Max-Stimulation The next big Hypertropic Workout?

jonesboy

jonesboy

Awards
  • Established
The Routine
M-Time – The Max Factor

M-Time is the time between each rep, after each rep the weight should be racked or set down and gotten completely out of your hands for the duration of the M-Time. This time can be manipulated as advancing fatigue ensues, IE first few reps use 3-5 seconds, next 5 to 10 - use 7 seconds, during the last 5 use 10 seconds. The starting time is usually going to be dictated by your own recovery from repetitive contractions and the intensity you are using. As the cycle progresses the M-Time may need to be increased to combat the effects of fatigue from heavier loading. The ideal starting time will vary and some experimentation will probably be needed to find the adequate time to use. In any case the M-Time should be used from the very first rep.

Frequency

As we’ve mentioned in the previous chapter once per week isn’t going to cut it when you are trying to build as much muscle tissue in the shortest amount of time possible. With that said the workout is set up in an alternating workout fashion, A&B routines, they are both full body workouts but may be split to upper/lower, push/pull or whatever you deem necessary to fit into your training schedule.

Each Body part should be hit at least 2 times per week with at least 1 set of the primary movement and if needed 1 set of the secondary.

A typical implementation would be-

Monday and Thursday A routine,

Tuesday and Friday B routine, this can be arranged in any fashion depending on your training level or schedule.

Other examples;

3X week

Week 1

Monday-A

Wends-B

Fri-A

Week 2

Monday-B

Wends-A

Fri-B

2X week

Monday-A

Thursday-B

Rep Cadence and Tempo

Each Compound movement IE the first movement for each exercise should have a cadence of as fast as possible concentric, a controlled eccentric. After each complete rep is performed the weight should be racked for the M-Time being used. (see M-Time above)

Each isolation or subsequent movement (if chosen to do so) should be performed with as fast as possible concentric and a controlled eccentric. Again after each rep the weight should be racked for the M-time being used.

Rest Between Sets

If choosing to do multiple sets, I only recommend one, the rest between sets should allow for enough strength recovery to successfully complete at least 80% of the same number of reps as the previous set.

Working in a circuit fashion may be advantageous as this may allow enough time between sets but if working in a gym where equipment availability is an issue then simply use a rest period as described in the previous paragraph.

Bicep and Tricep Work

Although direct bicep and tricep work may not be necessary since many of the pulling and pushing movements already activate these muscles many trainees simply can not have a successful workout without the addition of direct upper arm work. With this in mind you may add in any of your favorite bi and or tri work but I do not recommend doing this more than 1 or 2X week and I recommend the volume be kept low for each workout these are used. If you do I also recommend you use the same set up, a compound followed by an isolation exercise that concentrates on stretch, racking the weight between reps.

Bicep Recommendation-following your last set of Back exercises add 1 or 2 sets of incline DB curl, concentration curl, BB curl or whatever isolation exercise you choose to use.

Tricep Recommendation-following your last pressing/pushing movement for chest or shoulders add 1 or 2 sets of Tricep Extensions, pushdowns or whatever isolation exercise you choose to use.

Muscle Specific

This setup may also be used in conjunction with any individual muscle group in order to specifically induce growth to lagging muscle groups or address symmetry issues.

Progression and starting intensity.

The progression is set up in an undulating linear fashion. There are 3 phases to this program.

Phase 1- Using your 10 RM load 4 workouts per week

Phase 2- Using your 8 RM load 4 workouts per week

Phase 3- Using your 6 RM load 4 workouts per week

Each phase starts out at 75% of the RM for that phase and increases over the duration to a maximum of 110% of the RM.

Example.

10RM load = 100 lbs

Week 1

Workout 1, A routine- 20 Reps –75 lbs.

M-Time- 1 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.

Workout 2, B routine- 20 reps –75 lbs.

M-Time- 1 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.

Workout 3, A routine-20 reps – 80 Lbs

M-Time- 2 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.

Workout 4, B routine- 20 reps –80 lbs.

M-Time- 2 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.

Week 2

Workout 5, A routine-20 reps – 85 Lbs

M-Time- 3 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.

Workout 6, B routine- 20 reps –85 lbs.

M-Time- 3 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.

Workout 7, A routine-20 reps – 90 Lbs

M-Time- 4 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.

Workout 8, B routine- 20 reps –90 lbs.

M-Time- 4 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.

Week 3

Workout 9, A routine-20 reps – 95 Lbs

Workout 10, B routine- 20 reps –95 lbs.

Workout 11, A routine-20 reps – 100 Lbs

Workout 12, B routine- 20 reps –100 lbs.

Week 4

Workout 13, A routine-20 reps – 105 Lbs

M-Time- 5 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.

Workout 14, B routine- 20 reps –105 lbs.

M-Time- 5 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.

Workout 15, A routine-20 reps – 110 Lbs

M-Time- 6 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.

Workout 16, B routine- 20 reps –110 lbs.

M-Time- 6 sec. Or whatever is needed to complete 20 reps without achieving any significant burn.

For planning your routine please download the Excel Spreadsheet here

Increasing the reps-The system is based on 20 reps throughout the cycle. This can be changed if desired. However I do recommend trying to stick to at least 15- 20 reps as it allows sufficient TUT and it is much easier than trying to identify varying reps when fatigue is manipulated in this way.

Decreasing the duration- to decrease the duration from 12 weeks to fewer simply remove the duplicate intensity workouts IE each or every other workout would increase in intensity.

Work Out A

Follow the Exercise order, thigh and calf work may be put last if you prefer

Thighs-

Squat or Leg Press

Super set with Leg Ext or Sissy Squat (if desired)

Leg Curl

Super Set with SLDL or Good Morning (if desired)

Calves-

Standing Calve Raise

Superset with Donkey Calve Raise on Blocks (if desired)

Back-

Wide Grip Pronated Pull Up/Down

Bent BB Row to Bottom of Rib Cage or similar

Chest-

Flat Bench BB/Dips or DB Bench Press

Superset with Fly (if desired)

Shoulder-

Military Press or Shoulder DB Press

Superset with DB Incline Lateral Raise (if desired)

Traps, Rear Deltoid-

BB Laying Chin Row or Seated High Row

Superset with Prone or Bent Shoulder Lateral (if desired)

Workout B

Thigh-

Squat or Leg Press

Super set with Leg Ext or Sissy Squat (if desired)

Leg Curl

Super Set with SLDL or Good Morning (if desired)

Calves-

Standing Calve Raise

Superset with Donkey Calve Raise on Blocks (if desired)

Back-

Narrow Grip Supinated Pull Up/Down

Bent BB Row narrow grip to beltline

Chest-

20 Degree BB or DB Bench Press

Superset with Incline Fly (if desired)

Shoulder-

Primary-Upright Row

Secondary-Superset with Upright Lateral Raise (if desired)

Traps, Rear Deltoid-

DB or BB Shrugs Seated or Standing

Superset with Laying or Bent Shoulder Lateral (if desired)

If knees, shoulders or back is of concern then substitution of exercises can be done as long as plane of movement and degree of stretch is relatively equal for the substitutions. Whether done on free weight or machine should not make a difference. Machines will make this program inherently easier as the racking movement is already accommodated for in most machines. When substituting exercises always keep safety as your top priority.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Interesting...
I have seen this before.
I use these principals (loosely I might add) when I train shoulders and Bicepts.

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
I've never heard of this before, so I'm trying to get it straight...the M-Time is the time in between reps right?

So its 20 reps total for a particular movement, one set only. After EACH rep, you wrack/put down the weight for 2 seconds (or whatever they recommend) and then pick it up and do it again for one rep. Repeat until 20 total reps?

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established
Sounds like a modified full body DC routine or a hybrid HST/DC routine. Interesting.

Dan Moore

Awards
I've never heard of this before, so I'm trying to get it straight...the M-Time is the time in between reps right?

So its 20 reps total for a particular movement, one set only. After EACH rep, you wrack/put down the weight for 2 seconds (or whatever they recommend) and then pick it up and do it again for one rep. Repeat until 20 total reps?
Yes that is the basics of it.

The goals are several fold but overall it's a means of increasing work while managing acute fatigue.

The trick is allowing M-Time to do it's purpose and not worry about if it's 2 secs or 30 secs, use whatever is needed to complete another repetition.

A quick test is take your known 8-10RM in a dumbell curl, load it on a DB and with your strongest arm do however many reps to failure you can, (should be around 8-10 reps or it's not your 8-10 RM) then with the other arm do a rep, set the DB down for a few seconds (taken completely out of your hands), do another, set it down, repeat adding a few seconds when needed to complete another rep. If you get to 30 secs in between reps and reach failure, how many reps where you able to perform?

The beuty is instead of increasing reps you should be able to substantially increase the load while maintaining the same number of reps throughout the entire cycle.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I found that (in pratice) I can do bicept curls best this way using cables. BEcause I can reove all tension, while still holding the grip, letting the line go slack.
You'll find you can do more reps with the same weight, or increase the weight and get the same number.
Of course, I also find unilateral movements to be great for breaking sticking points, becasue you can produce more force using one side then you can using both at the same time.
This also works great for machines, for me, lateral pulls, and seated rows (since posting my wings in another thread:p)

jonesboy

jonesboy

Awards
  • Established
i tried it the first time yesterday on squats. My legs didn't get tired but man was i sweating when it was all over. the toughest part was just racking and unracking the weight.

Dan Moore

Awards
i tried it the first time yesterday on squats. My legs didn't get tired but man was i sweating when it was all over. the toughest part was just racking and unracking the weight.
LOL, yes many have reported that more profuse sweating is an interesting effect. You, like myself, being from Texas, sweating shouldn't be an issue and we should be used by now ;-) The possible reasons are discussed briefly on my forum but honestly I haven't gotten to deep in the why sweating is increased.

The legs not being tired is sort of the point, fatigue hampers our ability to continue work and this leads to 1. Reducing the load on subsequant sets or 2. Stopping altogether because of fatigue, neither are as benefical IMHO.

Other effects seen and reported are....a deep seated worked feeling in the muscle itself, some deep tenderness that is slightly different in feeling than typical DOMS, massive strength increases.

EDIT: Read the rules. Last warning.

jonesboy

jonesboy

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Dan I have noticed that you respond just a fast on your site and seem to always be very interested in helping and sharing info.. How would you recommend doing incline dumbells using Max stim. It would seem that putting the weights all the way down on the floor and then putting them back into lifting position would be very tough. That is what hurts my shoulders... And just resting them on your chest if the weights are heavy wouldn't really be a rest at all.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Dan I have noticed that you respond just a fast on your site and seem to always be very interested in helping and sharing info.. How would you recommend doing incline dumbells using Max stim. It would seem that putting the weights all the way down on the floor and then putting them back into lifting position would be very tough. That is what hurts my shoulders... And just resting them on your chest if the weights are heavy wouldn't really be a rest at all.
I was dealing with the same problem and I came up with an idea, though I didn't implement it because it meant some minor work I wasn't in the mood to do. Namely: ropes hanging from the top of my rack. Basically if you take a rope or an adjustable strap of some kind and set it so it's anchored above either on your rack/cage or to the ceiling somehow, and then adjust them so the dumbbell hangs off the end at the bottom of your ROM for the movement, you've got a support you can rely on.

Dan Moore

Awards
Well even though I am very opinionated on what is right and wrong, when speaking of hypertrophy training, I tend not to be rude of flaming and I earnestly am trying to help rather than "feeding my own ego".

DB hooks seem to work fine but I have also played with something similar to what CDB just mentioned but that's another story altogether.

Some exercises lend themselves to this method easier than others (deads) and some even though initially seem tough and impractical become second nature after a few workouts (squats).