dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
One of the TV shows that I'm not sure if it is one, but I really hate, well 2 of them.

1. The Real OC (Orange County) Housewives
2. Sex and the City.

I really, really, really, really hate Sex and the City. All that show portrays is the world is a woman's oyster for sex and men's money. Concidently my ex used to love that show and she was like that. Go figure.

I should have seen that one coming.
Wow, I agree with Reaper.

I find this trend in the minds of women to be repugnant. Promiscuity is a choice, and one that cannot be erased when you feel it is time to "settle down", nor is it "my past, therefore my business"....what it does is speak of character, which any prospective mate has the absolute right to know.

"Hey, given condition a, b, and c I turn into a non-discriminating bar slut"

Umm...ok, well it was nice meeting you and good luck with your life.

To be completely fair, I am not nor have I ever been remotely promiscuous, and it is NOT ok for men either, so the double-standard argument holds no water.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
dsade-

This is probably the thing that pissed me off the absolute most about my ex. Her (and her friends) lived the Sex and the City mentality. For them it was men were supposed to fall to their knees and cater to them.

At the time I wasn't at my current job and still in college so having to afford to buy her all these nice things was difficult and it was so expensive. To her though, she didn't really care about my own financial needs, but only her own fantasy which was propagated by these perverted TV shows like Sex and the City.

Well, lo and behold, it is impossible to please someone like this and she eventually bailed. On top of that I was:

- Cheap (well, not really I just didn't feel like buying all the time)

- A loser (because I didn't buy everything she wanted)

- Didn't love her enough (once again, didn't buy everything)

So not only at the time did I deal with my ex-gf jumping ship, but she conviently left me with a damaged ego and low self-esteem and sad. Thanks for nothing assho|e.

To her (and her friends), I (and probably other guys as well), were just a means to an end and all part of the 'Sex and the City' fantasy that many of those bastards play out in their head.

It isn't that I'm bitter and before I get called out and shlt for being 'jaded or bitter', its not even that. It is that there is always the other side of the story, and for one person's happy go lucky experience, it came at my own expense. The lack of empathy involved is always a nice touch as well.

Thank goodness, I don't put up with that bullshlt anymore, that was a lesson hard-learned.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now we get to the crux of the issue:

Mullet, I don't blame you since you are taught to just look at a statistic and "nuff said" right? is it Nuff said?

"Hmm...the judicial system? No, try again..."

Yes, the judicial system. Great one. So, by your beliefs and statistics, the greater number of men as judges would then give men the advantage. You cite this as the belief that more male judges give more males power...in the form of preferential treatment under the law.

Isn't that so? Having more men as judges would give men the advantage right? So, in fact a man that goes before a judge has a much greater chance of being in front of a male judge and this then equates into preferential treatment? Right? "try again" Right, isn't that what you said "try again"?

So, if there are more men on the bench and men have more power and thus preferential treatment, then why are men sentenced more harshly?

Rape
Female 117 Months
Male 159 Months

Aggravated Assault
Female 49 Months
Male 83 Months

Buglary
Females 46 Months
Males 66 Monts

Larceny
Females 36 Months
Males 48 Months

This is the myth my friends and why it is USELESS to spout off a bunch of statistics without looking further into them. Isn't the point of POWER to give oneself preferential treatment? Shouldn't more male judges translate into men have the advantage in court and the lesser prison sentences? This is the BULLSHIT I am talking about. The fleecing of our ability to have compassion for ourselves as men.

The point is that men do indeed have more control but that control is largely (in my arguement) used to benefit WOMEN and further eroding of men and the portrayal of men as "animals" and "power mongers" that benefit men only is wrong and destructive to ALL people...men and women.
Despite all your fire and rhetoric, your points were still made poorly. I do not look at statistics and say, 'Nuff said', but apparently you do. For example, your 96% death rate is not a causal indicator of unfairly differentiated wages, one must look into it further and see a common link.

Organizational structures (employment structures) have been found to have a bias in reproducing dominant masculine norms, specifically in respects to 'male' conceived positions - these positions being 'dangerous', 'labour', or 'high power' occupations. In both respects, that puts men in more positions of power i.e., higher wage, as well at more dangerous positions i.e., a higher death rate. Bias does not mean women 'choose' (ridiculous notion on your part, btw) to be denied these positions, nor do men necessarily consciously deny them.

Onto your judicial statement. As you misunderstood me, I'll tackle both your misinterpreted response, as well as speaking about the original intent of the statement.

Your misinterpreted response:

Despite you ferociously digging, I am sure, to find a point that is valid enough to warrant discussion, this is not it. Sentences are levied in terms of severity of crimes, and none of your stats speak to the exact nature of any of the crimes committed. Further, one also needs to dig deeper, in light of your suggestion, and find that most of the male sentencing is racially disproportionate - that is, over 70% of incarcerated males are black, while only comprising about 55% of arrestees. Combine that with consistently longer sentencing times of Black males over either white or black females, and it appears you may have let out with, 'nuff said', upon regurgitating these statistics.

The initial intent:

The intent of that statement was not to suggest that men or women would receive preferential treatment during sentencing. The intent was to expose gender differentiation in occupational structures, even at the highest level. Employment bias has become legalized (good book, btw), and it permeates every occupation. If you do wish to speak about legalized bias, I am game for that. I spent a whole semester on that!

As towards your comment of female power somehow degrading masculinity, that is incorrect as well (for a man so hellbent on pointing out my short-comings of analysis, you may as well be a midget of debate). Hegemonic masculinity itself degrades the male form via locking men and boys into unfair systems of power, authority, and control, that are destructive to all.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I find that show disgusting too, yet even more disgusting is "Mad About You" where Paul Riser is treated like a complete idiot and always apologizing.

The issue I had with your statements Mullet is not that they are not good fodder for discussion, but that men need a place to discuss their issues without the propaganda being thrown in their faces in such a vicious way. Taking stats like you do without looking at the full ramifications are EXACTLY what the feminists do. The statistic "Men have more judicial power" Look deeper and you will see it isn't at all the case. Men are on the receiving end of hard criminal penalties that women do not have to endure.

Men in my eyes are like the traditional "battered wife syndrome"...so quick to assume the blame and that they are "bad" when in reality men are not "bad" most men don't rape or abuse women and in reality I would say that minus the physical differences, more women hit men than men hit women. I personally have been struck by a woman and it went unreported since the damage wasn't severe (obviously).

The book details that women even admit that they are more likely to strike a man then be struck. I understand the damage differences but the reality is that physical violence is pretty common for both sexes.

Also, an interesting poll showed that 94% of men feel that they have been pressured into sex. The reasons for not wanting sex are clearly different (men usually don't want the commitment aspects) and 97% of women have been pressured for sex. Only a 3% difference. Still, this can be further broken down...I have been with quite a lot of women and most of them ASK me to spank them. Also, many of my female friends in college told me of dumping guys because they are not "men"...one girl went so far as to dump a guy because he asked her if he can kiss her. She said "I don't want to be asked to be kissed, I want him to have the balls to do it.

The book details that at one point the most popular female purchased book was a tale where a man raped a woman and then she went to the prison and fell in love with him... Weird best seller isn't it? Over half of the TV mini-series depict women as the victims of violent struggles... (You know the classic Woman's Husband Abuses Her and She Lights Him On Fire...stories). Men in these stories are depicted as 100% at fault and near animals...the women depicted as completely innocent victims.
As I said, ironically, your stats are short-sighted, and I am sure, deliberately so. What I find hilarious is your inability to dig deeper into the statistics. I am sure you were utterly joyous when you found a stat, seemingly incontrovertibly proving your point! However, obviously, you did not even consider the racial element. That unfortunately exposes your lack of critical engagement with the literature you are using - and further, knowledge of the social structure at large.

Believe LG, stringent feminists piss me off; as do stringent environmentalists; stringent vegans; or stringent masculinists; my point is a level and equitable playing field for all. While I respect your intent, it is poorly made because of its inherently one-sided nature. In your quest to restore male rights - which in itself is an oxymoronical quest - you are forgetting female rights. Further, if your quest was about 'everyone', why have you not at one point mentioned racially differentiated inequity within an intra-gender context? Are black males not as important was white ones?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What I was saying is that if you trust the logic and statistics from Mullet Soldier, then men should have the lesser sentence since men hold the power and the use of that power should equate into lesser sentences. However it is the opposite: men hold the power, but it equates into HIGHER prison sentences. I think all prison sentences should be the same yet somehow for all of this power "men" have we are penalized at a much higher rate.
Wrong again (geez, now we both sound like a broken record).

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Women are no more disadvantage then men. Rape stats are not an indication of Social Status, there crimes Stats.

Who gets rape and why has nothing to do with socials norms sense rape is not condoned as a social norm. If men get shot more, what does that makes us?
Well, the problem here is that sexuality is a norm, bk. Unfortunately, gun rights, for example, are normative as well. So, yes, rape is an indicator of socio-economic status (impoverished black females are raped twice as often as white middle class females) as well as social norms (hegemonic masculinity).

Also, social norms also allow for the majority of women to choose there mate.
Agreed. However, that is more evolutionary-biological rather than normative; females of any species are vested with the responsibility to ensure only the highest quality genes are accepted. Therefore, it is their responsibility to choose the mates which they feel pose the highest opportunity for survival and quality reproduction. If you and LG wish to cry foul in that respect, you best start with nature.

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
We've all been through that before and I need to be honest here, I do believe that women are much worse and hurtful after a relationship. My fiance and I were just discussing it this morning and she admits that women are much more vengeful in general than men in her opinion.

I have been on the receiving end of this. The point of this forum is to honestly provide support for guys that are going through some of this ****. After a relationship, honestly getting laid was last on my list. I was hurt and reflective. Women often play the "I will call to see if he still wants me" game, only to find out you still want her and then she will act like you are annoying and a psycho. I see the games women play with their exes and it sickens me. I have been on the receiving end of these on more occasions than not.

I coached a woman on how to best handle her ex (who obviously still loved her) she refused to listen and the guy eventually snapped. I told her to tell him each time he calls "You are a good looking guy. Our relationship is over, but you don't need me and will find someone else." That is the proper way to break up with someone. She refused to do that, instead string him along and he went nuts... From the outside he is a nut and she has a sob story...right? Yet, I TOLD her how to avoid this and she chose not to...

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
We've all been through that before and I need to be honest here, I do believe that women are much worse and hurtful after a relationship. My fiance and I were just discussing it this morning and she admits that women are much more vengeful in general than men in her opinion.

I have been on the receiving end of this. The point of this forum is to honestly provide support for guys that are going through some of this ****. After a relationship, honestly getting laid was last on my list. I was hurt and reflective. Women often play the "I will call to see if he still wants me" game, only to find out you still want her and then she will act like you are annoying and a psycho. I see the games women play with their exes and it sickens me. I have been on the receiving end of these on more occasions than not.

I coached a woman on how to best handle her ex (who obviously still loved her) she refused to listen and the guy eventually snapped. I told her to tell him each time he calls "You are a good looking guy. Our relationship is over, but you don't need me and will find someone else." That is the proper way to break up with someone. She refused to do that, instead string him along and he went nuts... From the outside he is a nut and she has a sob story...right? Yet, I TOLD her how to avoid this and she chose not to...
what i've been trying to say.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
LG, I am not trying to take the piss out of your lil' He-Man Woman Haters Club. If you want to 'spout off' with regurgitated statistics and improper analysis, be my guest.

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Despite all your fire and rhetoric, your points were still made poorly. I do not look at statistics and say, 'Nuff said', but apparently you do. For example, your 96% death rate is not a causal indicator of unfairly differentiated wages, one must look into it further and see a common link.

Organizational structures (employment structures) have been found to have a bias in reproducing dominant masculine norms, specifically in respects to 'male' conceived positions - these positions being 'dangerous', 'labour', or 'high power' occupations. In both respects, that puts men in more positions of power i.e., higher wage, as well at more dangerous positions i.e., a higher death rate. Bias does not mean women 'choose' (ridiculous notion on your part, btw) to be denied these positions, nor do men necessarily consciously deny them.

Onto your judicial statement. As you misunderstood me, I'll tackle both your misinterpreted response, as well as speaking about the original intent of the statement.

Your misinterpreted response:

Despite you ferociously digging, I am sure, to find a point that is valid enough to warrant discussion, this is not it. Sentences are levied in terms of severity of crimes, and none of your stats speak to the exact nature of any of the crimes committed. Further, one also needs to dig deeper, in light of your suggestion, and find that most of the male sentencing is racially disproportionate - that is, over 70% of incarcerated males are black, while only comprising about 55% of arrestees. Combine that with consistently longer sentencing times of Black males over either white or black females, and it appears you may have let out with, 'nuff said', upon regurgitating these statistics.

The initial intent:

The intent of that statement was not to suggest that men or women would receive preferential treatment during sentencing. The intent was to expose gender differentiation in occupational structures, even at the highest level. Employment bias has become legalized (good book, btw), and it permeates every occupation. If you do wish to speak about legalized bias, I am game for that. I spent a whole semester on that!

As towards your comment of female power somehow degrading masculinity, that is incorrect as well (for a man so hellbent on pointing out my short-comings of analysis, you may as well be a midget of debate). Hegemonic masculinity itself degrades the male form via locking men and boys into unfair systems of power, authority, and control, that are destructive to all.

I can find plenty of stats and examples to support my perspective and I think overwhelmingly the bias is toward men being at fault in the media and society...not the other way around. What I am trying to do is provide some balance to what we get in the media and from the feminists.

The point to this most recent discussion is that occupational differences don't equate to "power", which is what you argue in 80% of your statements. Occupational differences and earning differences are a very simple part of a very complex discussion on who holds real power in society.

It is very easy to say that men make more so they hold more power, yet I have given one example of how it is not that simple and have provided other examples of the inequality (unless you consider 57,000 men in Vietnam trivial).

Quite honestly, you are the only person in this discussion being insulting with your insinuating "ferociously digging" comments. You know what I did last night? I went running, hit the treadmill and watched Family Guy. I wasn't ferociously digging into anything.

Discussions with you are pointless, not because you don't have good points, but because of your condescending tone and argumentative attitude. So typical of people on boards...

As for your comments on "black men" vs. white men. I am really not going to dignify that since so many ill fated conclusions can be drawn when you start to slice up racial issues. I view "black men" as MEN. Sorry, I came across many interesting stats on black males, but I chose not to separate them because I think black people need to be counted as just "people" at some point... we don't need to constantly put a label of "black" on someone when it is convenient. I am sure your violence and rape statistics would change if you view "black men" as different from "other men" and since you didn't decide to go down that road, why would I?

As usual, your points are simply shining the light on the inequalities that men have over women while completely ignoring the opposite... Objectification? Are you serious? Why even put that in there when men are subjected to similar media bias just not sexual.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established

Usually women just ignore the guy. The guy is obviously upset so he goes after her and just loses more self-respect and dignity in the process.

Then this is more ammo on why he is 'such a loser.'

Likewise, I've seen my own friends lose all their self-respect and dignity in the process of losing a relationship. It is sad to watch.

The worst, and I mean absolute WORST part about this is that they all had very good intentions about everything.

To their ex's they were psychos and losers. :(

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can find plenty of stats and examples to support my perspective and I think overwhelmingly the bias is toward men being at fault in the media and society...not the other way around. What I am trying to do is provide some balance to what we get in the media and from the feminists.

The point to this most recent discussion is that occupational differences don't equate to "power", which is what you argue in 80% of your statements. Occupational differences and earning differences are a very simple part of a very complex discussion on who holds real power in society.

It is very easy to say that men make more so they hold more power, yet I have given one example of how it is not that simple and have provided other examples of the inequality (unless you consider 57,000 men in Vietnam trivial).

Quite honestly, you are the only person in this discussion being insulting with your insinuating "ferociously digging" comments. You know what I did last night? I went running, hit the treadmill and watched Family Guy. I wasn't ferociously digging into anything.

Discussions with you are pointless, not because you don't have good points, but because of your condescending tone and argumentative attitude. So typical of people on boards...

As for your comments on "black men" vs. white men. I am really not going to dignify that since so many ill fated conclusions can be drawn when you start to slice up racial issues. I view "black men" as MEN. Sorry, I came across many interesting stats on black males, but I chose not to separate them because I think black people need to be counted as just "people" at some point... we don't need to constantly put a label of "black" on someone when it is convenient. I am sure your violence and rape statistics would change if you view "black men" as different from "other men" and since you didn't decide to go down that road, why would I?

As usual, your points are simply shining the light on the inequalities that men have over women while completely ignoring the opposite... Objectification? Are you serious? Why even put that in there when men are subjected to similar media bias just not sexual.
I don't think you are grasping it, so this will be my last point. You are reducing very complex issues into male vs., female, when it is not the case. Nor did you understand my issue on race - it was to show your unequal time for equal crime argument, like all of your arguments, were short-sighted and flawed. You claimed that males receive longer sentencing, and I explained to you why. Unfortunately, black males are subject to longer sentencing for parallel crimes than any other population sub-group; therefore, those incarceration stats skew the broader context of male incarceration rates. However, I suppose you would claim that North America is void of racism, as well?

In any respect, you still have not come up with anything to objectively enforce any of your opinionated or rhetorical claims - period. I can say, "People say the sky is blue..the media tells you that BULLSHIT after the blue-skyists propagate it. It's BULLSHIT", but it does not make it true: when I look outside, the sky is still, well, blue.

As well LG, your purpose is better served via being pro-male, as opposed to anti-female, which is how this thread came across. Gender bias, in a general sense, yet lies squarely in masculine hands - get over it. How you should have begun this thread, in my opinion, should have been less antagonistic, less short-sighted, and embracing the complexity of the issues (as opposed to reducing them as you have done). For example, divorce and alimony court is ridiculously unfair to males; the prostate research example you brought up is very fair and real; why is that women's privacy is, at times, more important than male privacy, and so on. These are real pro-male issues which can be presented and discussed without putting forward the ridiculous anti-female notions you have.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I work in a female dominated profession.......HELP ME!!!!! :D

Giggity, Giggity, Giggity, Alright!

:chick:

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
My notions are not at all anti-female and it is pointless to discuss anything with you because you don't get it and hurl insults, make false statements and accusations. I am pro-people, just that the media seems to bend to an anti-male for the past 10 years in my eyes and to many males... Although, I strongly disapprove of your name calling and insinuations (woman hater etc...) if you would like, I will send you a copy of that book, so you can have a good read. Just PM me your details. Unfortunately, your posts are pompous self congratulatory and lack any real substance, you change the argument and then ignore my deeper look into the statistics. Your whole argument is based on a sheerly financial view of power in society when I am expanding to try and get you out of this very narrow view point. Money is one aspect of life and although the inequities associated with it are there, they are not telling considering the other aspects of life that are advantageous to women.

You remind me of me when I was a bit more hot headed... What was written and what I "read" were two different things. Reread my original post and tell me what "anti-female" statements I made? Women's groups are the only individual comment I made, and that is implied to mean radical women's rights activists who think that men have all of the advantages, which is clearly not true. These groups still fill people's heads with this flawed belief. Then read your response and ask yourself if it was warranted...

Well, anyway...the situations you put on the table for us Reaper are my experiences as well... men who are really trying to work on a relationship get labeled as psycho's. Sadly, the experiences I had the woman draws the man in and then pushes him away once their ego has been satisfied. Not to say that men (myself included) didn't deserve some anger in return, just not to the extent I have observed.

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I don't see a single thing in my original post that would lead you to conclude that I hate women. To me (10 years) is a long time and I think the trend to villianize men has been going on for quite a lot longer (probably closer to 30 years). I was merely starting a dialog to show how men in our society currently are lead to believe that they have all the advantages. When pressed for a deeper look into statistics that you feel show women to be the lesser power, I then show you how men (all men) use that supposed power to punish each other, negating the supposed benefit, thus rendering the supposed positive a negative.

What I am trying to say is that there are advantages and disadvantages for both genders and it isn't right to constantly have pushed in our faces that men have ALL of the advantages. My original point is that men do not have ALL of the advantages...there are MANY advantages to being a woman yet those are largely ignored. Women have multiple journals, classes and associations trumpeting their hardships and experiences, yet men have almost none of these things available to them. This is the issue I wish to prevent. I am for 100% equal treatment of all people under the law.

In rereading the posts, I am stricken by the conclusions you jump to almost in every post that really have no basis in reality like " however, to say women are advantaged daily is ridiculous." Who said that? What I was saying is that women have MANY advantages that account for a lot. Yet as a society we ONLY seem to focus on the disadvantages to being a woman and those are heavily underscored by the radical groups that push their agenda and 100% biased views on the media.

I am done with this thread and I refuse to discuss anything further with you Mullet. If you want a copy of the book, I will send it to you. Best of luck in life.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Referring back to LG's OP, he is referring to a book by Warren Farrell (also the author of "The Liberated Man" & "Why Men Are The Way They Are"); Farrell was a ranking official for the National Organization For Women for many years (3 times elected to their Board - the only man so approved), and spent years explaining to men why the women in their lives were so hurt, so angry, so 'difficult'.

Over time, he came to realise that the conversation was relentlessly one-sided: that the men he was talking to & working with about their gender issues felt helpless, powerless, unheard, their experiences with women ignored, unheard, dismissed. This led to his writing WMATWTA, in an effort to articulate for men and for women the unarticulated feelings of men about their experiences as men - and especially in relation to women - based on his years of working w/ couples on gender issues. The book has been praised by a wide range of professional men and women.

His subsequent book, "The Myth of Male Power", Farrell moves beyond questions of interpersonal relationships & into the area of social and cultural structures; his ideas and conclusions are challenging - sometimes startling - revolving around a central question: are the 'signs and symbols' of male power truly indicative of power, or of a deeper cultural assessment of the relative value of men and women - and of the responsibilities & accountabilities relegated to each sex?

The "Phil Donahue" model suggests that we simply roll over, accepting whatever women have to say about men at face value; the Farrell model suggests that women need to listen to men, too - and more: men need to listen to each other.

MulletSoldier, I have great respect for you, and believe I understand your defense of women in this thread - and I wouldn't stand for any gratuitous bashing of women myself. May I suggest that you read one of these books? I truly believe Farrell's work is as important as any other pursuit of gender justice.

Heck, I think everyone would benefit if people read Farrell as frequently as they read Greer, Steinem or Friday (in fact, Friday provided a laudatory blurb to TMoMP: given her occasionally hateful characterisations of men, that should say something).

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
MulletSoldier, I have great respect for you, and believe I understand your defense of women in this thread - and I wouldn't stand for any gratuitous bashing of women myself. May I suggest that you read one of these books? I truly believe Farrell's work is as important as any other pursuit of gender justice.

Heck, I think everyone would benefit if people read Farrell as frequently as they read Greer, Steinem or Friday (in fact, Friday provided a laudatory blurb to TMoMP: given her occasionally hateful characterisations of men, that should say something).
Definitely, if you could provide a link that would be very gracious of you. Let me be clear: I believe, as I am sure you do, in gender justice and equity. However, I feel it can be achieved through mutually inclusive strategies - that is, we may propagate male, without, as LG is doing, demoralizing the feminine movement.

What is incredibly ironic about this thread, is the blatant misunderstanding of the word, 'Feminist'. Feminist Theory, whether purely academic, or especially methodological, means equity across cultural, socio-economic, geographic, and physical lines, not simply engendered ones.

As well, one needs to separate the unequal balance of power within specific arrangements, from indicators of general power value in the 'society at large'. Proportion and context are important traits here.

LG:

Calling hegemonic masculinity, or any opposition to that, 'BULLSHIT' more or less characterizes you as I did.

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Dude, give it up already... The point as always was there are advantages and disadvantages to being each gender, but women (and men) are only taught the female point of view. Other than tacitly admitting custody (which ironically is becoming much more equitable) issues have just done a typical internet debate tactic and I am sorry, just not buying it. Keep calling names, change the discussion, refuse to respond to arguments, misconstrue statements...Is this Pat Arnold? How about you just drop it and let me have my "ignorant" views and your far more enlightened view point can celebrate how smart you are.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I agree with Mullet. As a divorced woman I can tell you we don't automatically have the advantage. In the job market I don't get paid more or get special advantages.

I also don't get protected in the court sysytem any easier. You know I had an ex that was violent and I tried to get a restraining order. I had a multitude of police runs where he corned me and chased me...did I get the order..nope! They told me he had to hit me first. So basically I had to have what the order is supposed to prevent in order to actually get the help.

I also have no problem with a guy opening a door for me. I find it very sweet. However I will do the same..its respect not feminism.
I thought you and Dsade are married.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I'll live my life the way I want to. There are plenty of good women out there.

I hope one of them understands that it is my destiny to build an iron suit and fight crime.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
We are but he is not the father of my kids or my first marriage. This is my interactions as a single mother and my fights in the courts from my kids father.
Sweet.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
my only complaint is why women complain about us making more money than them. how else can we afford the expensive gifts they demand from us? anyone seen the price of gold lately? and diamonds-whew. i wear a suit until it don't fit, but my wife has to have a new outfit for every occasion, talk about inequalities. got to love em though, my wife has stuck with me though some very lean times. GOD bless them, a good woman can make you feel more manly than any testosterone boosting stack ever could.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
doesn't seem like much of a relationship to me if I have to continually bribe my "partner" to continue participating

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
Really? We operate in a capital system based on patriarchy. Property rights were primarily male, and not much has changed; Judeo-Christian society as a whole is patriarchal, period.

I'm sure men are subject to sexual assault to a greater degree than women....oh wait. :(

Well, women must control a greater share of the world's largest TNC/NGOs/Fortune 500.....oops. :(

Well, the top 5% of wage-earners must be primarily female....nope, not that either. :(

Hmm...the judicial system? No, try again...:(

Political representation in either Canada or the US's parliament houses.....:(

Men are subject to objectification in media en masse...fvck, I am striking out here...:(

A greater proportion of the bottom 5% of wage earners are male?...Nope, opposite again. :(
I would argue that even if Western/Judeo-Christian society is patriarchal it is also the society that spawned the woman's rights movement. I don't think that we will see a woman's right movement getting any traction in the Middle East (outside of Israel) anytime soon. Conversely I predict that post-Christian Europe will see a uptick in the oppression of women as it becomes further inundated with Muslim migrants.

As far as the sexual abuse of women, again I don't think we can look to other parts of the globe. Perhaps you take the position that all cultures are equal, and then your position makes some sense. But the idea that all cultures are equal is debatable, and I happen to believe that Western Civilization as a whole is head and shoulders above the rest of the worlds cultures.

That being said we have to look at the root causes of the sexual abuse of women in the West. Offhand I would suggest that they are: criminal rape, incest, and general lewd behavior (if I leave any out forgive me, I am posting en haste). I would suggest that rape, incest, and lewd behavior are the result of behavioral disorders, most of which are the result of the perpetrator being a victim of sexual abuse at some time in his life. So if the perpetrators of sexual abuse against women are men who were sexually abused as children, it would appear that the root cause lies in the victimization of male children.

As far as the judicial system, women fair far better in divorce cases than men.

Concerning the media objectification of women, well lets just look at one of the biggest movies in the country right now: "Sex in the City". No man could possibly portray the modern woman any worse than she is portrayed in that show/movie. I am not saying that the objectification of women is a good thing, but I am making a point that our culture is just all around at a low point.

As far as women making up a high percentage of low wage earners I would suggest that this is the case because of teenage pregnancy and out of wedlock births. The best way in the world to ensure that you will be poor is to have a child without a father who will stick around and help raise the thing. Again this is has more to do with the decay of our culture way more than it has to do with men "running sh!t".

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
doesn't seem like much of a relationship to me if I have to continually bribe my "partner" to continue participating
haha, sorry you see it that way. my wife stuck with me through some lean times when we didn't have much, now that things have improved i like to spoil her. it's a choice I make.

majorpain

majorpain

Awards
That's the truth!
Speaking from experience, I was with my ex for 14 years before she divorced me. She chewed on me like a piece of gum. When my flavor was all gone she spit me out in the gutter. I was always true to her and gave her my best. One day she just decided she was done with me and wanted a divorce. Long story short, even though she has a great job making decent money, I'm the one who gets totally screwed on child support and spousal support. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids and I have no problem paying child support but the judge totally ruled in her favor. She takes half of my income plus she keeps her income. I don't understand it. With the money I have left, it's tough to make ends meet and even harder to have any kind of social life. But what can I do, just move on right?

Last edited:
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That's the truth!
Speaking from experience, I was with my ex for 14 years before she divorced me. She chewed on me like a piece of gum. When my flavor was all gone she spit out in the gutter. I was always true to her and gave her my best. One day she just decided she was done with me and wanted a divorce. Long story short, even though she has a great job making decent money, I'm the one who gets totally screwed on child support and spousal support. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids and I have no problem paying child support but the judge totally ruled in her favor. She takes half of my income plus she keeps her income. I don't understand it. With the money I have left, it's tough to make ends meet and even harder to have any kind of social life. But what can I do, just move on right?
oouch, man that is some serious hurt. sorry if i say i hope i never experience that. if it is any condolence, i think your case is the kind of thing that caused eric to start this thread, hang in there man, it can only get better. good luck.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
That's the truth!
Speaking from experience, I was with my ex for 14 years before she divorced me. She chewed on me like a piece of gum. When my flavor was all gone she spit out in the gutter. I was always true to her and gave her my best. One day she just decided she was done with me and wanted a divorce. Long story short, even though she has a great job making decent money, I'm the one who gets totally screwed on child support and spousal support. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids and I have no problem paying child support but the judge totally ruled in her favor. She takes half of my income plus she keeps her income. I don't understand it. With the money I have left, it's tough to make ends meet and even harder to have any kind of social life. But what can I do, just move on right?
ouch man that sucks, but i bet your not the only guy who's been done over like that. I bet most women seem to think its justifiable that she gets half your income etc....could you imagine the outrage from women if it was the other way around and you got the kids and half her income.......it would probably be a first as well.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
haha, sorry you see it that way. my wife stuck with me through some lean times when we didn't have much, now that things have improved i like to spoil her. it's a choice I make.
Good for you, bro - and good for her, sticking with you!
I'm not questioning your choices at all.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Good for you, bro - and good for her, sticking with you!
I'm not questioning your choices at all.
thank you, my friend. after hearing these horror stories i feel truly blessed.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
divorce and alimony court is ridiculously unfair to males; the prostate research example you brought up is very fair and real; why is that women's privacy is, at times, more important than male privacy, and so on.
Very good points. My father got essentially legally raped by my mother in court when they divorced. I only found out some of the details later when I got older - and it literally scared the sh1t out of me to ever get married. Doesn't help that a few co-workers of mine go the shaft in their divorce too. All of them said "she wasn't that vindictive when I married her."

Interestingly enough, my sister moved in with my Dad, and my co-workers daughter moved in with him - yet BOTH males still had to pay child support for them to their mothers.

(On a side note - my mother was sleeping with her lawyer and told my Dad she'd drag everything out in court until he bled dry because she didn't have to pay a cent).

I also hate that child support is directly connected to how much you earn - not how much is "needed" for a kid. This price only goes up if you get a raise, but does not lower if you take a lower paying job.

However, I will say this - this is the court's problem, not necessarily females. My ex gf is a great example of that. She showed me that not all ex gf's go psycho after. :)

Women's privacy being more important than a guy's bugs me too. The women had their own individual shower stalls in rez while guys were more open. They're entirely open at the gym I go to, while girls get a divider. Why do ppl think I'm ok with showing off my package? And to top it off - why aren't they protecting ME from these old gay perverts who take hour long showers? Sadly - I somewhat know what girls feel like when oggled like that - it's not fun. (Also went to a gay bar once - wow - some guys are friggen aggresive.)

Ironically my workplace is most likely very different than other places. It's an IT company. I'd say about 95% of the actual "workers" are male. Yet I'd say that 60% of the bosses and leads are female. Why? Well - it's wrong to say so, but it's because most of those girls cannot do the job, but the company is afraid to fire them, so they get promoted into supervisor roles. It's extremely degrading when your supervisors control your job, yet cannot do your job.

As for breakups - yes, much harder on the males. Why? Well - the blame is on the males! Women have superior emotional and social support to lean on. Their female friends are there for them. And because they're like wolves smelling fresh pussy, a lot of guys side with the girls too after a breakup.

Guys need to look in the mirror when it comes to this and learn from females. I *think* that was somewhat the idea of this forum - to allow males to feel safe to talk about issues that they would get ridiculed outside of the forum for.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
approaching 50, you begin to realize your mortality. so much attention/research/money has been dedicated to making breast cancer non-lethal. survival rate of women with breast cancer has improved dramatically in the last decade. whereas it would appear much less resources have been dedicated to prostate cancer. i would be willing to bet that there has been a dramatic increase in men with prostate cancer in last decade, with a high mortality rate. when was the last time you saw a march to wipe out prostate cancer? rarely does it even get mentioned. it would appear that equality is in the eye of the beholder.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would argue that even if Western/Judeo-Christian society is patriarchal it is also the society that spawned the woman's rights movement. I don't think that we will see a woman's right movement getting any traction in the Middle East (outside of Israel) anytime soon. Conversely I predict that post-Christian Europe will see a uptick in the oppression of women as it becomes further inundated with Muslim migrants.
First off, great points. Well thought and presented.

However, you would be surprised at the women's equity movements currently being carried out in a 'grass roots' fashion in the Middle East. Particularly in respects to art and culture.

Also, Western 'Society' spawned the suffrage and gender equality movements more as a general consequence of our attitudes towards individual freedoms and liberties, rather than as some engendered response. Such a movement occurred here because it was both possible and socially relevant.

As far as the sexual abuse of women, again I don't think we can look to other parts of the globe. Perhaps you take the position that all cultures are equal, and then your position makes some sense. But the idea that all cultures are equal is debatable, and I happen to believe that Western Civilization as a whole is head and shoulders above the rest of the worlds cultures.
I wouldn't necessarily say culturally we are head and shoulders above the rest, as that implies cultures are quantitatively measured somehow. Technologically, legally, all of that good stuff, most definitely. In terms of qualitative culture (art, music, community) we have very much lost our way. Western Culture is actually somewhat of an oxymoron.

Anyway, with that being said, those statistics were not meant to be comparative, but rather generally indicative of the status of the woman in general, not merely the North American woman. As I said earlier, I do not believe you can, or should, separate rights based solely on Geography. As I saw it, this thread was about Women's Rights, not North American Women's Rights.

That being said we have to look at the root causes of the sexual abuse of women in the West. Offhand I would suggest that they are: criminal rape, incest, and general lewd behavior (if I leave any out forgive me, I am posting en haste). I would suggest that rape, incest, and lewd behavior are the result of behavioral disorders, most of which are the result of the perpetrator being a victim of sexual abuse at some time in his life. So if the perpetrators of sexual abuse against women are men who were sexually abused as children, it would appear that the root cause lies in the victimization of male children.
I would disagree. Much of the hyper-sexualized attitudes surrounding females are 'encultured' and taught as part of being male, rather than individual personality disorders. In certain respects, via media, education, peers, and so on, young men become entangled with the notion that conceptualizing females in this kind of degradative fashion is 'okay'. I feel that, as a culture-wide aspect, and not merely compounded individual behavior, is a far greater root cause.

A great case-in-point would be the extremely high non-response percentage in man-to-woman domestic abuse cases in the Southern United States (this was a famous case study). These actions were not the result of male-to-male sexual misconduct, but as consequences of a culture of misogyny, hegemonic masculinity, and abuse. When such behavior becomes prevalent, individual psychoses cannot be turned to as a viable explanation - the answer must be cultural, and not individual.

While that experience was relegated to a few States, the non-response statistics from former victims speak to the ubiquitousness of that particular phenomenon across the country. Obviously, the situation is much worse from a global perspective, which I feel we must take into account. Remember: women are women across the globe, not merely in North America.

No disagreement there!

Concerning the media objectification of women, well lets just look at one of the biggest movies in the country right now: "Sex in the City". No man could possibly portray the modern woman any worse than she is portrayed in that show/movie. I am not saying that the objectification of women is a good thing, but I am making a point that our culture is just all around at a low point.
I thought our culture was head-and-shoulders above the rest? :p (just kidding).

I agree that such movies are a response to very unfortunate demand, as well as capitalizing on a very lucrative opportunity. While the individual actors themselves should very well take responsibility for putting out such garbage, female corporate control of media at the highest levels is still negligible. If you want to take umbrage with the general direction of contemporary media decisions, women are not the appropriate avenue of complaint!

As far as women making up a high percentage of low wage earners I would suggest that this is the case because of teenage pregnancy and out of wedlock births. The best way in the world to ensure that you will be poor is to have a child without a father who will stick around and help raise the thing. Again this is has more to do with the decay of our culture way more than it has to do with men "running sh!t".
Well, it has much more to do (I am assuming you mean in a global perspective, as I did) with women being relegated to secondary economies in developing nations; assuming illegitimate (prostitution, human trade, drug trafficking) economic roles as a response to widespread patriarchy, tradition, and misogynistic attitudes towards women's role in the workplace.

It is also due in large part to the lack of education, and women's traditional role in tribal-styled communities in the developing world. As global capital continues to expand, the traditional role of women in these countries (vanguards of the environment and home, community care, child-rearing) become low-value assets in a capitalistic economies. With little training and education - or opportunities to obtain it due to the reasons mentioned above - women are relegated to poverty.

I feel this is indicative of the general position of women from a global perspective - one of devalued contributions, and the assumptions that only masculine (i.e., profitable) contributions are high-value. A similar attitude, to a lesser degree, is still prevalent in the West. If it was not, the women who still perform almost double the housework of their mates, even in comparable payed work situations, would be payed for their domestic labor!

Mo250

Awards
regarding research on prostate cancer and other issues dealing with male health, why isn't there a push for more funding for such conditions from the male side?

Mo250

Awards
"I would disagree. Much of the hyper-sexualized attitudes surrounding females are 'encultured' and taught as part of being male, rather than individual personality disorders. In certain respects, via media, education, peers, and so on, young men become entangled with the notion that conceptualizing females in this kind of degradative fashion is 'okay'. I feel that, as a culture-wide aspect, and not merely compounded individual behavior, is a far greater root cause"

I disagree. This is more of an individual behaviour and to blame it on culture and say its culture's fault is a stretch. Sure the culture can at times teach you that- just like it can teach you to view other races from a negative stance- but whether you choose to endorse and conceptualize that way is in the end entirely up to you. You can hyper-sexualize females or you can look at them in a different manner.

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
Ladies, ladies, ladies! Please...can't we just agree that we're all equal but some are more equal than others?

Women have more power because we allow them to, if push came to shove you could take measures to ensure that an ex or some pushy women wouldn't screw you around e.g. stop communication, take yourself out of the picture, focus on something you can get to work.

If we're talking about what women and men deserve in terms of power over money, responsibility or wages then I'd say that in my experience in a working class environment that men work harder to meet or exceed a goal whereas women seem more content if they can just get the job done by their deadline whilst chit-chatting to people.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
"I would disagree. Much of the hyper-sexualized attitudes surrounding females are 'encultured' and taught as part of being male, rather than individual personality disorders. In certain respects, via media, education, peers, and so on, young men become entangled with the notion that conceptualizing females in this kind of degradative fashion is 'okay'. I feel that, as a culture-wide aspect, and not merely compounded individual behavior, is a far greater root cause"

I disagree. This is more of an individual behaviour and to blame it on culture and say its culture's fault is a stretch. Sure the culture can at times teach you that- just like it can teach you to view other races from a negative stance- but whether you choose to endorse and conceptualize that way is in the end entirely up to you. You can hyper-sexualize females or you can look at them in a different manner.
Well, the issue with individualizing this type of behavior is it misinterprets the learned and inherited nature of sexuality. Our predisposition towards sexual behavior is a biological trait, and the attitudes and actions which are predicated upon those predispositions are learned behaviors - that is, an evolutionary-hormonal milieu decides for us at birth who we will love, and our intimate connections (primarily) and 'society at large' (secondarily) help teach us how we will love them.

For example, did you teach yourself how to speak? Or moreover, what your voice would sound like, or how well you would interpret language as a child? Language in itself is very much the same type of behavior as sexuality - partly biological, partly social. While the transmission of sexuality from generation-to-generation is not as direct as say language, it carries all the ubiquitousness and importance.

This isn't to say that 'blips' in the sexual status-quo don't occur, as we all know they do; simply trying to point out that much of what we assume are individual decisions are actually complex interplays between psychological, social, and evolutionary-biological forces!

Mo250

Awards
Well, the issue with individualizing this type of behavior is it misinterprets the learned and inherited nature of sexuality. Our predisposition towards sexual behavior is a biological trait, and the attitudes and actions which are predicated upon those predispositions are learned behaviors - that is, an evolutionary-hormonal milieu decides for us at birth who we will love, and our intimate connections (primarily) and 'society at large' (secondarily) help teach us how we will love them.

For example, did you teach yourself how to speak? Or moreover, what your voice would sound like, or how well you would interpret language as a child? Language in itself is very much the same type of behavior as sexuality - partly biological, partly social. While the transmission of sexuality from generation-to-generation is not as direct as say language, it carries all the ubiquitousness and importance.

This isn't to say that 'blips' in the sexual status-quo don't occur, as we all know they do; simply trying to point out that much of what we assume are individual decisions are actually complex interplays between psychological, social, and evolutionary-biological forces!
we can always challenge predispostions and status quos. Biological traits and evolutionary forces are not set in stone. I do believe in the power of individual decisions. Thats not to say that these forces can't help shape the way we perceive and understand things, but these forces don't control us or control our minds. Ultimately it is up to the individual.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
we can always challenge predispostions and status quos. Biological traits and evolutionary forces are not set in stone. I do believe in the power of individual decisions. Thats not to say that these forces can't help shape the way we perceive and understand things, but these forces don't control us or control our minds. Ultimately it is up to the individual.
Ah, the Myth of the Individual! I know that well!

I suppose you and I will simply disagree on this issue based on our philosophical differences. ;)

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
regarding research on prostate cancer and other issues dealing with male health, why isn't there a push for more funding for such conditions from the male side?
because all the fame and glory, not to mention MONEY is all found on the side of female problems. look at all the stars they have doing osteo commercials on tv. i think every week the local news channels are endorsing one charity or another regarding female concerns. every hospital i know of has a ward dedicated to breast cancer. if men were to push for equality, it would be seen as a threat and considered sexist.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

this reminds me me of what i consider one of the biggest political blunders in modern history. bill clinton nominating madeline albright as secretary of state, and sending her to negotiate peace in the middle east. that had to be a huge slap in to face to muslim leaders, and as a result moderate leaders, who might have been open to peace overtures instead became more anti-american than ever before. i guess clinton forgot the old maxim 'when in rome, do as the romans'. i am sure there were a number of state department middle eastern specialists who advised against this, but i am sure ole bill put his political aspirations above the good of the country.

Mo250

Awards
Ah, the Myth of the Individual! I know that well!

I suppose you and I will simply disagree on this issue based on our philosophical differences. ;)
it is a myth to a certain extent and so is will power but no problem.:clap2:

Mo250

Awards
because all the fame and glory, not to mention MONEY is all found on the side of female problems. look at all the stars they have doing osteo commercials on tv. i think every week the local news channels are endorsing one charity or another regarding female concerns. every hospital i know of has a ward dedicated to breast cancer. if men were to push for equality, it would be seen as a threat and considered sexist.
this has and needs to change. what are the men doing or planning to do about? why are the men not speaking about it more openly for example?

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
First off, great points. Well thought and presented.

However, you would be surprised at the women's equity movements currently being carried out in a 'grass roots' fashion in the Middle East. Particularly in respects to art and culture.

Also, Western 'Society' spawned the suffrage and gender equality movements more as a general consequence of our attitudes towards individual freedoms and liberties, rather than as some engendered response. Such a movement occurred here because it was both possible and socially relevant.

I wouldn't necessarily say culturally we are head and shoulders above the rest, as that implies cultures are quantitatively measured somehow. Technologically, legally, all of that good stuff, most definitely. In terms of qualitative culture (art, music, community) we have very much lost our way. Western Culture is actually somewhat of an oxymoron.

Anyway, with that being said, those statistics were not meant to be comparative, but rather generally indicative of the status of the woman in general, not merely the North American woman. As I said earlier, I do not believe you can, or should, separate rights based solely on Geography. As I saw it, this thread was about Women's Rights, not North American Women's Rights.

I would disagree. Much of the hyper-sexualized attitudes surrounding females are 'encultured' and taught as part of being male, rather than individual personality disorders. In certain respects, via media, education, peers, and so on, young men become entangled with the notion that conceptualizing females in this kind of degradative fashion is 'okay'. I feel that, as a culture-wide aspect, and not merely compounded individual behavior, is a far greater root cause.

A great case-in-point would be the extremely high non-response percentage in man-to-woman domestic abuse cases in the Southern United States (this was a famous case study). These actions were not the result of male-to-male sexual misconduct, but as consequences of a culture of misogyny, hegemonic masculinity, and abuse. When such behavior becomes prevalent, individual psychoses cannot be turned to as a viable explanation - the answer must be cultural, and not individual.

While that experience was relegated to a few States, the non-response statistics from former victims speak to the ubiquitousness of that particular phenomenon across the country. Obviously, the situation is much worse from a global perspective, which I feel we must take into account. Remember: women are women across the globe, not merely in North America.

No disagreement there!

I thought our culture was head-and-shoulders above the rest? :p (just kidding).

I agree that such movies are a response to very unfortunate demand, as well as capitalizing on a very lucrative opportunity. While the individual actors themselves should very well take responsibility for putting out such garbage, female corporate control of media at the highest levels is still negligible. If you want to take umbrage with the general direction of contemporary media decisions, women are not the appropriate avenue of complaint!

Well, it has much more to do (I am assuming you mean in a global perspective, as I did) with women being relegated to secondary economies in developing nations; assuming illegitimate (prostitution, human trade, drug trafficking) economic roles as a response to widespread patriarchy, tradition, and misogynistic attitudes towards women's role in the workplace.

It is also due in large part to the lack of education, and women's traditional role in tribal-styled communities in the developing world. As global capital continues to expand, the traditional role of women in these countries (vanguards of the environment and home, community care, child-rearing) become low-value assets in a capitalistic economies. With little training and education - or opportunities to obtain it due to the reasons mentioned above - women are relegated to poverty.

I feel this is indicative of the general position of women from a global perspective - one of devalued contributions, and the assumptions that only masculine (i.e., profitable) contributions are high-value. A similar attitude, to a lesser degree, is still prevalent in the West. If it was not, the women who still perform almost double the housework of their mates, even in comparable payed work situations, would be payed for their domestic labor!
Good post.

I am refraining from doing a point by post response as we obviously view the world through different lenses, and when looking at the world through your lense I agree with much of what you say. If we were to discuss the problems women face globally then we would be on the same side of this discussion.

I first look to conditions within the United States, and look no further than Western Civilization. As you pointed out culturally in terms of our art and entertainment we are in terrible shape, but I still look at Western Civilization as the best man has done up until this point in history. When I look at the problems facing my country, and Europe I see the problem as a drifting away from the things that made the West great.

Women are doing good in our culture. In America there are more women graduating from high school and college. Women are making more money, and in some cases making more money for doing the same work. The old tired argument about women making less for doing the same work is generally a numbers game that doesn't take into account the amount of overtime worked, and part time vs full time employment.

All that said I think the OP's heart is in the right place, and I do agree with his idea. Everything today seems to be accomplished by special interest groups and activist. The average guy really has no special interest group to speak of.

Sure we can look at how women are portrayed in the media, but have you noticed lately how men are portrayed? I didn't notice it for the longest time, because I am not overly sensitive and looking for something to be pissed about. Almost every advertisement on tv shows the man in an unflattering light, whether it be as a buffoon, someone in hysterics, or at the very least a guy who is not as smart as his wife.

Maybe we need something to balance out feminism, perhaps a "masculinism" movement is necessary.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Maybe we need something to balance out feminism, perhaps a "masculinism" movement is necessary.
Considering the history of hegemonic masculinity, an out-and-out masculinism would be no doubt an affront to the progress made in civil/gender/racial rights movements everywhere (let us remember that the white male is conflated with a great number of unfortunate events - some warranted, some not so much).

I agree a reclamation, if there can be such a thing, of the masculine form is necessary; a redefinition of masculinity as reciprocal, powerful, providing, but not oppressive. A 'give', without 'taking away'.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i have worked in a factory most of my life. i can remember about 30 years ago when women started leaving the home for careers. they thought it was such a good thing, if you were to poll the females that work at my place of business 100% whould vote for being able to stay home and take care of house/kids. equal rights was a scam created by big business to keep salaries down, the day of a one wage earner per family is dead. if women would not have bought into this scam men would be making a minimum of $30 an hour and women would be staying home. if women had half a brain gloria steinam would be hanged in effigy.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
That's the truth!
Speaking from experience, I was with my ex for 14 years before she divorced me. She chewed on me like a piece of gum. When my flavor was all gone she spit me out in the gutter. I was always true to her and gave her my best. One day she just decided she was done with me and wanted a divorce. Long story short, even though she has a great job making decent money, I'm the one who gets totally screwed on child support and spousal support. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids and I have no problem paying child support but the judge totally ruled in her favor. She takes half of my income plus she keeps her income. I don't understand it. With the money I have left, it's tough to make ends meet and even harder to have any kind of social life. But what can I do, just move on right?

It's hard reading stuff like this. Hang in there.

Dadof2

Dadof2

Awards
  • Established
i have worked in a factory most of my life. i can remember about 30 years ago when women started leaving the home for careers. they thought it was such a good thing, if you were to poll the females that work at my place of business 100% whould vote for being able to stay home and take care of house/kids. equal rights was a scam created by big business to keep salaries down, the day of a one wage earner per family is dead. if women would not have bought into this scam men would be making a minimum of $30 an hour and women would be staying home. if women had half a brain gloria steinam would be hanged in effigy.
Good point. As soon as two income families went online, the wages were lowered, and the prices of everything went up. Now it is rare to meet a family that has one person who can stay at home.