MK-677 Insulin Resistance

TheBigBrodie

TheBigBrodie

Awards
  • Established
After being on Mk for the past 8 weeks my insulin resistance is on the high resulting in increased blood sugar (All according to my doctor) what methods should I use to lower this. Foods? Supplements? Etc. thanks!

greg916

Awards
After being on Mk for the past 8 weeks my insulin resistance is on the high resulting in increased blood sugar (All according to my doctor) what methods should I use to lower this. Foods? Supplements? Etc. thanks!
Just curious what is your fasted blood sugar reading and what dosage are you taking per day?

bobi593

bobi593

Awards
  • Established
Keto 1-2 weeks will fix you up

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm on mk677 with 100gr carbs a day on a bulk and it works wonders

bobi593

bobi593

Awards
  • Established
I also on mk , and ketogenic diet so insulin is not an issue , but recently I did carb up day, and man I got lethargic as fak::::

hotdawg

hotdawg

Awards
FWIW, I recently had the same issue and stopped after a 10 day run. My fasted blood sugar now is about 94, when I started taking 12.5 MK/night it rose to 107, and then the last night I took it I doubled to 25mg (just to test) and my measurement the next morning was a whopping 124.....I decided to stop it for a while, as I was only 10 days in.

Prior to taking MK I had never followed my blood sugar regularly, so I wanted to take time off of it and really track so I know what it should be "normally" before I take another stab at running MK - for all I know my blood sugar and/or insulin sensitivity sucked to begin with. I have looked into metformin and some other GDA's, but first things first I need to get an idea of what my natural baseline is.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Berberine 500mg/d.

MedRat

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Always Metformin, 500 to 1500mg a day. Metformin is a pretty safe substance thats been proven to extend healthspan and lifespan.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Look into SNS Glycophase. Amazing ingredient profile

user567

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Interesting. Do stims affect blood sugar?
There are a lot of bodybuilders (not just those on GH and MK677) showing up with high Blood Glucose levels. These are people who eat very good diets, workout like crazy etc. yet still high blood glucose. The leading theory is adrenal fatigue via stimulants. All of these pre workouts, caffeine, adderall , modafinil on and on. There is a good youtube video out there discussing it. Will track it down.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Genetic predisposition, high carb diets, MK, and GH ALL will lead to insulin sensitivity. Caffeine may be a factor but nothing of a player like the first 4 are.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Generally speaking, if you're using GH or a GH secretagogue and it's causing high blood sugar then you want a long acting insulin such as lantus to take the stress off your pancreas. 'Else you get the beetus.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Generally speaking, if you're using GH or a GH secretagogue and it's causing high blood sugar then you want a long acting insulin such as lantus to take the stress off your pancreas. 'Else you get the beetus.
Double edged though, cause once you get on the Lantus, you’re likely getting it anyways. I looked at it the same way as TRT, I’ve done enough damage I could just stop and give up my hobby, or come to terms that I’ll not only be on Test the rest of my life, but possibly insulin as well. Takes some of the stress off.

Brienn8989

Awards
  • Established
Else you get the beetus hahaha this has me laughing my ass off.

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Berberine 500mg/d.
I can totally see you sitting on a log in Paraguay as a shaman handing out herbs. You know more about plants than I know about my fiance. It's quite interesting how much nature has to offer haha

Brienn8989

Awards
  • Established
When would you dose the berberine hairygrandpa ?

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Berberine and Gymnema at 500 and 550mgs respectively have helped my blood sugar levels quite a bit.

I dose 500mgs berberine in the morning and then the berberine and gymnema preworkout.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When would you dose the berberine hairygrandpa ?
I did it mornings. There is a product on amazon I use, with 900mg Berberine HCL. Don't go over 900mg/d, got hypo on 1800mg.

Brienn8989

Awards
  • Established
I did it mornings. There is a product on amazon I use, with 900mg Berberine HCL. Don't go over 900mg/d, got hypo on 1800mg.
Thanks brother. Just picked up some from amazon. Going to try 500mg before a few meals a day.

Tiko1991

Awards
This is odd to me .... can someone explain this to me . I was under the impression mk would be lowering blood glucose and some people even experience the tingles from low blood sugar .

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is odd to me .... can someone explain this to me . I was under the impression mk would be lowering blood glucose and some people even experience the tingles from low blood sugar .

Read for yourself:

R. Nass, S.S. Pezzoli, M.C. Oliveri, J.T. Patrie, F.E. Harrell Jr., J.L. Clasey, S.B. Heymsfield, M.A. Bach, M.L. Vance, and M.O. Thorner. Effects of an Oral Ghrelin Mimetic on Body Composition and Clinical Outcomes in Healthy Older Adults. A Randomized Trial. 4 November 2008 issue of Annals of Internal Medicine (volume 149, pages 601-611).

Insulin Sensitivity
Appendix Figure 4 shows individual glucose and HbA1c responses. Mean fasting blood glucose levels did not change in the placebo group (0.0 mmol/L [CI, 0.3 to 0.2 mmol/L]; 1.0 mg/dL [CI, 5.0 to 3.0 mg/dL]) and increased 0.3 mmol/L (CI, 0.1 to 0.4 mmol/L; 5.0 mg/dL [CI, 2.0 to 7.0 mg/dL]; P= 0.015) in the MK-677 group. In 2 placebo recipients and 16 MK-677 recipients, fasting glucose increased from less than 5.6 mmol/L to 5.6 to 6.1 mmol/L [101 to 110 mg/dL]. In 3 MK-677 recipients with baseline fasting glucose concentrations less than 5.6 mmol/L [100 mg/dL] and 3 with concentrations greater than 5.6 mmol/L, glucose levels increased to 6.1 to 6.7 mmol/L (110 to 120 mg/dL) in 4 participants and to 6.9 mmol/L (125 and 126 mg/dL) in 2 participants. Mean HbA1c level decreased in the placebo group and increased in the MK-677 group (change, 0.1% [CI, 0.2% to 1.0%] vs. 0.2% [CI, 0.1% to 0.3%], respectively; P= 0.002); at 12 months, 8 participants had an HbA1c level greater than 6% (6.1% in 4, 6.3% in 3, and 6.4% in 1). Insulin sensitivity, as estimated by the Quicki Index, was also reduced after 12 months of treatment (P <0.001) (Appendix Table 8). One 81-year-old man had an increase in fasting blood glucose and HbA1c levels after crossing over from placebo to MK-677; after dose reduction and institution of a low-carbohydrate diet, the values returned to normal.

Discussion
Both growth hormone and MK-677 increase insulin resistance and blood glucose in elderly persons (22, 33, 41–42). We found statistically significant but small increases in fasting blood glucose and HbA1c levels at 12 months. Considering the results of short-term studies with MK-677 (9, 43),, which found no statistically significant increase in serum cortisol, the small increase in serum cortisol that we found is unlikely to underlie the increase in fasting glucose level.

9. Chapman IM, Bach MA, Van Cauter E, Farmer M, Krupa D, Taylor AM, . Stimulation of the growth hormone (GH)-insulin-like growth factor I axis by daily oral administration of a GH secretogogue (MK-677) in healthy elderly subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1996; 81:4249-57. PubMed
22. Plotkin D, Ng J, Farmer M, Gelato M, Kaiser F, Kiel D, . Use of MK-677, an oral GH secretagogue, in frail elderly subjects. Endocrinol Metab. 1997; 4:Suppl A35-36.
33. Blackman MR, Sorkin JD, Mnzer T, Bellantoni MF, Busby-Whitehead J, Stevens TE, . Growth hormone and sex steroid administration in healthy aged women and men: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2002; 288:2282-92. PubMed
41. del Rincon JP, Iida K, Gaylinn BD, McCurdy CE, Leitner JW, Barbour LA, . Growth hormone regulation of p85alpha expression and phosphoinositide 3-kinase activity in adipose tissue: mechanism for growth hormone-mediated insulin resistance. Diabetes. 2007; 56:1638-46. PubMed
42. Murphy MG, Weiss S, McClung M, Schnitzer T, Cerchio K, Connor J, , MK-677/Alendronate Study Group. Effect of alendronate and MK-677 (a growth hormone secretagogue), individually and in combination, on markers of bone turnover and bone mineral density in postmenopausal osteoporotic women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001; 86:1116-25. PubMed
43. Svensson J, Lnn L, Jansson JO, Murphy G, Wyss D, Krupa D, . Two-month treatment of obese subjects with the oral growth hormone (GH) secretagogue MK-677 increases GH secretion, fat-free mass, and energy expenditure. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism. 1998; 83:362-9. PubMed

Discussion
The use of GH in elderly patients is limited due to the frequent occurrence of adverse effects, such as carbohydrate intolerance or fluid retention (15, 18). Although it was anticipated that MK-677 might reduce the incidence of these adverse effects by producing a more physiological pattern of GH release, adverse effects did occur; 25 patients (8.2%) discontinued the study due to a drug-related adverse experience, including 2 patients with hypertension, 2 with fluid retention, and 3 patients who became hyperglycemic. These changes reversed after discontinuation of treatment.........The 3 patients who became hyperglycemic. These changes reversed after discontinuation of treatment.

Discussion
Fasting levels of glucose and insulin were unchanged in the present study, but the OGTT demonstrated an impaired glucose homeostasis after 2 and 8 weeks of MK-677 treatment. The tendency to an improvement from 2 to 8 weeks of treatment is probably not explainable by changes in GH secretion, because the GH response to MK-677 was similar at 2 and 8 weeks of treatment. A similar pattern has been observed in a study of GH deficiency, in which an initial deterioration of insulin resistance was restored to baseline values after 6 months of GH treatment (44). Skeletal muscle is the major site of glucose disposal (45), IGF-I stimulates glucose transport into skeletal muscle in vitro (46), and GH treatment of hypophysectomized rats increases the proportion of insulin-sensitive type I muscle fibers (47). Therefore, the increase in FFM found in the present study or any related changes in muscle metabolism or morphology that may have occurred might help to explain the improvement in glucose homeostasis between 2 and 8 weeks of treatment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
IGF-1/GH 3
Supplements 51
Anabolics 4
FRITZBLITZ IGF-1/GH 9
Anabolics 4