Melatonin made me depressed

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A few weeks ago I added in some melatonin to help with sleep- primarily staying asleep. It worked ok, but what I started to notice was that I was just feeling really down throughout the days. Not tired, just no motivation and getting sad about the littlest things. I couldn't put my finger on it and assumed it might be after effects from being sick, but in troubleshooting 101 fashion I went back and started looking at things I may have added or removed recently and that was the only item. So I stopped taking it 3 days ago and like a cover being pulled off my head, I have been waking up with so much more energy and the sadness has lifted.

Just sharing and interested if anyone else has found this. Doing some research I see that it is somewhat common.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You'll have to help us, help you better.

How much melatonin?
What else are you taking with regard to supplementation? (I am thinking interaction or crossover effect, and may not be just the melatonin)
You can stop taking another product and keep the melatonin. This is pure conjecture on my part for a lack of details.

I'm glad you removed it and felt better.
Different amounts will affect differently. What is your weight?

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yep, noticed the same and stopped taking it a few months ago. Also noticed that taking it sublingual was much worse than taking an equivalent dose orally (worked better for sleep but mood a lot worse).

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You'll have to help us, help you better.

How much melatonin?
What else are you taking with regard to supplementation? (I am thinking interaction or crossover effect, and may not be just the melatonin)
You can stop taking another product and keep the melatonin. This is pure conjecture on my part for a lack of details.

I'm glad you removed it and felt better.
Different amounts will affect differently. What is your weight?
Appreciate it, but it was no question the melatonin as it was a night and day difference from the time I added it to the time I stopped. It was 3mg time release and my supplement stack is very consistent, so it would be nothing else- especially after reading how common depressed mood and lack of motivation is with melatonin supplementation. Normally that would steer me away, but I decided to check it out.

To answer your question, I run 210-215 from morning to night.

carguy123

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Not doubting what you have experienced but am slightly confused how this could be the cause of the effects you noticed. Melatonin is naturally occurring in the body so supplementing with additional melation should not be a huge difference. You are simply overriding when you want this hormone released. Maybe to much at once is causing the issue?

Personally, have never noticed this myself but intrested to hear others experiences.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Could be the amount- I am not sure as this is anecdotal, but a very quick search shows it is known as a common side effect. I knew that going in, but I am not a person that has any experience or back ground with depression. As this was the only variable that changed, it's easy to see it is what caused it.

carguy123

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Could be the amount- I am not sure as this is anecdotal, but a very quick search shows it is known as a common side effect. I knew that going in, but I am not a person that has any experience or back ground with depression. As this was the only variable that changed, it's easy to see it is what caused it.
Yeah I was looking around myself and see that this a potential side effect. Atleast you figured out what exactly was the cause, thats normally 90% of the battle haha

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Melatonin helped me sleep for about three days and then after that nothing. This is why it's good to add new things one at a time.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I feel that most sleep aids have this effect on me, especially in the winter months. I notice sleep improve, but I always feel depressed and down when using melatonin or sleep aid supplements. I would much rather have a bad night's sleep and avoid feeling worthless though, so I avoid these products

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
kisaj
Will you be trying out BLR's new noot product? Sorry for the random question just curious on your thoughts as you have always been a helpful dude in the nootropic section.

I haven't ordered yet, but I will be picking up a bottle or two to test it out. The BF-7 looks promising.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am ALWAYS open to testing out new nootropics, but right now would not be ideal for a proper assessment as I just recently decided to run Oxiracetam and want to see how this fares. Once complete, I am going to look into the couple of new products out there.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I am ALWAYS open to testing out new nootropics, but right now would not be ideal for a proper assessment as I just recently decided to run Oxiracetam and want to see how this fares. Once complete, I am going to look into the couple of new products out there.
I hear ya man!

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
Not the first time I have heard this - on this forum. Glad your feeling better...