leucine insulin spike post workout

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
apparently post workout , if you use 10g of leucine + carbs, you will get 220% insulin secretion vs carbs only having 60% above baseline.

since whey has leucine in it, taking it with carbs should mimic this effect right?

further, if you take insulin products like p slin or anabolic pump how do these effects differ? do they stack? is there a maximum insulin spike desired? or could these two scenarios replace the other?

thanks if anyone can clarify.

darkvard

Awards
pretty sure the animo has to be free form .
was it not 5 grams?

elabor

elabor

Awards
apparently post workout , if you use 10g of leucine + carbs, you will get 220% insulin secretion vs carbs only having 60% above baseline.

since whey has leucine in it, taking it with carbs should mimic this effect right?

further, if you take insulin products like p slin or anabolic pump how do these effects differ? do they stack? is there a maximum insulin spike desired? or could these two scenarios replace the other?

thanks if anyone can clarify.
I know everything you say is hypothetical, but I would love to read anything you have to support this theory. thanks

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes, insulin release is stimulated by leucine, but the 220% statistic is, IMO, unreliable.

Insulin is released in direct proportion to stimulus size. I.E. you eat more carbs, you get a bigger insulin response; same with more leucine, you get a bigger release with larger consumption.

So, there may be a specific situation where, with a certain amount of a certain carb, you can get 220% insulin by adding 10g leucine, but unless you know exactly what that situation is (i.e. exactly how many g of cho and what kind), that number is of little value.

Additionally, bear in mind that while some amino acids, like leucine, are capable of causing an insulin spike, they are rapidly cleared from serum and, therefore, have no lasting impact on insulin levels. Carbs will spike insulin and then have a gradual decrease over time to baseline; leucine will cause a spike followed by a very rapid return to baseline.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is a VERY good thing, btw

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
hell yeah - I put 5-10g in all my shakes now. Insulin spike while on a keto diet is very handy.
Several key times of the day, as long as macros are balanced correctly, can maximize protein synthesis.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
glad I just ordered a kilo of bulk leucine :D

thanks for the info guys!

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Several key times of the day, as long as macros are balanced correctly, can maximize protein synthesis.
I take a scoop of nutraplanet bulk bcaa's with every meal. :)

My post workout shakes gets 2 scoops. :D

bj22

Awards

can someone explain how leucine and boosting insulin can be useful on a low carb diet/ carb cycling?

specifically, i am having a hard time figuring out if i should be using carbs post workout and if it is best to incorporate leucine with them.

thanks.

TxHomeGrown

Awards
I know everything you say is hypothetical, but I would love to read anything you have to support this theory. thanks
search for "leucine CHO protein" on google. first result. cant post links yet

bj22

Awards
i have already read the studies and there seems to be quite a bit of conflicting information. i thought some body here might know the answer.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i have already read the studies and there seems to be quite a bit of conflicting information. i thought some body here might know the answer.
Still open to interpretation...use your body as guinea pig and monitor results closely and as objectively as you can.

bj22

Awards
thanks for chiming in. you previously mentioned using leucine several key times a day while on a low carb diet is beneficial which sparked my interest since i am currently following a carb cycling protocol to help shed a few pounds. would you please elaborate? what times do you think are most beneficial? thank you.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
thanks for chiming in. you previously mentioned using leucine several key times a day while on a low carb diet is beneficial which sparked my interest since i am currently following a carb cycling protocol to help shed a few pounds. would you please elaborate? what times do you think are most beneficial? thank you.
According to the latest research I've been following, keeping blood amino levels high all the time becomes counterproductive.

Leucine itself, when taken periodically between protein meals (when blood amino levels are low) appears to trigger protein synthesis.

For example, I take in some protein around 2.5 hours before workout, drink a BCAA drink during workout to trigger synthesis, then drink a protein drink 20-30 minutes after workout to reflood the system with the other aminos.