Men's Fashion/Clothing

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Are any of you guys into men's fashion or knowledgeable in suits and that kind of style? Things like matching blazers and pants and shoes. Lol

I have a few quick questions I need help with.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Not an expert, but something I've had to learn and will help if I can.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Not an expert, but something I've had to learn and will help if I can.
I ended up just buying a cheap JC Penney suit jacket and pants. I will probably only wear it a few times, so I wasn't going to spend a lot on everything. I have a career fair this next week and didn't want to be underdressed. it's a dark blue/navy suit. I just had surgery and am starting to lift again so I got it a little bigger so I have some room to grow.

I am wearing the brown shoes in the pics, but I'm going to change the laces I just don't know what color would be best.

The shirt in the pictures is a light pink one, but I think the tie is what doesn't look right with the shoes. I'd rather buy a new tie than shoes, I can get a plain white dress shirt as well if that's the best option. My belt is darker than the shoes but I'm not too worried about that.

IMG_1823.JPG
IMG_1822.JPG

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I stray away from the pink shirt for first time impressions sake.

White shirt with maybe a black tie with some print.
Lighter blue shirt with a black and brown tie, not a solid tie tho. Not like a baby blue tho like a nice deep blue but not navy color. (I look good in blue so it's my fall back color).

I think a nice brown and black tie would help pull the shoes and belt together.

You could try going brown pants and keep the jacket unbuttoned. Might look good if you had a blue shirt as well.

I'm a huge advocate that every man should own a black, brown, and navy suit........ But I just ripped my black one *sigh*

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
I never remember career fairs being dressed up, unless you have your own booth? But idk I'm one of those guys that is always in casual wearing slides.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I ended up just buying a cheap JC Penney suit jacket and pants. I will probably only wear it a few times, so I wasn't going to spend a lot on everything. I have a career fair this next week and didn't want to be underdressed. it's a dark blue/navy suit. I just had surgery and am starting to lift again so I got it a little bigger so I have some room to grow.

I am wearing the brown shoes in the pics, but I'm going to change the laces I just don't know what color would be best.

The shirt in the pictures is a light pink one, but I think the tie is what doesn't look right with the shoes. I'd rather buy a new tie than shoes, I can get a plain white dress shirt as well if that's the best option. My belt is darker than the shoes but I'm not too worried about that.
Nothing wrong with a JC Penney suit, especially when starting out. Definitely change the laces and any dark brown laces will do. It doesn't matter if the belt is a darker brown than the shoes as long as it is still brown.

I think what you have is fine, but agree with Clen that the pink might be too much for the first impression. You could do white or light blue and get a tie that has a pattern, but nothing over the top. http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/perry-ellis-mens-landon-textured-check-classic-tie?ID=2762448&CategoryID=53239&swatchColor=Navy#fn=sp=1&spc=680&ruleId=54|BS|BA&slotId=21

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nordstrom-mens-shop-solid-silk-tie/4411280?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=BLUE

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Also, what is the red thing on the chest area of the suit? Is that just a tag that hasn't been removed yet?

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I never remember career fairs being dressed up, unless you have your own booth? But idk I'm one of those guys that is always in casual wearing slides.
I didn't think so either, but the majority of people I've talked to said to wear a suit. I didnt want to look out of place. Lol

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I stray away from the pink shirt for first time impressions sake.

White shirt with maybe a black tie with some print.
Lighter blue shirt with a black and brown tie, not a solid tie tho. Not like a baby blue tho like a nice deep blue but not navy color. (I look good in blue so it's my fall back color).

I think a nice brown and black tie would help pull the shoes and belt together.

You could try going brown pants and keep the jacket unbuttoned. Might look good if you had a blue shirt as well.

I'm a huge advocate that every man should own a black, brown, and navy suit........ But I just ripped my black one *sigh*
Nothing wrong with a JC Penney suit, especially when starting out. Definitely change the laces and any dark brown laces will do. It doesn't matter if the belt is a darker brown than the shoes as long as it is still brown.

I think what you have is fine, but agree with Clen that the pink might be too much for the first impression. You could do white or light blue and get a tie that has a pattern, but nothing over the top. http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/perry-ellis-mens-landon-textured-check-classic-tie?ID=2762448&CategoryID=53239&swatchColor=Navy#fn=sp=1&spc=680&ruleId=54|BS|BA&slotId=21

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nordstrom-mens-shop-solid-silk-tie/4411280?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=BLUE

Thanks guys! Yeah, I'll probably get a white shirt with a tie similar to one of those. I did have a light blue dress shirt but I spilled wine on it last year. Lol

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
White shirt with a deep red tie.

Light blue shirt with a patterned dark navy tie.

IMO I wouldn't wear brown pants. But a lighter gray pair would look good with a navy jacket

Brown shoes will look fine with anything except a black suit, especially navy. Tan will too.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I didn't think so either, but the majority of people I've talked to said to wear a suit. I didnt want to look out of place. Lol
It's always better to be overdressed than underdressed. A suit always works. Just don't show up in a tux with cane and top hat.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks guys! Yeah, I'll probably get a white shirt with a tie similar to one of those. I did have a light blue dress shirt but I spilled wine on it last year. Lol
I have like 6 different light blue dress shirts lol

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It's always better to be overdressed than underdressed. A suit always works. Just don't show up in a tux with cane and top hat.
I have like 6 different light blue dress shirts lol
I've always rented tuxes and stuff when I need them. I'm getting to the age where people are getting married more often and I'll be having a lot more interviews/meetings and presentations so I figured I should go ahead and start to get a more professional clothes.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
White shirt with a deep red tie.

Light blue shirt with a patterned dark navy tie.

IMO I wouldn't wear brown pants. But a lighter gray pair would look good with a navy jacket

Brown shoes will look fine with anything except a black suit, especially navy. Tan will too.
I went with Navy so it was more versatile. I wear khakis quite often and I also have some grey pants I wore to a wedding I can try on. I'll be able to use the jacket way more since it's navy than I would if it's black.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I went with Navy so it was more versatile. I wear khakis quite often and I also have some grey pants I wore to a wedding I can try on. I'll be able to use the jacket way more since it's navy than I would if it's black.
Yep. Navy jacket will go with almost everything except black. Shoes you can go almost every way too. And a lot of tie options. Good choice

Alpha1a

Alpha1a

Awards
  • Established
I'm a banker so wear a suit daily lol my navy blue suit usually goes real good with a grey shirt light or dark and then a tie that ties it together lol ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1474130663.147154.jpg always get compliments on these lol the brown one I use with an almond colored shirt I have

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
These are my favorite ties

For gray suit:
IMG_1474130942.708845.jpg

For navy suit:
IMG_1474130962.358979.jpg

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Anyone else think some brown pants would look good? I think it would help flow into the shoes and it's a little bit more casual if he were to take the jacket off at any point

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anyone else think some brown pants would look good? I think it would help flow into the shoes and it's a little bit more casual if he were to take the jacket off at any point
Depends by if you mean pawpaw brown/olive or khaki. Khaki would look good. Pawpaw brown would not IMO lol

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Depends by if you mean pawpaw brown/olive or khaki. Khaki would look good. Pawpaw brown would not IMO lol
More formal then kackies but not super brown lol

Tho kackies would look good too

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
More formal then kackies but not super brown lol

Tho kackies would look good too
A solid tan/formal khaki > brown IMO. Brown is too conservative for my liking. I generally only wear navy and grays though

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Agreed, but I wouldn't do any of those for an interview. It'd be great for around the office or with a client that you have a good relationship with, but I tend to stick to the safe all black, blue, or dark grey/charcoal suits for interview and first impressions.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
IDK brown shoes are not doing it for me with that suit. I think a nice shiny black pair would work. I think those type of shoe fit with the style suit you are wearing, if the suit was more modern fit I think those shoes might work. This is just my opinion.

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Change your laces to dark brown first, and not flat laces.

Shirt should be white or light blue. Tie should be navy or deep red/burgundy. Suit should be navy or charcoal. Black is for weddings, funerals, never business (unless you're in Asia).

It's safe, but you want safe when you interview. The last thing you want is someone paying attention to your clothes instead of your resume/answers to questions.