Leaving tips for tattoos

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hey everyone, come August I'll be going in for my first session of getting sleeves done. Both the tattoo artist and I will be putting in lots of time, along with this costing me a pretty penny.

Curious on what everyone feels is an acceptable amount of money to tip your tattoo artist?

Does it depend on their hourly rate, or how much they charge by the individual piece?

So far I have 4 sessions booked, do I tip after each session or at the end of all 4?

Much thanks!

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
you should tip and i have tipped based on price. if your price is 500 i go with 20%, 25 after each session. Dont tip prior or upfront. if something happens that you have to change times or they get jammed up and its a month later, they could forget you gave them a tip and then you get into the Seinfeld thing- When George threw the money in the tip jar but the guy didnt see it.

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
you should tip and i have tipped based on price. if your price is 500 i go with 20%, 25 after each session. Dont tip prior or upfront. if something happens that you have to change times or they get jammed up and its a month later, they could forget you gave them a tip and then you get into the Seinfeld thing- When George threw the money in the tip jar but the guy didnt see it.
Thanks my man. I had a chest piece done years ago and tipped waaaaay too much haha. Don't want to make that mistake again, 20-25% sounds logical. Appreciate it!

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
I had the luck of winning a free tattoo session valued at $500 so I just gave the dude $75 cash for his trouble. I guess that's 15%.

He has told me previous winners haven't given him **** though which would suck after hours of his work for free.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
I had the luck of winning a free tattoo session valued at $500 so I just gave the dude $75 cash for his trouble. I guess that's 15%.

He has told me previous winners haven't given him **** though which would suck after hours of his work for free.
what did you get

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
A bull with wings, symbol for Saint Luke, in memory of my grandfather Luke.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm heading in Monday for a 5 hour shading session on a massive outline that extends from my leg to my armpit, completely covering my ribs and wraps around my back. Wish me luck lol :D

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
I'm heading in Monday for a 5 hour shading session on a massive outline that extends from my leg to my armpit, completely covering my ribs and wraps around my back. Wish me luck lol :D
Never commit a crime again, that'll be a helluva distinguishing feature lol

Joedoubledose

Joedoubledose

Awards
I've only tipped my tattoo artist once and it was $80 on a $300 tattoo

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I tip about $60 per session, on multisession pieces. Each one of my sessions for example lately have been $750. I think that's fair. His rate is $250/hr

Joedoubledose

Joedoubledose

Awards
I tip about $60 per session, on multisession pieces. Each one of my sessions for example lately have been $750. I think that's fair. His rate is $250/hr
$250 an hour damn , homie better be damn good . Does he specialize in anything specific ?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I for the first time didn't leave a tip for a tattoo. I always waited till after a tattoo was done, and paid for the tattoo. Then part of how i'd base the tattoo was what they charged vs what the tattoo was worth.

WP_20160617_10_12_16_RichSmall.jpg

Got this one in Puerto rico last week. Just adding the 3 little coquis - a type of frog, this is the style of the taino Indians cave drawings. The tattoo above it is something my wife and I had done on our 18th anniversary, so we also got this done together since it was an addon to the above. Anyhow, as you can guess it took all of 5 minutes to do each of us, even adding some time for "design" (we had it pre-printed) etc. couldn't have been a half hour.

That shop's rates are 80 for a half hour, 125 per hour. When we got up front to pay, they charged us as 2 1/2 hour sessions since there were two people. So no tip on that one

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yup for really short session, no real need to tip.

Mine's taking multiple lonnnng sessions. Here's a few pics of the progress. This guy is definitely worth his rate.

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1466176867.398979.jpg

ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1466176877.023542.jpg

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd tip $25-$40 every session, especially since you have a few.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's helllllllllla!!!!

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's not too bad for top notch ink. I know someone here who charges $900 an hour. Dotwork with 1 needle, start to finish
Dot work is painful as ****! I have one artist and he hooks me up every time. Been going to him for 16 years. :)

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You need to go see mike at kings ave ....
Does he do blackwork and/or dotwork? I'll look into him. I have really picky tastes. My absolute favorite tattoo artist is Alexander Grim (Russia) as well as Ien Levin (Ukraine)

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
Joedoubledose

Joedoubledose

Awards
Does he do blackwork and/or dotwork? I'll look into him. I have really picky tastes. My absolute favorite tattoo artist is Alexander Grim (Russia) as well as Ien Levin (Ukraine)
He specializes in irezumi ( traditional Japanese tattoos) however his style is more new school with bright colors that contest and pop really nicely .

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
He specializes in irezumi ( traditional Japanese tattoos) however his style is more new school with bright colors that contest and pop really nicely .
thats good. color can hide anything, so if you have a good artist that makes it pop vs looking like its covering up a crime scene your golden

Joedoubledose

Joedoubledose

Awards
thats good. color can hide anything, so if you have a good artist that makes it pop vs looking like its covering up a crime scene your golden
I'd kill to have some extra cash to get tattooed by him . He's probably booked out 3 to 4 months ahead of time too

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ahh cool yeah I like that style, but I only plan on having blackwork done. I love the sun too much for color (fades more over time in the sun), and blackwork just looks so sinister.

Dirty Dan

Dirty Dan

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
A little update on my sleeve

Sorry my face makes babies cry

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im digging it Dirty Dan! Ive just got one part left on my sleeve and then its moving on over to the left chest. Sorry.. only picture I have of it right now, but you get the idea. Entire Japanese Firefighter theme

EDIT-you got called honey bunch from puccah8808, stupid jealous

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im digging it Dirty Dan! Ive just got one part left on my sleeve and then its moving on over to the left chest. Sorry.. only picture I have of it right now, but you get the idea. Entire Japanese Firefighter theme

EDIT-you got called honey bunch from puccah8808, stupid jealous
You're looking mighty sexy these days, FT!

I just made a tattoo apt for the 7th. I'm scared, it's been almost 2 years since I got inked. My artist was super excited to see me and more excited to do my piece. :D

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You're looking mighty sexy these days, FT!

I just made a tattoo apt for the 7th. I'm scared, it's been almost 2 years since I got inked. My artist was super excited to see me and more excited to do my piece. :D
Thank you puccah8808. Whatcha getting done?

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
smith_69

smith_69

Awards
look good bro

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice heavy ink. Props on doing that. I can't wait to get inked again

rocco1221

Awards
I try to tip at least $25 per session. Most artists I know who work for or at a shop split it 50/50 or close to it...the lesser percent goes to the house. My guy charged me $150hr with 3hr minimum bookings. I have a full left Japanese chest plate going into a full, but not completed, left sleeve. I've got about $2he's invested and always gave him what I could basically afford each session. This guy owns more Harleys and a few houses than anyone else I know so I'm pretty sure the tips go for lunch or coffee lol...not much more.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice!! Not to sound TOO weird, but would like to see it when you get it done. Ill post a better picture of mine here in a bit for you. Still have a little to do.
I'm here and he's drawing it up. I will post when I'm done. :)

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Here's my first session. I sat for 6 hours but was not able to finish it. It's so painful!

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice and haha. Funny how it's different for everyone. Both my quads didn't hurt as much as my side calf. What shop is that?

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here's my first session. I sat for 6 hours but was not able to finish it. It's so painful!

puccah8808 Im diggin it. Looks like solid work. And I dont care who you are..6 hours gets old. You did good. I have a ridiculously high tolerance for pain and 7.5 is the longest Ive sat at once. Still need to get you a picture of my sleeve. Ill do it when I get back to the station.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
puccah8808 here it is. My arm doesn't haven't the same aww factor your leg does...but,it is what it is.

The samurai with the maltese cross is my favorite part. But still figuring out what Im gonna do with the inside of my bicep into my chest.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice and haha. Funny how it's different for everyone. Both my quads didn't hurt as much as my side calf. What shop is that?
Thank you! It hurt the most on top and I wanted to die! :) It's called Cloud 9 tattoo in Sacramento. I've been going to to same artist for 17 years. I mean, this big ass piece was only $300. :)

puccah8808 Im diggin it. Looks like solid work. And I dont care who you are..6 hours gets old. You did good. I have a ridiculously high tolerance for pain and 7.5 is the longest Ive sat at once. Still need to get you a picture of my sleeve. Ill do it when I get back to the station.
Thank you! 7.5 is a lot! My body went into shock and I literally caught the flu that same night. :(

Looks amazing on you Puccah!
Thank you! :) I can't wait to complete it.

puccah8808 here it is. My arm doesn't haven't the same aww factor your leg does...but,it is what it is.

The samurai with the maltese cross is my favorite part. But still figuring out what Im gonna do with the inside of my bicep into my chest.
Yours look amazing! Plus, you're looking really good these days! :) Your awww factor is up there. :)

Sometimes I regret destroying my skin but then I just Google sexy people with tattoos and I feel better.

FireTitan

FireTitan

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thank you! It hurt the most on top and I wanted to die! :) It's called Cloud 9 tattoo in Sacramento. I've been going to to same artist for 17 years. I mean, this big ass piece was only $300. :)

Thank you! 7.5 is a lot! My body went into shock and I literally caught the flu that same night. :(

Thank you! :) I can't wait to complete it.

Yours look amazing! Plus, you're looking really good these days! :) Your awww factor is up there. :)

Sometimes I regret destroying my skin but then I just Google sexy people with tattoos and I feel better.
Thank you. And everyone has tats these days. The town I work for started talking about me covering my arms up when on duty so I didn't offend anyone...first call of the day that day was a 92 year old WW2 Navy Vet with tats all over his arms. And again..thanks, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy coming from the likes of you.