Votes: 14 5.7%
  • protein/carb shake

Votes: 34 13.8%

• Total voters
Ronin13

Ronin13

Awards
  • Established
I just read your previous post..... holy crap... no more wpi for me... only noXplode, 17-HD and BCAA's!!!!! I will wait for the pwo shake to have my proteins.

Thanks LMD!!!!

Either way having any sort of carbohydrate drink (even if it has protein) is not a good idea unless you are drinking half gatorade and half water on a really long leg day or something.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Lake, what do you think of this product from allthewhey: http://store.store-allthewhey.com/rejuvenix66.html

I was thinking about trying that with some added EXCELL for a during workout shake. Then whole foods with a low GI, 30 min pre and 30 min post workout.....
Well I mean if you read those studies that I posted it says Carbs during exercise just isn't a great idea. Not to mention the fact that the higher your insulin levels are during exercise, the less fat your body is going to oxidize (according to those studies anyway). Excell is fine because it is just BCAA's, however.

I mean everybody has their own beliefs though. Some seems to think a shake during a workout is fine. I, however, try to stick to science as much as possibel and I also like to stay as lean as possible (comes with the terrirtory of being an ecto as well as muscle loss).

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the reply...I like staying lean as well. Maybe I will just get some bulk creatine and a couple other goodies to add to excell for a during workout drink along with water of course....

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
thanks for the reply...I like staying lean as well. Maybe I will just get some bulk creatine and a couple other goodies to add to excell for a during workout drink along with water of course....
Yeah and who knows.......maybe Anabolic Innovations will be coming out with a pre-workout formula :ntome:

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I take 20g leucine and 30g dextrose in workouts, reason being they take 30-60mins to be absorbed and I want them in my system permanantly during and post workout.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I take 20g leucine and 30g dextrose in workouts, reason being they take 30-60mins to be absorbed and I want them in my system permanantly during and post workout.
Do as you wish but the insulin spike will do you no good during a workout.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
LMD, what is your opinion of Avant Labs supercarb? I've been utilizing it in my pre/during/post-workout shake with great success while cutting for the last few months.

Syr

Syr

Hot Italian Goldmember
Awards
  • Established
I use Accelerade in 500ml water (instead of 4oz as suggested) + a drop of lemon juice and 100mg magnesium which is lacking in the formula that is otherwise perfect for while training drink.

I think it has improved recovery, but i'm also on a trans DHEA cycle and THAT could be the main reason ;)

ECTOmorph

ECTOmorph

Awards
  • Established
I didnt read all of the previous posts, but here is what I do and why

As of right now I sip on BCAAs and EAAs (EAAs only cuz I got them for free) during workout only. I also like to add about 15g of dextose although I dont do this all the time.

Im using XTEND and Purple Wraath. Once they are done, Im switching to Bulk BCAAs only (NOW's) and mixing it with sugar free kool-aid.

I do not eat any whole food or protein shakes withing 30 minutes before working out or while working out becasuse (A) Digesting food recruits more blood flow to the GI tract, more blood flow to the GI tract = less blood flow to the muscles, which = less nutrients and oxygen to muscles, and less waste products removed, (B)Protein digestion raises cortisol levels more that carb or fat digestion....taking protein during or immediately before workout will raise cortisol levels, something we dont want during workout. So put A and B together and thas reason enough for me!!

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Dextrose will get into your bloodstream much faster than 30 minutes.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Do as you wish but the insulin spike will do you no good during a workout.
What are the arguments against elevated insulin levels during exercise?

Also, not that I am advocating dextrose (I happen to think it's junk food) but depending on intensity, exercise will blunt or negate the insulin response by immediately using the glucose for energy. There may not necessarily be an insulin spike.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
(B)Protein digestion raises cortisol levels more that carb or fat digestion....taking protein during or immediately before workout will raise cortisol levels, something we dont want during workout.
:think: When would you ever want to raise cortisol levels?

I have never heard of food consumption raising cortisol. Any links or studies?

hurdlemaker

hurdlemaker

Awards
  • Established
i usually just put some BCAAs in a gatorade to drink while im lifting.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
Ive been taking 1 or 2 scoops of primaforce's EAA producte starting about halfway into my workouts, and I like it.

juggernaut333

Awards
  • Established
lake,those studies say protein consumption dont they?but your talking about carb ingestion further down?
this is good discussion guys.personally i take 30g or so of whey isolate 20min before i workout with my supps.NO carbs to spike slin levels as thats just crazy imo,i like to stay lean and no have a sugar crash during w/o!
the pre workout protein imo is very important as it gives the body the aminos to prevent catabolism and give a jumpstart on pwo recovery instead of eating your muscles and starting from scratch pwo.plus having high levels of alanine from the protein is one of the keys here to preventing catabolism.
main point is to use isolate,as it has to be easily digestable and absorbable otherwise its not gonna work right.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I HIGHLY doubt 25-30g of carbs consumed over an hour period is going to cause a large insulin spike or any kind of energy crash. 80g+ slammed immediately PWO is another story.

When I'm working out for an hour or more (especially if i'm gonna do some cardio after lifting) I'll sip a mix of about 10g BCAAs, 25g Carbs (Gatorade, Koolaid, etc), maybe 5 or 10g unflavored whey, and maybe some creatine.

MegaCalf

Awards
I buy a large shake before I lift and drink the whole thingthroughout my entire workout.

East1600Plus

East1600Plus

Awards
  • Established
i plan on buying some stamin02 (ergopharm) its citrulline malate it says take 1 serving immediately before working out do u think it would be good to drink some of it during the workout?

GREENFEATHER

GREENFEATHER

Awards
You didn't have a carb only so I voted for carbs aminos. I might start adding aminos to my workout shake. I've been using a Vitargo/ WMS blend for a few weeks and I'm seeing some good things from it.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
My latest thing has been taking a citrus flavored EAA blend like primaforce's EAA, and adding additional 10g's of glutamine, (sometimes xtra L-Luecine as well, but ussually I leave that for the PWO shake.)
And citrus flavored immune system supplement like "airborne", or one of the chain drugstore knock offs of it.
I ussually wait till the stomach wrenching work is done for the wkout. (IE:after squats/leg press/hack squat/deadlifts.) That way I dont barf as often during workouts. Then sip on it till Im done, then change clothes and then drink the protien/carb shake, w/ more glutamine and L-Luecine and sometimes creatine in it.
Then I go home and eat a protien/carb meal 1-2 hours after that.
This has worked well for me. Im happy w/ it and plan to continue this method for awhile.

micjakson

micjakson

Awards
hey all. I've been thinking about getting ICE just to try it out for a "during workout" drink. Should I add carbs? And if so, what kind of carbs; Dex? Malto? Fructose? And with the ICE, just one serving is enough?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
IV been using size on the last 30 min of my work out than at the end physique. Than two hours after another physique shake.

UnicronSpawn

UnicronSpawn

Awards
  • Established
hey all. I've been thinking about getting ICE just to try it out for a "during workout" drink. Should I add carbs? And if so, what kind of carbs; Dex? Malto? Fructose? And with the ICE, just one serving is enough?
The general concensus here seems to now be that the carbs are best in the POST wkout shake, and that a SEPERATE shake be used for DURING. (IE: amino blend w/out carbs)

CarterMalone

CarterMalone

Awards
Is there any benifit in drinking just juice during a workout? straight up high GI juice from concentrate? I have plenty of protein before and after a workout, so I dont need to worry about that.

I read an article that had research to prove the testosterone and growth hormone went down when using protein during a workout. It had something to do with the cortisol levels lowering. Ill try and find it right now, lol. It was on ABCbodybuilding.com

bnr

bnr

Awards
I like taking bulk bcaas mixed with crystal light during my workouts, I'll probably give Purple Wraath a try once I'm done with my bulk bcaas

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
post workout drinks are VERY important. 2:1 carbs/protein.
I take in 70g of maltodextrin and around 30g of protein with BCAA's caps, oh and 5g of glutamine. I often hear ppl say taking that much simple carbs at once will "make me fat" well if it does you are obviously not training balls to the wall like I do.

Pound4Pound

Pound4Pound

Awards
Intra-workout I've been taking a blend of about 20g BCAA (4:1:1 leucine being the highest), 40g WMS, some creatine and taurine. I like it, the carbs seem the help with endurance and I've definitely been making gains.

Pound4Pound

Pound4Pound

Awards
The general concensus here seems to now be that the carbs are best in the POST wkout shake, and that a SEPERATE shake be used for DURING. (IE: amino blend w/out carbs)
Studies show that CHO feedings during prolonged exercise can delay fatigue. I realize not all of the following studies involve weightlifting but I believe they still hold merit.

Serotonin and Central Nervous System Fatigue: Nutritional Considerations
When subjects consumed the CHO solution, fatigue was delayed by ~1 h.

Carbohydrate availability and muscle energy metabolism during intermittent running
"...CHO-E ingestion improves endurance capacity during intermittent high-intensity running..."

Carbohydrate supplementation improves moderate and high-intensity exercise in the heat

Higher dietary carbohydrate content during intensified running training results in better maintenance of performance and mood state
"These findings indicate that an increase in dietary CHO content... allowed better maintenance of physical performance and mood state over the course of training"

Carbohydrates and physical/mental performance during intermittent exercise to fatigue
"CHO ingestion resulted in a 37% longer run time to fatigue and faster 20-m sprint time during QTR-4"

Carbohydrate drinks delay fatigue during intermittent, high-intensity cycling in active men and women
"Plasma glucose and insulin were higher, RPE for the legs was lower, and time to fatigue was longer in CHO than P."

Effects of branched-chain amino acids and carbohydrate on fatigue during intermittent, high-intensity running
"Subjects ran longer when fed either CHO or CHO+BCAA as compared to P, with no differences between CHO and CHO+BCAA."

Carbohydrate supplementation spares muscle glycogen during variable-intensity exercise
"These results suggest that CHO supplementation can enhance prolonged continuous variable-intensity exercise by reducing dependency on muscle glycogen as a fuel source."

Water versus carbohydrate-electrolyte fluid replacement during loaded marching under heat stress
"CHO-E offers potential to enhance exercise capacity by elevating blood glucose and thereby preventing hypoglycemia, maintaining high rates of carbohydrate oxidation, and/or preventing central fatigue"

Carbohydrate supplementation improves stroke performance in tennis
"The data prove that CHO intake may facilitate the maintenance of physical quality during long-lasting intermittent exercise to fatigue."

A carbohydrate beverage with additional protein calories produced significant improvements in time to fatigue and reductions in muscle damage in endurance athletes
"A carbohydrate beverage with additional protein calories produced significant improvements in time to fatigue and reductions in muscle damage in endurance athletes. Further research is necessary to determine whether these effects were the result of higher total caloric content of the CHO+P beverage or due to specific protein-mediated mechanisms."

for good measure...
The effect of a carbohydrate and protein supplement on resistance exercise performance, hormonal response, and muscle damage
"These results suggest the use of a CHO-PRO supplement during resistance training to reduce muscle damage and soreness."

and a good one on taurine...
Decreased blood levels of lactic acid and urinary excretion of 3-methylhistidine after exercise by chronic taurine treatment in rats
"These results indicate taurine treatment is useful for reducing physical fatigue and muscle damage during exercise training in rats, presumably due to antioxidant property and improvement of muscle and cardiac functions by taurine."

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
I can't afford BCAA's on top of buying whey. Frankly, when BCAA's seem to go for about $25 for 500 lousy grams, I don't think they're even worth it, I can dump my protein powder of choice into some fat free milk and there I have a much wider array of amino acids which includes BCAA's, and some simple carbs from the milk. It seems to me the only difference is I'm taking in more calories, since BCAA's are very calorie efficient by themselves. However, if you train seriously, the extra 200 cals or so hardly matters.
I can see where if you were on a very strict cut BCAA's would certainly have their place, they're just priced far too ridiculously imo to be a practical supplement for anyone who doesn't have money to burn.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
All I know is when I have a drink during my workout that contains carbs,no matter what kind, I feel a lot less like crap after my workouts.

Right now I am doing:
Pre and during: Purple Wrath, 8 oz grape juice, and 40 g Maltodextrin
Immediately Post: 70g Waxy Maize,10g creatine,10g BCAA's

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
pre WO
Oats/Banana/Whey w. Poseidon

peri WO
1 Scoop Size On,
8g BCAAs,
1 scoop Poseidon

Post WO
40g Whey, 50g Dextrose, 5g Spirulina, 8g BCAAs

Post Post WO (1hr later)
Whole Food meal

Aggression

Aggression

Awards
Intra-Aid by universal nutrition.

Just bought this and its awesome.

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
for most pple on here who are just resistance training, it's not gonna benefit you much to take in amino's are carbs during your session... that is assuming your routine is under an hour

Your digestive system slows down substantially during heavy exercise, so alot of the carbs you'd be ingesting won't even be absorbed till your workout ends

All of those studies are aimed at athletes who are performing exercise for long periods of time... like 2 hours plus

CellWarrior

CellWarrior

Awards
  • Established
Well I voted No...

I drink Heavy Weight Gainer 900 1hr Before.. Then Creatine and N.O... about 20min Later. My Work Outs last for about 45min. Just drink water during. Then Slam another Heavy Weight Gainer as soon as I'm done. I make sure to finish the Shake with in 45min of my work out.