Lemon Myrtle?

Islander73

Awards
Lots of buzz about this plant being able to stimulate sattelite cells. Looks promising. Anyone trying it etc?

migsacura

migsacura

Awards
Some sources claiming could be the most anabolic natural supplement ever. I'm eagerly waiting for good extract to be released in capsule form.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Looks like Kaneka Corp (big CoQ10 supplier) has a patent on a specific type, and also had some role in the study I posted above https://patents.google.com/patent/US10729737B2/en
I don't laugh much but literally laughed out loud when I read the conflict of interest part of the study (because I already knew that Kaneka had a financial interest in Lemon Myrtle.

For laughs, there is the 'Conflict of Interest' portion from the study link you posted (and its even funnier to read after you posting info that Kaneka has patents on some Lemon Myrtle extracts):

"A.Y., S.H., M.O. and M.K. are employees of the Kaneka Corporation; and R.T. is an employee of the Kaneka Techno Research Corporation. There are no conflicts of interest to declare."

^^^ If the authors of the study being employees of the company that have patents and financial interests involved in the study isn't considered a conflict of interest, I'm not sure what is lol. I have no issue with them being part of the study bc that's very common, but I think its ironic that they disclose that in the conflict of interest section and then say there are no conflicts of interest; I think that they should have just said - yes, they're employees of Kaneka and left it at that.

Plus, something that I haven't seen anyone point out anywhere is that this study was published March 4th, 2022 and the patent application from Kaneka was filed on 10-6-2016 and published on 3-7-2019 and granted on 8-4-2020; so all the dates involved in that preceded the study.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Some sources claiming could be the most anabolic natural supplement ever. I'm eagerly waiting for good extract to be released in capsule form.
I think that there is a lot more to the situation with this ingredient than most people are familiar with; I just posted a little about that in the above post.

I think that is has good potential IF the correct extracts are used but that a lot more research is needed to be conclusive as to how well it works and also to see if it works in the real world in the athletic/bodybuilding population. There are some great options for helping support decreased muscle loss in aging individuals that don't necessarily pan out in terms of bodybuilding type results. Some do, some don't and it normally takes real world trial and error to establish which ones do and don't.

I think that we're already seeing this ingredient be way overhyped and being touted as the next holy grail of bodybuilding ingredients and my fear is that the hype marketing is going to create unrealistic expectations with it that even if it turns out to be great, that nothing natural would be able to live up to if that makes sense. And when this happens, there's almost always a backlash against the ingredient and people say - oh, such and such doesn't work - when the reality is that yes, it may work but it works the way it works, not the way people and companies overhyping it say it works.

For example, Phosphatidic Acid is an awesome ingredient and I love it, people love it, and Phosphatidic Acid XT is probably one of our most anticipated releases ever. But if you remember back to when it was first brought to market, there was backlash against it bc some companies promoted it for d-bol like gains and when people didn't gain 10 to 15 lbs in a month, they said it didn't work; when in reality it works great, it wasn't the supplements fault it was mis-marketed. The truth is that PA is a great ingredient for consistent gains and can be used long term for great continuous consistent gains but needs time to build up in your system for best results (the complete opposite of the way it was originally marketed).

I hope all that makes sense.

If I had to guess, and its only a guess, but I would say that this is going to turn out to be an okay ingredient but would be more of a supporting role ingredient, like something that would be a great addition to an already good formula but likely wouldn't be the best candidate the main all-star ingredient of one.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I wanted to follow up on my posts above. I had done a lot of looking into this awhile back and went over my notes to refresh myself on it, and I doubt that you'll be seeing Lemon Myrtle at a proper extract used by any legitimate supplement companies unless Kaneka decides to offer it as a branded ingredient because they appear to have the patents wrapped up pretty good on this.

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I don't laugh much but literally laughed out loud when I read the conflict of interest part of the study (because I already knew that Kaneka had a financial interest in Lemon Myrtle.

For laughs, there is the 'Conflict of Interest' portion from the study link you posted (and its even funnier to read after you posting info that Kaneka has patents on some Lemon Myrtle extracts):

"A.Y., S.H., M.O. and M.K. are employees of the Kaneka Corporation; and R.T. is an employee of the Kaneka Techno Research Corporation. There are no conflicts of interest to declare."

^^^ If the authors of the study being employees of the company that have patents and financial interests involved in the study isn't considered a conflict of interest, I'm not sure what is lol. I have no issue with them being part of the study bc that's very common, but I think its ironic that they disclose that in the conflict of interest section and then say there are no conflicts of interest; I think that they should have just said - yes, they're employees of Kaneka and left it at that.

Plus, something that I haven't seen anyone point out anywhere is that this study was published March 4th, 2022 and the patent application from Kaneka was filed on 10-6-2016 and published on 3-7-2019 and granted on 8-4-2020; so all the dates involved in that preceded the study.
This is why it’s so imperative to read studies thoroughly lmao 🤣

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
This is why it’s so imperative to read studies thoroughly lmao 🤣
I had to laugh at the conflict of interest part - but I guess if they're being technical, maybe there is no 'conflict' of interest but I'd say that there was definitely an interest.

Kaneka is a legit great company so I'm not saying it in a bad way; they're a business and they're in business to make more, so more power to them. I just wanted to point out that the study wasn't or doesn't appear to be some just random study like some of the articles have made it out to be.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If I had to guess, and its only a guess, but I would say that this is going to turn out to be an okay ingredient but would be more of a supporting role ingredient, like something that would be a great addition to an already good formula but likely wouldn't be the best candidate the main all-star ingredient of one.
Yeah I would expect this too. Like, yeah increasing satellite cells is a great idea, but when being young and working out also gives you more, how much more can you get from this? It’s anyone’s guess at this point.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I had to laugh at the conflict of interest part - but I guess if they're being technical, maybe there is no 'conflict' of interest but I'd say that there was definitely an interest.

Kaneka is a legit great company so I'm not saying it in a bad way; they're a business and they're in business to make more, so more power to them. I just wanted to point out that the study wasn't or doesn't appear to be some just random study like some of the articles have made it out to be.
I know this is an old thread, but that’s such a tough topic with dietary supplements. Outside of the big hitters like Creatine, Beta Alanine, Betaine, etc., how many studies on supplements are done that aren’t sponsored by either a supplier or supplement company?

There isn’t inherently anything wrong with a supplier or supplement company finding the study of course, just wish some Billionaire out there would fund a group of researchers to put out original research on popular supplements :)

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I know this is an old thread, but that’s such a tough topic with dietary supplements. Outside of the big hitters like Creatine, Beta Alanine, Betaine, etc., how many studies on supplements are done that aren’t sponsored by either a supplier or supplement company?

There isn’t inherently anything wrong with a supplier or supplement company finding the study of course, just wish some Billionaire out there would fund a group of researchers to put out original research on popular supplements :)
There are a lot of ingredient studies that are done on herbal ingredients and vitamins in general; but when it gets into specific percentages or extracts, those are normally funded by the companies - and there is nothing wrong with that.

The only reason that I brought it up this case what that they originally reported that there were no conflicts of interest; which that has now been changed in most places you look it up. There's nothing at all wrong with them funding a study, it just seemed like at first they weren't being fully transparent about it - which even seemed to confuse some people that did the initial reporting on the ingredient bc a lot of industry people covering it were acting like it was fair game for companies to offer and it wasn't.

But Kaneka is a reputable company and it was most likely an honest oversight; I don't think they did so intentionally because overall, they don't care about the bodybuilding market to begin with. Their interest with this seems to be related to the aging population and muscle loss.

Dick-Hertz

Dick-Hertz

Awards
"Lemon Myrtle" Bwah ha ha ha ha (more useless than "Turk") :rolleyes:

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
No one has made any outrageous claims. Its called a discussion lol. We can't all be sauced to the gills "bro"
Yeah, the only people I've even seen make any bodybuilding claims at all on this are a couple of the video blog type sites and they were doing their thing which is hyping stuff to try to get hits and views.

The company with the patents on it that funded the studies haven't even brought up any bodybuilding application for it that I've seen; their research on it seems to be based on retaining muscle tissue as people age, which makes sense since the main thing that they're known for are their CoQ10 products.

I love anti-aging and longevity supplement concepts and also general health and condition specific supplement discussions; it sucks because I feel like there is truly no place to discuss things like that anymore objectively and just have friendly educational discussion on them.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
it sucks because I feel like there is truly no place to discuss things like that anymore objectively and just have friendly educational discussion on them.
Sadly, today people rarely tolerate any position other than their own. It used to be that people would discuss beliefs, theories and alternatives with the understanding that sometimes we will not see things the same way -- and you just have to agree to disagree - and do so in a way that maintains the integrity and value of the relationship (which was deemed to be of greater value than either person's belief).

No longer. Now - if you disagree, then you are a/an (insert string of pejorative terms, motive assignments and character assassination).

It is a sad block to communication and relationships.

Last edited:
aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Yeah, the only people I've even seen make any bodybuilding claims at all on this are a couple of the video blog type sites and they were doing their thing which is hyping stuff to try to get hits and views.

The company with the patents on it that funded the studies haven't even brought up any bodybuilding application for it that I've seen; their research on it seems to be based on retaining muscle tissue as people age, which makes sense since the main thing that they're known for are their CoQ10 products.

I love anti-aging and longevity supplement concepts and also general health and condition specific supplement discussions; it sucks because I feel like there is truly no place to discuss things like that anymore objectively and just have friendly educational discussion on them.
Yeah, big difference between a healthy individual and sarcopenia. And like you said, Kaneka is primarily in the CoQ10 business. Just learned today they also do a bit in the probiotic world

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Sadly, today people rarely tolerate any position other than their own. It used to be that people would discuss beliefs, theories and alternatives with the understanding that sometimes we will not see things the same way -- and you just have to agree to disagree - and do so that maintains the integrity and value of the relationship (which was deemed to be of greater value than either person's belief).

No longer. Now - if you disagree, then you are a/an (insert string of pejorative terms, motive assignments and character assassination).

It is a sad block to communication and relationships.
I agree. It's sad that that is the way that society has gotten overall now days.

I enjoy supplements and discussing them, not just bodybuilding supplements but ones that can help with various health aspects and improve quality of life. Like in this case, I don't know that Lemon Myrtle has any practical application with bodybuilders, but that doesn't mean that it may not be useful for helping elderly people hold onto muscle as they age; and for those of us that have parents and grandparents that that may apply to, it could be very useful information.