to stay focused on my next set.
i just try to see it as motivation. try it sometime. results may be surprising :scratchchin:

or you just might end up finishing your set only to realize you have a bit of a bulge and the whole gym's looking at you. hey, if it helps, who cares? lol

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established

I'm starting to like chest day because one of the incline benches faces the treadmills which face the window so I get to start off my workout checking out the hot pieces of ass. There were guys on the treadmills this week so I wasn't as motivated so I'm hoping for more hot ass next week.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
DO IT!

still the twig legs wins the cake for me, if its because of genetics then i can let it slide on most but if you can just tell that this person never works legs then i feel like kicking those twigs out from under them
Cant blame genetics. I did this for years until i went harcore on legs for 3 months. Size went up insane amount. I think when some people are getting big up top, they just ignore legs.

I was at the gym today and we had this "lightbulb" guy that was super huge up top, ally mcbeal on the bottom singing john mayer like he was actually trying to be him. Wow it was annoying. And he sucked.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
1- how bout when somebody puts 315 on the decline bench to make it look like they're diesel to the females who have no idea that decline is half as hard as flat bench- and at that, the person never does flat bench

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
2- also the perv who is in the gym 24 hours a day and is sloppy because all he does is corner females and flap his jaw all day

purebred

someone should videotape someone going up to all these kinds of people and making them looking like complete idiots. i would pay money to see that.

cmc

cmc

Awards
1- how bout when somebody puts 315 on the decline bench to make it look like they're diesel to the females who have no idea that decline is half as hard as flat bench- and at that, the person never does flat bench
That was a good one.

crazilyfter42

Awards
Anyone who cares about other people in the gym...I could care less about what your wearing or doing just leave me alone and dont get in my way.

Old men who parade around the locker room all natural

People who don't un rack the equipment they use.

Eruspoena

Awards

You forgot to mention your hat or visor.

joshhh

joshhh

Awards
Oh, man....there was an old guy at my gym that walked around naked in the locker room...and stood in front of the mirror using a blow dryer to dry his sack..... :puke:

1. The New Years resolution people that clog the cardio machines until Mid March

2. the "howler monkeys"...guys that scream when doing DB shoulder presses with 45 lbs...i LOL'd
lmao

joshhh

joshhh

Awards
yea dude wtf im indian thats kinda offensive. Idk what u are but say ur white.. doubt u would like being refered to as the white guy who uses steroids cuz he cant get big naturally...and honestly thats the one thing i do look at is abs in the mirror to see if im getting a good squeeze etc.. its a different thing if u do it from a distance from the mirror but i mean after a set or 2 if u walk up close to the mirror and look i dont see how thats a problem.
how the hell is that offensive.
he was talking about one person, he didnt say anything to offend a whole race of people.