Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
When you say failed what do you mean?

If you mean the velcro, a lot of velcro belts now use the locking system that (Schiek I think?) came up with. Even if the velcro comes undone the belt stays secure.
Mine faild too, the ducktape lost its stickyness🤪

Now i got @MrKleen73 's belt and im breaking it in still, its a monster of a belt lol. Im excited to use it! Im afraid im gonna do something stupid like test all my 1rm's as soon as its ready 😂

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ya it was the velcro. Sorry, shoulda mentioned that. Ya man, it was only after maybe 6 months and I only ever did dead and rack pulls with it. I was doing sumo-deads when it happened and I had just started to be able to get 400 up for a 1rep-max. I freaked and kept worrying I was gonna feel something yucky happen in my nether regions. Lol
Ya there are a few that use the locking mechanism so even if the velcro fails it'll stay snug. Could be worth looking into if you still want a belt of a similar style.

reforged

Awards
Good to know, I always thought the velcro belt was pretty comfortable so l will have to check into one with a locking mechanism. I was looking at lever style but I've never used one and feel like I need to learn more about them

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good to know, I always thought the velcro belt was pretty comfortable so l will have to check into one with a locking mechanism. I was looking at lever style but I've never used one and feel like I need to learn more about them
You flip the lever and it gets tight. You flip it off and it becomes loose so you can unclasp it. If it’s too tight or loose when flipped, you use a screwdriver to adjust the buckle position. Which lets you know if your waist is getting thicker or thinner over time, since you normally won’t need to adjust that often at all.

They are VERY user friendly and save a lot of time/energy in the gym. Absolutely worthwhile, unless you like your belt set to different tightnesses all the time for different lifts.

reforged

Awards
Thank you, I was kinda embarrassed to ask how ya adjust em . Lol. I see in like wsm n meets all the time n I guess it flew right over my head. Lol. I guess I just feel like they might be more durable?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thank you, I was kinda embarrassed to ask how ya adjust em . Lol. I see in like wsm n meets all the time n I guess it flew right over my head. Lol. I guess I just feel like they might be more durable?
Oh a quality powerbelt with a lever is very durable, as long as you aren’t banging the lever abusively on things. I have had my Titan lever belt for 12 years now - it’s as good as the day I got it, including the original lever. Two screws if I have been gaining or losing fat and need to adjust the lever. Some companies these days like Pioneer even have levers that micro adjust, so you can micro adjust for different lifts (looser for deadlifts, tighter for OHP, etc).

Buy nice, or buy twice. Do not get the cheapest one you can find.

reforged

Awards
Thanks guys, that helps the decision. Ya, I kinda figured on this one it's best to put legitimate $ into it. Not gonna break the bank but definitely won't cheap out either

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Ya there are a few that use the locking mechanism so even if the velcro fails it'll stay snug. Could be worth looking into if you still want a belt of a similar style.
You flip the lever and it gets tight. You flip it off and it becomes loose so you can unclasp it. If it’s too tight or loose when flipped, you use a screwdriver to adjust the buckle position. Which lets you know if your waist is getting thicker or thinner over time, since you normally won’t need to adjust that often at all.

They are VERY user friendly and save a lot of time/energy in the gym. Absolutely worthwhile, unless you like your belt set to different tightnesses all the time for different lifts.
This is all new to me. I just started looking up these belts and i Definitely have seen them before, but never put any thought into it being different, just thought it was giant clip instead of velcrow or holes

reforged

Awards
I'd be lying if I said that seeing big ol Eddie Hall, or Thor locking some giant ass strap down didn't have something to do with it 😂

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'd be lying if I said that seeing big ol Eddie Hall, or Thor locking some giant ass strap down didn't have something to do with it
So there are a few types of belt to consider. Velcro ones like “deadlift belts” often have a lock ring you lace the strap through a couple rings to cinch it, then Velcro it down. The Velcro wears out fast.

There’s a power belt, which has standard dimensions and that’s really what you want for a lot of heavy lifting or strength training. You can get a prong (like a traditional pant belt) to go through the holes, or a lever like I was advocating to save a lot of energy/time.

Lastly, there are some belts of various/non-standard dimensions that use a ratchet strap mechanism (just like a towstrap). These were invented before levers really, and already provided the solution for constantly variable tightness without having to mess with the effort of a prong every set. But they are not legal in powerlifting or standard in dimension the way powerbelts are, so more of a gym or strongman thing. Definitely not a bad option.

There’s also bodybuilding style and weightlifting style belts, but these really don’t give a lot of support at all because they are tapered down in the front - the entire point of a belt is to allow you to brace your abs harder. If there’s almost no material to push off of in the front, the erectors are the only thing that gets a boost. You also want to be engaging the abs & obliques maximally.

And soft/neoprene belts, but these are more like low back/ab warmers. Sometimes guys will wear these under their powerbelts or ratcheting belts in strongman if they want the extra support & heat.