Matthersby‘s mission: 50lbs by 2019. Slin,NPP,Dbol and lots more.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So I have this seriously unbalanced obsession with my middle and Lower traps. Don’t care at all about upper. Upper grows plenty and I feel like that’s all anyone usually targets anyway. I envision mine being obnoxious and visible at all times through my shirt. Like Boa’s wrapped around my scapula and up the back of my neck.

Here’s how it’s going this week.
Deadlifts: 4sets
Bent over row 3sets
DB rows 3sets
Lat pull 3 sets
Rope face pull 4 sets
Reverse flye machine 3 sets
Upright smith rows Heavy 3 sets
DB Lateral raises front and side
Every 3rd workout I’ll do slightly bent over shrugs but I don’t feel they are all that necessary with the volume I put on traps(and overall I’m a low volume guy, just not with my traps)

Thoughts?

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So I have this seriously unbalanced obsession with my middle and Lower traps. Don’t care at all about upper. Upper grows plenty and I feel like that’s all anyone usually targets anyway. I envision mine being obnoxious and visible at all times through my shirt. Like Boa’s wrapped around my scapula and up the back of my neck.

Here’s how it’s going this week.
Deadlifts: 4sets
Bent over row 3sets
DB rows 3sets
Lat pull 3 sets
Rope face pull 4 sets
Reverse flye machine 3 sets
Upright smith rows Heavy 3 sets
DB Lateral raises front and side
Every 3rd workout I’ll do slightly bent over shrugs but I don’t feel they are all that necessary with the volume I put on traps(and overall I’m a low volume guy, just not with my traps)

Thoughts?
Love the way my traps look now after starting behind the back Smith machine shrugs. Really let's you pull and squeeze with the entire muscle it feels.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Love the way my traps look now after starting behind the back Smith machine shrugs. Really let's you pull and squeeze with the entire muscle it feels.
People don’t give Smith enough love. I almost exclusively do upright rows and shrugs on it and I probably always will.

Codybenz

Codybenz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I love shrugs on the smith. I hit front, backwards, and side one armed shrugs on the smith.
The only shrug I like more I don’t even know the name of. I’ll take 2 of the plastic plates that have handles built in them and slightly bend over before shrugging. I can get a great full trap squeeze with it.

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I dont do any shrugs. I do upright rows...but not shrugs..never have...and somehow my traps are one of best body parts.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I dont do any shrugs. I do upright rows...but not shrugs..never have...and somehow my traps are one of best body parts.
Pretty much the same, they grow plenty fast enough with all the uprights, rev flyes, and rope pulls. I only throw in a shrug session to hit them from that angle once a month or so, but I’m not sure it’s even necessary.

Gear report:

New source sent lightning fast exactly as ordered. Stealthy enough for domestic for sure. Nothing clinking around or pills rattling.

Test seemed smooth enough, no pip today really even for 250mg/ml.

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Want some awesome traps? I'll send you this dudes protocol!
maxresdefault.jpeg

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Upper traps get plenty big from gear. Lower traps are built from heavy back work (NOT deadlifting, think rowing and strongman events) and/or high volume light targeted work.

Paul Carter has a great article you can probably google on how to build lower traps. A standout movement as I recall was like 20-30 rep plate raises all the way to overhead. Some very masochistic burner ****.

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Upper traps get plenty big from gear. Lower traps are built from heavy back work (NOT deadlifting, think rowing and strongman events) and/or high volume light targeted work.

Paul Carter has a great article you can probably google on how to build lower traps. A standout movement as I recall was like 20-30 rep plate raises all the way to overhead. Some very masochistic burner ****.
I do those when military presses. In between sets, I just pull a plate and do plate raises to failure..slap the plate back on and do the presses to failure. I usually do this routine until i cant touch my face.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ahhhhhhhh, my favorite thread back again with the good food talk.

I threw up last night after trying to eat almost 2lbs of jambalaya and then just a few hours later, a lb of potato wedges and 6 big chicken fingers. My stomach couldn’t take it... ate a thc gummy to try to keep it down. Didn’t work.

This morning 8 whole eggs, 4 bacon, shredded cheese. 1/2 box Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
Eat the gummy first

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

BEST mid back (lower trap) lift is the Pendlay Row. Goddamn does that give a crazy tight pump back there.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
BEST mid back (lower trap) lift is the Pendlay Row. Goddamn does that give a crazy tight pump back there.
I pushed pendlay & bb rowing seriously this past training cycle before I tore my bicep and my lower traps were easily as big as they’ve ever been. I would say there’s definitely some merit to that.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I pushed pendlay & bb rowing seriously this past training cycle before I tore my bicep and my lower traps were easily as big as they’ve ever been. I would say there’s definitely some merit to that.
I’m giving them a whirl Wednesday.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Got my touchdown today from that new source we’re both using. It’s so cold out I can see tiny bubbles of BA floating round mid suspension, but it didn’t crash. So that’s good.

Back to pendlay rows... yeah brother, they’re a powerhouse of a movement in my opinion. High effort and high results.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’m giving them a whirl Wednesday.
Provided you can stay braced and pull from the elbows, you need to train them with some real intensity and a bit of English.

Wear a belt, hold your breath when the bar is off the ground, use your entire body. Save the isolation mentality for machine/cable work. I do recommend straps so you aren’t yanking your biceps and can pull double overhand, but it’s personal preference.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Provided you can stay braced and pull from the elbows, you need to train them with some real intensity and a bit of English.

Wear a belt, hold your breath when the bar is off the ground, use your entire body. Save the isolation mentality for machine/cable work. I do recommend straps so you aren’t yanking your biceps and can pull double overhand, but it’s personal preference.
Yes. All of this.

It’s high effort, which is my code for a heavy compound lift that you’re going to try and load as much weight as you can for reps and use as many muscle groups as possible to get it up.

The form I use is torso parallel to ground, raise to 30 degrees or less and perform the row in one motion and then reset. High effort. I haven’t seen many guys who can stay braced any harder than that.

Usually they’re used to build more explosive power on deadlifts. I just use them to try and build a huge back.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Even Arnold did pendlay rows, but he refers to them as “barbell rows starting from the floor” which is exactly what a pendlay Row is.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
i always thought the biggest tweek to the move, besides starting from the floor, was to keep the elbows out to the side via john meadows??

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
i always thought the biggest tweek to the move, besides starting from the floor, was to keep the elbows out to the side via john meadows??
Yes. Bent rows you tuck, pendlay rows you spread em.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
No. It’s a power movement from the famous weightlifter Glen Pendlay. The important distinction between a barbell Row and Pendlay is that the bar is resting on the floor between reps, and torso angle. Pendlay rows also don’t maintain tension on the eccentric.

Elbows should always be tucked in for very heavy rowing IMO. The lats need to remain engaged to stabilize and protect the t-spine during heavy lifting. The elbows can be flared during cable or chest-supported work, but for something so like a deadlift I just don’t think it’s worth it. But I’ve recovered from several blown discs so I am biased.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
No. It’s a power movement from the famous weightlifter Glen Pendlay. The important distinction between a barbell Row and Pendlay is that the bar is resting on the floor between reps, and torso angle. Pendlay rows also don’t maintain tension on the eccentric.

Elbows should always be tucked in for very heavy rowing IMO. The lats need to remain engaged to stabilize and protect the t-spine during heavy lifting. The elbows can be flared during cable or chest-supported work, but for something so like a deadlift I just don’t think it’s worth it. But I’ve recovered from several blown discs so I am biased.
I’ve never been injured during training beyond the usual light pulls or stresses that make it hard to move for a few days. And some more recent rotator cuff irritation.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Flared to me and flared to you might be a bit different.

I don’t mean wide out 90 degrees. I mean 45-50 degrees on pendlay vs maybe 20 or less, tucked tight, for barbell rows.

Pendlays you’re pulling to the chest, bent rows you pull to the navel.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

welcome to the blown disk club mah brotha~
who else is in?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Flared to me and flared to you might be a bit different.

I don’t mean wide out 90 degrees. I mean 45-50 degrees on pendlay vs maybe 20 or less, tucked tight, for barbell rows.

Pendlays you’re pulling to the chest, bent rows you pull to the navel.
I understand you probably aren’t lifting like some kind of ******* noob, but I stand by my opinions on lat stabilization on heavy lifting. To each their own.

who else is in?
Multiple discs, erectors, both QL, minor biceps tears & a full detachment, torn hamstrings. Popped ribs, strained pecs, calves, adductor, lats.

I’ve had to get a lot smarter to keep making progress!

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
who else is in?
Yeah..screw that. Im 45 and have had 2 back surgeries. Im at the age were I just go heavy on stuff that dont hurt. If I cant go heavy..i dont do em. Im guessing said movement with heavy weight would have me in the ER.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah..screw that. Im 45 and have had 2 back surgeries. Im at the age were I just go heavy on stuff that dont hurt. If I cant go heavy..i dont do em. Im guessing said movement with heavy weight would have me in the ER.
do em with dumbbells i can and i have 4 herniated disks

only one surgery

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hey brothers. Let me lay something out here. I’m doing this split that I always seem to gravitate to and I want to see what you guys think. I think my response to training is cyclical and I can respond to both high and low volume and high and low reps.
Ok so I’m rather tall 6’3
And I definitely struggle with arms and legs. Back, chest and shoulders grow quick enough.

So example last week:
M -
4x Incline Press
4x DB 1/2 incline
3x parallel dips (weighted)
Incline flye machine
Pulley flyes (upper/lower)
3 Close Grip
3 EZ Skullcrushers
2 Rope or bar pulldowns

T -
Dead’s x4
Bent over row x4
Lat pull down 4
Straight Arm pulley pullovers
Maybe cable rows
Heavy rope face pulls 4
Reverse flyes
Upright smith rows heavy 4
Lateral raise front n side
BB Curl 4
Preacher 3
Hammer or pulley curls 3

W-
Squats 5
Angled press 5
Extensions 4
Leg curls 4
Stuffs or hypers
Calves 3 exercises 3 sets

And then take a day or two off and repeat. I feel like it’s helping build some strength and stamina in my arms training them AFTER pushes or pulls. And hitting legs twice in a week is a plus.

Keep in mind that I haven’t been as consistent. Trained only 9 months of 2018 after a year off, and then just started up 6 weeks ago after 4 months off. Newbie training split will work for a while. Not forever I’m sure.

Thoughts ?

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I always do isolations AFTER compounds (arms after pushes and pulls)

You might think about adding in some purely forearm movements, cable Pronations and supinations. Wrist curls and extensions. It helps beef up longer arms.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
i would give your arms the pain treatment I did last season and it worked out quite well if your assisted.

just do arms every day, like feeder sets. finish your daily routine and take 10 mins and pump up the arms. Also do a full arm day 1 time per week.

i think the layout is fine just add this to your routine.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Oh yeah buddy! I’m with you xR1pp3Rx on feeders. Some light dumbbells, pump up the arms.

except I do it before bed after the last meal starts breaking down well enough to get into the blood. I usually do side laterals and a a couple of sets of curls and tricep kickbacks with just 15s

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would agree with Witch & Ripper. Add a heavy triceps movement on day 3 and a bicep & forearm movement on day 1 & 3.

If your legs aren’t growing, you need to either increase volume, frequency or intensity. Frequency of once every 4 days is nearly maxed out, and doing more volume can get to be a lot of time - in my opinion you should consider more intensity. A true 20 rep widow maker set of squats/hacks/legpress can do more than the 10 sets of squat/angle press you have scheduled now - it just takes serious fire to get through.

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This is eye opening- I had no idea all of you buy into feeder exercises. I honestly swear they hindered progress for me.....thought that was just a Rich Piana innovation! I have very good luck with my arms though - easily my best body part- got lucky with that

Edit: ok, that might have sounded a bit condescending lol...by "buy into" I mean "have good results" ...not how it sounded when I read it back

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I got the idea from Arnold Schwarzenegger, indirectly. He mentioned crunches in the morning, a lot, in his old articles etc. I remembered all my friends doing some crunches, sit-ups, push-ups, pull ups, maybe curls in the morning or before bed or both, and before I started lifting seriously I did the same things... so I just kept a lot of it and altered what I did to suit my needs, finding that morning was not the best time but before bed was perfect. So I rarely do any sort of exercise or training in the morning.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
This is eye opening- I had no idea all of you buy into feeder exercises. I honestly swear they hindered progress for me.....thought that was just a Rich Piana innovation! I have very good luck with my arms though - easily my best body part- got lucky with that

Edit: ok, that might have sounded a bit condescending lol...by "buy into" I mean "have good results" ...not how it sounded when I read it back
I didn’t say feeder, I agreed to suggested frequency. I said one hard set - as in, bust your ass and give the muscle a reason to adapt. Not junk reps or bloodflow work for active recovery & tendon health, that doesn’t count.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I don’t think Rich Piana ever innovated anything... as far as I knew, light feeder sets are a staple from the 50s.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
When it came to training and drug info, he always seemed pretty much spot on. Even if it went against traditional bodybuilding dogma.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
8 Hour Arms, bro!

R.I.P.iana
actually that was made by poliquin.. piana just tried to do it on video. i still have the og muscle media 2k in which he gave the full program and supplements.
i didnt read the article but I believe this is the OG from mm2k.. T.C. Louama owns t nation which makes me think this is the OG. https://www.t-nation.com/training/one-day-arm-cure

as for feeders... RP did give it that name but he also did that as witch descrbes. before bed, with a light db.

I on the other hand simply stole the term and gave it some actual bite.. as in I really move volume and heavy every day.. just not so many set and exercises, perhaps 2-3 exercises for 8-12 reps working as hard as I can. And i do that before I leave the gym while I am still engorged with blood.

i gained an easy inch on my arms last yr alone. ... that being said. My joints took a pounding an I have since abandoned the feeders until my next (if ever) bulk.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeah I’m doing like 30+ rep burners for my feeders. In multiples.

Rich did 10x10s

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
did i mention i am 47 in 10 days? Id like to get another inch this yr..

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Yep..I pump the arms every day..and go heavy twice a week. I find that Im stronger on compound movements when my arms are full of blood

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I use the John meadows formula as far as regular training when I split my routine. I get a pump, work heavy, then do volume, then do stretch lifts. I just didn’t know there was a name for that. I just figured that was the way it ought to go.

But that’s totally separate from my feeder sets, which happen hours later, after several meals and some recovery.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good stuff guys/ I need to think outside the box on my training to get to where I want to get.

Just turned 40 xRipperx!
I’m only more motivated, that’s it. Thanks to science I will be bigger and stronger than when I was 25-30