Local Cortisone Injection?

testodan

testodan

Awards
I had wrenched my ankle before three months and is being bloated till now, not in the degree was at the beginning though.I did an MRI and nothing seems broken or something similar.Only bloated fractures to inner and outer side of ankle and heel.
My doc was giving me nemesulide for about a month which doesn't help.He said that can do a local Cortisone injection to the tendon.
I've heard from a pro runner that local cortisone can destroy the muscle without being able to get its strength back.
What do you think,should i do this?Next month must be able to train.
Thanks.

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
I would do a lot of searches on cortisone shots before getting one.

Cortisone is not good IMO. I have had 2 shots and have done nothing but regret it. I will never let a doctor give me another shot of cortisone.

If you get the shot and continue to train you are going to further injure yourself and cause yourself to have to go through more rehab later.

testodan

testodan

Awards

TheDrive

Awards
There are a number of factors to consider if thinking about a cortisone injection.

#1...(like has been mentioned before) Cortisone injections can deteriorate muscle and tendon/ligament fiber. It's not a huge problem in a region where there is naturally more muscle mass and bloodflow, but in an area like an ankle, it could definitely do more damage.

#2...Unless you're competing in a sport and you have a serious desire to get back on the field as soon as possible, don't do it. The effect the cortisone shot will have is great! You don't feel a damn thing after one of those. The problem with IS EXACTLY THAT. You have an astronomical chance of causing severe injury to the affected region because you don't feel any indications that you are indeed injuring the tendons/ligaments beyond the initial trama.

I've made this mistake in the past. Please for the love of God!!! Learn from my mistake. I had a cortisone injection put into my shoulder's rotator cuff so I could finish the rest of the baseball season (I pitched). It never felt better! UNTIL the season was over and it wore off. It turns out I drastically increased the size of the tear and the recovery time was ridiculous.

You need to ask yourself how important it is to restart whatever activity it was that caused the injury. Personally, I wouldn't do it unless a scholarship or contract for example was on the line...

djl

Awards
  • Established
It turns out I drastically increased the size of the tear and the recovery time was ridiculous.
So have you had full recovery from your RC tear? What was involved?