Mass Tab Causes Stroke in 17-Year-Old Football Player

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Mass Tab is a prohormone supplement marketed to help users gain size and strength. Unfortunately, the makers of this product are in a heap of controversy after the product was linked to allegedly causing a stroke in a 17-year-old football player who used the product and then fell ill!

“The manufacturers of Mass Tab have engaged in what appears to be fraud and reckless and negligent marketing of a bogus bulking supplement that contained a steroid,” said Greg Davis, attorney for the young football player, who filed a lawsuit in state court today. “The manufacturers failed to test and to warn the public of the known risks of its product, insidiously marketing it as having ‘low side-effects.’”

So Here Goes The Story

According to the complaint, Jacob Bray, a 17 year old athlete, purchased Mass Tab from the Supplement Shak in Oklahoma. He used the “supplement” over the course of several weeks. On January 31, 2008, he was weightlifting and immediately after doing a lift had a severe headache, which he terms as “an instant migraine,” and was disoriented. He was driven home by a friend and was still disoriented so he placed an icepack on his head, and took some Tylenol. When the headache seemed to intensify, his mother made an appointment with a neurologist and an MRI/MRA was ordered, at which time it was discovered that he son had suffered a stroke!

“My heart sank when I was told my son had suffered a stroke,” said Mrs. Bray. “The profiteers who sell hidden steroids in unhealthful ‘health’ supplements must be held accountable for their irresponsible conduct. For heaven’s sake, my son is just a teenager with his entire life before him.” Her attorney added, “Jacob was never informed about the extremely dangerous and sometimes lethal effects of steroids contained in dietary supplement products like Mass Tab.“

Mass Tab is a supplement marketed by IDS Sports, Supplement Synergy and Challenger Holdings. Mass Tab appears to have been pulled recently from the market but could be sold and marketed under a new name. Mass Tab contains, as one of its active ingredients, Stenbolone, which is a steroid launched in 1963 by Syntex, a pharmaceutical company no longer in business that was based in Mexico City. For more information check out
Dangerous Supplements

Mass Tab Causes Stroke in 17-Year-Old Football Player? | SupplementGenius.com

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
Another prime example of people not taking responsibility for their actions. Rather than questioning why a 17 yr old was running a potent PH 'over the course of several weeks' they sue the manufacturer when there are health issues.

As for his mother saying IDS 'must be held accountable for their irresponsible conduct', where the hell was she during the last several weeks when her 17 yr old son was taking a steroid?!?!?

thenatureboy

thenatureboy

Awards
Why are kids under the age of 18 being sold these products. Supplement shops should make it policy not to sell PH products to people under 18. This would protect them and the rest of us that use these products responsibily and not have to worry about another congressional hearing on banning supplements.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's more likely to happen (medically speaking): a steroid causing a bloodclot in a matter of weeks or a clot occurring due to injury from football? Trauma is one of the main causes of a thrombosis, but that's being completely ignored.

CT3

CT3

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. The kid probably knew exactly what he was taking but did not care about the sides or thought that he couldn't be adversely effected by them. At 17 he should have been taking creatine and protein if he wanted to take anything.

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
Stupid kid, mom is a moron as well. It's jackasses like this that ruin it for the rest of us.

danieltx13

Awards
  • Established
Nobody needs to be held accountable for their irresposibility except for that kid. You need to do a lot of research before you take any sort of supplement, especially a prohormone, and I'm sure he didn't do that. There's also no reason for him to be taking something like that at 17-years-old. That's just retarded.

nomoredex

nomoredex

Awards
  • Established
damn , thats another thing against the ph companies.
dumb store and kid, he should of known and the store should of told him, kid this stuff aint candy they're steroids.

RepThat21

RepThat21

Awards
  • Established
supp shops need to stop selling this stuff to kids...get them some cell-tech if they wanna get hyyyooge

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Lets all jump to conclusions again media.
This is dumb, it annoys me to see how the smart understanding people suffer for the idiots.

Heres comes another raid! :eek:uttahere:

crowbar46

Awards
  • Established
Good luck proving it was the "dangerous steroid" that caused her son's stroke.

Crowbar

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
this happen over 18 months ago.... why is this news now?

gymaddict20

gymaddict20

Awards
  • Established
I love how no one can take responsibility for their own actions. The store that sold it to him is at fault not the manufacturer. Ruins it yet again for the rest of us.

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
What's more likely to happen (medically speaking): a steroid causing a bloodclot in a matter of weeks or a clot occurring due to injury from football? Trauma is one of the main causes of a thrombosis, but that's being completely ignored.
Exactly.

Lets pretend that he didn't know what he was taking-READ WHAT YOU'RE PUTTING INTO YOUR BODY!

The retailer should be sued for not giving him the proper information and for selling it to a 17yr old.

MEANWHILE IN THE REAL WORLD:

He more than likely knew exactly what he was taking and didn't take the right support supps b/c he didn't want to spend the extra money and then this happens to him and it turns into "Mommy I had no idea there was a steroid in there, I thought it was magic creatine.":twak:

This is getting frustrating.

I'm still waiting for some major news network to have an open discussion on a evening show so that I can call in and talk about this to vent.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
My first thought too... The second being the kid and his mom are complete tools

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
Another prime example of people not taking responsibility for their actions. Rather than questioning why a 17 yr old was running a potent PH 'over the course of several weeks' they sue the manufacturer when there are health issues.

As for his mother saying IDS 'must be held accountable for their irresponsible conduct', where the hell was she during the last several weeks when her 17 yr old son was taking a steroid?!?!?
point said!!
to bad the judge just dont turn this sh1t around on his family and him,
really who do u guys thinks at fault????
ppl will do eny thing not to own up to there actions.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
really who do u guys thinks at fault????
The bulk of the fault lies with the 17 year old kid, but considering he is a minor it would be transferred to his guardian (correct?), who through ignorance allowed her kid to use PH's. No one forced him to take Mass Tabs and I guarantee the kid knew exactly what was going on. Not to mention the label specifically states not for use by anyone under the age of 18.

The supplement store shouldn't of sold it to the kid for one. I used to work at a GNC. There are a lot of negative aspects about that corporation, but they require ID for their few hormonals (even AI's), and require you to be at least 21 to purchase. Effective enforcement depends on the management, obviously. However they don't give employees any education about hormonals so the majority are ignorant and don't know better when they try to push the product.

RepThat21

RepThat21

Awards
  • Established
The supplement store shouldn't of sold it to the kid for one. I used to work at a GNC. There are a lot of negative aspects about that corporation, but they require ID for their few hormonals (even AI's), and require you to be at least 21 to purchase. Effective enforcement depends on the management, obviously. However they don't give employees any education about hormonals so the majority are ignorant and don't know better when they try to push the product.

Very true,i work at GNC right now and everything i know about hormonal products i have learned through my own research.i work with a few guys who don't have a clue what they're selling to people, just how much comish they get and now because of all of this, last week GNC had us pull all of the hormonals we had left off the shelves. funny thing is my coworkers had no idea why.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Why are kids under the age of 18 being sold these products. Supplement shops should make it policy not to sell PH products to people under 18. This would protect them and the rest of us that use these products responsibily and not have to worry about another congressional hearing on banning supplements.
That's the problem! They sell this stuff in the same places where you can buy nutrition, and dumb kids will buy it. Products should be labeled "nutrition based" and "not nutrition based".

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You ever check out the label on that product? 30 herbal ingredients with "Stenbolone" stuck in the middle. In this case I just completely disagree. How is someone to know what the hell "stenbolone" is and it is easy to miss in that list. I didn't see the warnings on the box, but I hope at least they had clear over 21 on their supplement. I am all for responsible adults to use these products, but they need to be clearly labeled and have an over 21 warning on them IMHO.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Very true,i work at GNC right now and everything i know about hormonal products i have learned through my own research.i work with a few guys who don't have a clue what they're selling to people, just how much comish they get and now because of all of this, last week GNC had us pull all of the hormonals we had left off the shelves. funny thing is my coworkers had no idea why.
Haha GNC is quite the joke, the only thing i liked was the employee discounts on the post-dated goodies. It helped that my manager didn't make us dispose returns (which we kept :01:), and that he'd let us put stuff in the back room until it dropped down to 50% or 33% of the list price. Otherwise that company sucks, they create irresponsible salespeople by stressing numbers and commissions instead of creating a knowledgeable salesperson who isn't trying to rip the customer off.

Anyways, I was in the same situation as you are. I was the most knowledgeable employee at our store about hormonals (which isn't saying much) and idk how many times i had to talk idiot kids out of buying PH's. Most of them would just blow me off and try to buy one anyways, which worked out great because the majority of the kids weren't even out of highschool so I gladly refused the sale.

I remember one time I got called in by my friend working closing shift to *talk* to this kid about some things he was wanting to buy. I gave the kid a no BS five minute education about why he didn't need to buy 2 different PH's, which he didn't know anything about, and an AI. I could tell he was just blowing me off because he wanted to be right, so I finally just told him to go ahead with it but not to be surprised if he was in worse shape then when he started. My friend managed to somehow talk him out of the sale after I got tired of wasting my time. Funny thing was this kid was talking smack about how i didn't know what i was talking about and i was just a d-bag.

Whatever. Kids who consider a PH cycle are either 1) not educated enough to know (minority) 2) know enough to realize they shouldn't take it but want to cheat instead of putting in hard work and discipline. I think its a damn shame that the responsible educated users have to suffer because of their stupidity, but IMO they deserve every ounce of health problems. Choosing to be ignorant about the truth doesn't hide the fact that its still there.

EDIT: Forgot to add my reply to this-

You ever check out the label on that product? 30 herbal ingredients with "Stenbolone" stuck in the middle. In this case I just completely disagree. How is someone to know what the hell "stenbolone" is and it is easy to miss in that list. I didn't see the warnings on the box, but I hope at least they had clear over 21 on their supplement. I am all for responsible adults to use these products, but they need to be clearly labeled and have an over 21 warning on them IMHO.
I googled the product label and the warnings weren't well written. Nothing about checking with a physician outside medical problems, recommended minimum age was 18. They messed up quite majorly there, but in this case the kid is 17 so you could say they scraped past that one.

I agree that someone won't know what the hell stenbolone is and that it is easy to miss, but at the same time they alone are responsible for what they put in their body even if they choose not to realize it.

RepThat21

RepThat21

Awards
  • Established
Haha GNC is quite the joke, the only thing i liked was the employee discounts on the post-dated goodies. It helped that my manager didn't make us dispose returns (which we kept :01:), and that he'd let us put stuff in the back room until it dropped down to 50% or 33% of the list price. Otherwise that company sucks, they create irresponsible salespeople by stressing numbers and commissions instead of creating a knowledgeable salesperson who isn't trying to rip the customer off.

Anyways, I was in the same situation as you are. I was the most knowledgeable employee at our store about hormonals (which isn't saying much) and idk how many times i had to talk idiot kids out of buying PH's. Most of them would just blow me off and try to buy one anyways, which worked out great because the majority of the kids weren't even out of highschool so I gladly refused the sale.

Sounds like we worked at the same GNC.ive got quite the selection of returns that fill up my kitchen.friends dont complain either when i give them a more than half full tub of creatine or protein cus i simply have too much already at my house to take before its all expired haha its a good way to try stuff i never want to spend money on so i cant complain.

back on topic tho, i fully agree the ingredients weren't very telling.probly a bad call on IDS' part.if anything id say thats what any lawsuit will be based upon.the shady/lack of labeling.definitely shoulda been 21 and over too not 18 on there.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Yes we should all be responsible for our own actions. INCLUDING IDS-MASS TABS! They intentionally mislead an very little warnings on this lable. I am pissed with ban, but here is a classic example of why it's good.

redline2101

Awards
Well it didn't say anything about him using cycle support, maybe would have prevented that... I mean Mass tabs are shady imo anyway.

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It is a classic example of why the ban is reasonable. There are synthetic and natural compounds out there and also anything hormonal should have an over 21 label in my opinion. Over 21 lets people know that this stuff is serious and needs to be respected.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Indeed. But kids will find a way to get it... just like Beer!
It is a classic example of why the ban is reasonable. There are synthetic and natural compounds out there and also anything hormonal should have an over 21 label in my opinion. Over 21 lets people know that this stuff is serious and needs to be respected.

thenatureboy

thenatureboy

Awards
Instead of a ban why not make it legal for 21 and over and keep the products on the market. Was tobacco banned? No. Just made it 21 and up. And beer, also not banned, but how many people have been killed by under age drinking and driving? People will find a way to get what they want weather of age or not, true. But why punish an entire group of people using a product responsibily? Punishment should be on the ones that avert the law and use when not allowed to.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Instead of a ban why not make it legal for 21 and over and keep the products on the market. Was tobacco banned? No. Just made it 21 and up. And beer, also not banned, but how many people have been killed by under age drinking and driving? People will find a way to get what they want weather of age or not, true. But why punish an entire group of people using a product responsibily? Punishment should be on the ones that avert the law and use when not allowed to.
Your argument about people using in a responsible manner can be smashed by the percentage of people who are on TRT because of failed cycles, as well as the amount of men walking around with gynecomastia. It is what it is... wooooooooooo! (Sorry, I couldn't help it)

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You'll get no disagreement here!

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
age for tobacco sale is 18. alcohol is 21. PH should be 21 as well.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
At least with this crackdown, we won't have so many people calling themselves "natural" just because they arn't on anything illegal.

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
At least with this crackdown, we won't have so many people calling themselves "natural" just because they arn't on anything illegal.
Amen. If you use SUPERDROL you are not natural!

rab71

rab71

Awards
THis reminds me of a local story. The entire high school football team in one of the towns around here used 5 deca zol! That stuff is nasty... Out of the team one ended up in the hospital with liver and kidney damage. I dont know why only one... Anyway, the MOM bought it for him!!! They market that stuff at Complete Nutrition as a natural supplement. At least here they did... Natural my ars...

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
THis reminds me of a local story. The entire high school football team in one of the towns around here used 5 deca zol! That stuff is nasty... Out of the team one ended up in the hospital with liver and kidney damage. I dont know why only one... Anyway, the MOM bought it for him!!! They market that stuff at Complete Nutrition as a natural supplement. At least here they did... Natural my ars...
nasty!

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
I agree.
And legal punishment will just compound all the bad health problems the irresponsible ones will get.
If a company mislabels, its their fault.
But if they put the ingredient on the label and warnings, its the consumers fault.
Then again a majority of adults I know personally will not even read a book or their insurance policy so its not surprising that labels are not read.
And the internet is everywhere.
Google search and you can get a ton of info.

I do hope the kid recovers somewhat.
To be that young and have several major organs jacked up will be a hard life.

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
a review from supplementcritic

NOT Recommended Took 5-Deca-Zol as instructed. Wound up in hospital toward end of 30 day cycle. Tests showed inflammation of pancreas and liver. Blood tests showed elevated liver enzymes and bilirubin. Experienced extreme abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and jaundice. 4 wks later, liver function still not returned to normal.
the reply

If you noticed anything weird with your body, you should've taken a liver/milk thistle product or started your PCT.
Kinda why i never actually messed with a ph.
Even understanding how to cycle and do proper pct it scared the behoobies out of me.

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
Isnt the capsule they fill it in still all natural? :laugh:

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
10 to 1 a sleazy lawyer is behind the law suit. worst part is if the kid is really messed up the family's share will probably just barely pay for immediate medical care. the sleaze bag lawyer will clean up. the law profession will be driving force behind many claims sensationalizing the use of ph's. the ball is rolling downhill, no stopping it now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
General Chat 3
Ari Gold Product Reviews 0
Cycle Logs 4
OTC Drug 1
Post Cycle Therapy 4