Lifting with a physical job

Noncompetitive

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I'm a 48 year old welder/steel worker. Very intense hot and physical job. I had a week off and my lifts went way up. For example I had a max on seated rows of 205lbs x 10. I was doing 260lbs x 8 at the end of my break. Very little soreness and just felt strong. So my question is since obviously I can't quit my job, should I reduce lifting routine to maybe 3 times a week instead of 5 just to give these older muscles more chance to recover? Thanks as always guys.

MikeSumthin

MikeSumthin

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I'm a railroad worker... the days out in the heat or extreme cold take it out of me alot...

What helps me is changing my rep ranges every week. Also helps not hit a plateau.

Preworkout, good amount of food, and of course plenty of rest play a big part.

Truthfully I feel like even more of a slug if I eat any kind of garbage food prior, even the entire day beforehand.

Noncompetitive

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I'm a railroad worker... the days out in the heat or extreme cold take it out of me alot...

What helps me is changing my rep ranges every week. Also helps not hit a plateau.

Preworkout, good amount of food, and of course plenty of rest play a big part.

Truthfully I feel like even more of a slug if I eat any kind of garbage food prior, even the entire day beforehand.
I build railcars. Lol. I know we understand.

cruze1911r1

cruze1911r1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Tool and Die maker here. Our shop is not air conditioned and Michigan summers get hot and humid. I hear you on this one. I train in the morning in my cold basement. Morning training isn't as intense for me but it's the best I can do for now. After a day in the heat I'm fried then add in the evening routine with the kids and there's not much time or energy for a meaningful workout

Noncompetitive

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Tool and Die maker here. Our shop is not air conditioned and Michigan summers get hot and humid. I hear you on this one. I train in the morning in my cold basement. Morning training isn't as intense for me but it's the best I can do for now. After a day in the heat I'm fried then add in the evening routine with the kids and there's not much time or energy for a meaningful workout
I really pack the workouts in on the weekend. F,S, Sunday. Try to get a couple of light ones in during the week. About the best I can do

DinnerTable

DinnerTable

Awards
My last job was very physical. Moving machines around all day, constantly bending over and cleaning hydraulic lines, going into the hot black oxide rooms to dip parts, using various grind wheels.. also loading up trays of parts every hour. The things that worked best for me was: making sure diet and sleep were very much on point (leaving little room for error), morning training with a 4 day Upper/Lower split. My training had me doing some warm ups, then doing 2 hard sets per exercise. Not going overboard, and making sure recovery was priority.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hook me up with that Mr. Kronic
if you are willing to do tech support (phone calls, chats, tickets) then you can probably land an entry level job doing web hosting tech support. it's kinda stressful but it's kinda like paid college. then eventually you can get promoted out of support and into something more enjoyable. that's what I did at least.