MMA and lifting

CJNator

Awards
I was looking to do MMA yet still lift, does anyone do this(split, volume, etc...) and how would one balance it out?

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do Muay Thai and lift. I try to lift in the am then Muay Thai at night. Some days I can't make it to the gym in the morning so I lift right before class. I guess you can say I use Muay Thai as my cardio. It's definitely hard, especially on heavy as fcuk leg day.

CJNator

Awards
I do Muay Thai and lift. I try to lift in the am then Muay Thai at night. Some days I can't make it to the gym in the morning so I lift right before class. I guess you can say I use Muay Thai as my cardio. It's definitely hard, especially on heavy as fcuk leg day.
Doesn't that tire you out for Muay Thai or are you use to it by now? I was thinking I would have to eat a **** ton more food to maintain my body weight, muscle, and strength.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Doesn't that tire you out for Muay Thai or are you use to it by now? I was thinking I would have to eat a **** ton more food to maintain my body weight, muscle, and strength.
It was hard at the beginning but I got use to it. I get a bit more winded but other than that, I'm fine. Losing gains was my biggest worry, too! I didn't want my muscles to disappear or lose strength. I think putting a big gap between them will help you! I try not to eat before Muay Thai because it makes me sick. I do get extremely hungry afterwards and want to eat everything.

CJNator

Awards
It was hard at the beginning but I got use to it. I get a bit more winded but other than that, I'm fine. Losing gains was my biggest worry, too! I didn't want my muscles to disappear or lose strength. I think putting a big gap between them will help you! I try not to eat before Muay Thai because it makes me sick. I do get extremely hungry afterwards and want to eat everything.
That doesn't sound bad at all, I was actually looking to Muay Thai. Thanks for the help, now I just got to look for a good place to do it.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That doesn't sound bad at all, I was actually looking to Muay Thai. Thanks for the help, now I just got to look for a good place to do it.
You're welcome! I'm looking for a new place myself. I may check out Team Alpha Male. :)

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I practiced BJJ and Muay Thai for 2 years and then moved over to Muay Thai and now just kick boxing exclusively for the last few years. Strength training is incredibly beneficial and when I was first starting, allowed me to easily over power opponents that had similar experience or even more. Strength and cardio even out skill to a certain point, so once your skill level increases, you have multiple advantages over others.

When I was training twice a week, I would strength train 3 days with leg concentration 2x and upper 1x. We do a lot of HIIT and kettelbell work, as well as the obvious training, so full body and cardio is well taken care of. Now I only go once a week, so I am back to a 4 day strength routine.

It will be an adjustment and expect setbacks in the gym until you get used to all the work. Sparring is WAY more taxing on the body than it may seem on paper.

CJNator

Awards
I practiced BJJ and Muay Thai for 2 years and then moved over to Muay Thai and now just kick boxing exclusively for the last few years. Strength training is incredibly beneficial and when I was first starting, allowed me to easily over power opponents that had similar experience or even more. Strength and cardio even out skill to a certain point, so once your skill level increases, you have multiple advantages over others.

When I was training twice a week, I would strength train 3 days with leg concentration 2x and upper 1x. We do a lot of HIIT and kettelbell work, as well as the obvious training, so full body and cardio is well taken care of. Now I only go once a week, so I am back to a 4 day strength routine.

It will be an adjustment and expect setbacks in the gym until you get used to all the work. Sparring is WAY more taxing on the body than it may seem on paper.
Which do you prefer? What you do now or what you did in the beginning?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I train and prefer kick boxing and krav maga/self defense. BBJ was fine and it was very interesting to learn different submissions and defense, but it is tough on the joints and really hurt areas outside of that training. We had a good gym with respect on taps and it was rare, but repetitive submissions still hurt if done right regardless.

Muay Thai was great and I loved the clinching and knees/elbows, but the training was brutal. I came into meetings with black eyes and marks all over from missed elbows and such when sparring. Unintentional, but when a knee or elbow comes in, it is going to do damage. I'm 41 and my career doesn't like me coming in looking like I just got out of a bar brawl.

Kick boxing is proving to be a real nice middle ground because there are no knees or elbows and the cardio is through the roof. But, it is still incredibly effective for any kind of self defense. I mainly use it for cardio purposes and to keep my kicks and throws sharp and only do light sparring now.

Krav Maga/tactical weapons training is what I really like. No frills, no drawn out battles, just technique on disabling someone and/or defending yourself. Plus, we have learned about the levels of threat, legalities, and other things you don't think about if you actually hurt someone.

Whatever you choose, make sure you have a good vibe because there are a lot of bad gyms with "tough guys" in there looking to, well, be tough. That is nonsense. Also, make sure there is an emphasis on full speed drills and sparring. You don't learn from hitting a bag.

CJNator

Awards
I train and prefer kick boxing and krav maga/self defense. BBJ was fine and it was very interesting to learn different submissions and defense, but it is tough on the joints and really hurt areas outside of that training. We had a good gym with respect on taps and it was rare, but repetitive submissions still hurt if done right regardless.

Muay Thai was great and I loved the clinching and knees/elbows, but the training was brutal. I came into meetings with black eyes and marks all over from missed elbows and such when sparring. Unintentional, but when a knee or elbow comes in, it is going to do damage. I'm 41 and my career doesn't like me coming in looking like I just got out of a bar brawl.

Kick boxing is proving to be a real nice middle ground because there are no knees or elbows and the cardio is through the roof. But, it is still incredibly effective for any kind of self defense. I mainly use it for cardio purposes and to keep my kicks and throws sharp and only do light sparring now.

Krav Maga/tactical weapons training is what I really like. No frills, no drawn out battles, just technique on disabling someone and/or defending yourself. Plus, we have learned about the levels of threat, legalities, and other things you don't think about if you actually hurt someone.

Whatever you choose, make sure you have a good vibe because there are a lot of bad gyms with "tough guys" in there looking to, well, be tough. That is nonsense. Also, make sure there is an emphasis on full speed drills and sparring. You don't learn from hitting a bag.
The Muay Thai, kick boxing, and krav maga sounds fun. Im probably going to lean towards that since I like playing a little ruff ;). Thanks for the great info!