I'm sure the fact that I've mainly been in a cut for 3 year doesn't help things

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm sure the fact that I've mainly been in a cut for 3 year doesn't help things
Absolutely not. That's how it was for me too during my playing days. Now i have a gut. I hate cutting

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Big bench or Abs atm moment I've never had Abs in my life and it's something I really want. So I guess I'll continue to struggle for at least 11 more weeks

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Big bench or Abs atm moment I've never had Abs in my life and it's something I really want. So I guess I'll continue to struggle for at least 11 more weeks
Abs are so hard for me to get. Stupid. I hate how hard i have to work and how strict i have to diet to have them.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'd personally have a light/heavy layout for the peak. For the bench and pull, then squats some light weights after pulls.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man. Some serious name dropping going on in here. I know I'm a Cubs fan, but don't forget about big Frank T. That man had some pop. I'm with you though, Herder, Sheffield was the man. I used to emulate his batting stance all the time in bp...most of the time it was a pop up to left field vs a 400+ foot bomb though lol.
I was just talking about The Big Hurt the other day! Hit for power and for average.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was just talking about The Big Hurt the other day! Hit for power and for average.
Yep. Thats what it's all about. Thats why Pujols was the man a few years back. Line drive hitter that had plenty of pop to get one elevated and send it for a ride.

First Bucs / Cubs matchup of the year tonight!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I hate deloads. I feel like i didnt even do anything.

5/2/16 W8D1 deload

-Deads (+2" blocks)
135x5
225x5
315x5
380x3x3

-BP (warm up to 80%x1 then drop to 225x3x3)
45x-
95x5
135x5
185x5
225x1
255x1
285x1x2
Didn't like the first one so i did it again.
225x3x3

-NG seated cable low rows
120x5
150x5
170x5x3

Bat hangs: ~5-7m
Hip self mfr w/ sball: ~3-5m per leg
Super D banded piriformis stretch: alternate 2m per leg for 2 sets
Banded psoas stretch

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hear ya. I'd rather sleep in than go in and do nothing. :(

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I hear ya. I'd rather sleep in than go in and do nothing. :(
Yah, it's gonna be tough for me to make myself go in in the mornings on wed and Friday. I got the day off today so i just went in this afternoon...it makes it a lot easier when it's either work around the apartment or go to the gym lol.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yep. Thats what it's all about. Thats why Pujols was the man a few years back. Line drive hitter that had plenty of pop to get one elevated and send it for a ride.

First Bucs / Cubs matchup of the year tonight!
I hate that guy.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I love deloads. A mental break from training and a chance to heal up. I'm usually super beat up by the time I hit the deload anyways.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Just cause it's scheduled doesn't mean u have to take one if I do its normally just for a session just my thoughts

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I love deloads. A mental break from training and a chance to heal up. I'm usually super beat up by the time I hit the deload anyways.
Just cause it's scheduled doesn't mean u have to take one if I do its normally just for a session just my thoughts
I do enjoy the mental part. Can kinda just go in and do whatever you feel like (within reason - still keeping it a deload). I like to test stuff out during the deload too.

And ya, i was thinking about skipping it but decided i should just suck it up and do it to try and recover from any physical wear and tear before training ramps up these last few weeks.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was wondering about this. Does it HAVE to be a whole week? If you've had a couple days off and take it easy another session or two that should suffice as long as your body says so, correct?

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Got to do what works for u If u feel beat one day deload that day. I don't believe it's set in stone that I has to be a week/ all your session for the week

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was wondering about this. Does it HAVE to be a whole week? If you've had a couple days off and take it easy another session or two that should suffice as long as your body says so, correct?
If you actually pushed your mrv for a block and overreached a good deal by the end then a week is how long it usually takes to help dissipate some of that fatigue to repeat the cycle. If you feel good after a day or always feel good you are either under or at your mrv. Most likely under for most people. So either train harder and train for longer blocks to hit that overreach. Wendler pushed 531 to 6 weeks before the deload bc his program is so low volume most won't hit mrv in 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using AnabolicMinds mobile app

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
^^^that. This block i have been much closer to (maybe even under some weeks) my mrv, which is why i feel better than i usually after 8 weeks of full body training (i felt like death for a few weeks during PM). But, i still want to allow the soft tissues to heal up a bit before training intensity ramps up again. I believe i read that loads have to be kept <80% or lower to allow for tendon/ligaments to heal up / lower inflammation.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
If you actually pushed your mrv for a block and overreached a good deal by the end then a week is how long it usually takes to help dissipate some of that fatigue to repeat the cycle. If you feel good after a day or always feel good you are either under or at your mrv. Most likely under for most people. So either train harder and train for longer blocks to hit that overreach. Wendler pushed 531 to 6 weeks before the deload bc his program is so low volume most won't hit mrv in 3 weeks.

I dont wanna sound like a dummy here or anything but what does mrv stand for

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I dont wanna sound like a dummy here or anything but what does mrv stand for
Maximum recoverable volume - defined by cws: "the most training that an athlete can effectively recover from. This can vary widely from lifter to lifter or for the same lifter at different times. Genetics, particularly muscle fiber type, will play a big role in MRV and somewhat counterintuitively, the faster twitch athletes who are better suited for lifting, will tend to have lower MRVs because they will be able to cause more homeostatic disruption with a smaller amount of work."

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Maximum recoverable volume - defined by cws: "the most training that an athlete can effectively recover from. This can vary widely from lifter to lifter or for the same lifter at different times. Genetics, particularly muscle fiber type, will play a big role in MRV and somewhat counterintuitively, the faster twitch athletes who are better suited for lifting, will tend to have lower MRVs because they will be able to cause more homeostatic disruption with a smaller amount of work."
Ah ok. Thank you.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
My question is where did this week number come from? were there study s or just an arbitrary number

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My question is where did this week number come from? were there study s or just an arbitrary number
I dont know the exact reasoning behind it, but my general guess would be that 1 week is both a time frame that allows fatigue reduction/soft tissue recovery and is also a convenient way to go about it. Maybe 5 days is enough, but then its like why not just take the 2 extra days and resume training per usual the following week.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not set in stone. Depends on lifters class really. Bigger stronger lifters need more time or more drastic deloads then smaller weaker lifters ect.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not set in stone. Depends on lifters class really. Bigger stronger lifters need more time or more drastic deloads then smaller weaker lifters ect.

There ya go

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
So I recover so quick cause I'm a puss make sense lol

I was just curious cause there were plenty of strong lifters before this epiphany not saying it's wrong I was just wounder about the research

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I was just curious cause there were plenty of strong lifters before this epiphany not saying it's wrong I was just wounder about the research
I think you're the only one here thinking you're a puss lol.

But, in all reality, you probably don't recover as fast as you think you do. Feeling recovered and actually being recovered are two totally separate things. I can pretty much guarantee that you dont recover from weeks of training at those volumes within a 1 session deload.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Dmax you're running a basic 4 day upper/lower split. Not sure where you're getting that you recover quickly. Try a 5-6 day approach and get back to us. But either way, it doesn't matter. Recovery capabilities have nothing to do with whether you are a "pûssy" or not.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Lifters have been deloading for decades man.

They just didn't call it that back then.

Super D has talked about how they used to just call it "taking it easy" for a week when they were feeling beat up. It isn't a "new" concept, it's just been named in recent years.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Ok first off it was a joke just being silly

Second if I didn't have a wife and kids I would train every day

Third damn I was just trying to get a conversation going whether it was actually optimal to take a week off

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ok first off it was a joke just being silly

Second if I didn't have a wife and kids I would train every day

Third damn I was just trying to get a conversation going whether it was actually optimal to take a week off
I would say it is optimal, IF you set your training up to intentionally overreach beyond your mrv over an indicated period of time. If you float at or under mrv then no reason. I think west side is laid out perfect to never deload as you never do enough volume to really need it. I never deloaded when running that for a few years. Now that I push and track volume and workloads I push past my mrv.

Also some of us build fatigue slowly and get rid of it fast probably u, or people build it fast and get rid of it slow, like me lol.

But fiber type also plays a role.

And your max effort days keep your weekly volume much lower then you probably think it is.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Nothing in my post was a personal attack FYI. That why I said it doesn't matter. Recovery capabilities aren't a bragging point. They just are what they are. I was just genuinely curious where you're getting the notion that you recover quickly.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nothing in my post was a personal attack FYI.
Same here, Dmax. Just saying weeks worth of pushing past your mrv doesn't dissipate within 1 deload session...unless you have a ridiculous recovery capability...then I'm jealous.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
And damn it Lou, now i feel like I shouldn't of done this deload. I don't think my MRV was getting pushed too hard this training cycle. Oh well, hopefully there was enough of a stimulus there to get some strength adaptation.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Nothing in my post was a personal attack FYI. That why I said it doesn't matter. Recovery capabilities aren't a bragging point. They just are what they are. I was just genuinely curious where you're getting the notion that you recover quickly.
You want to fight let's fight kid (throw my phone down)lol jk

The only time I can really say I felt beat up was while I was doing my gear work. Even when I was doing my 6 sets of 6 with Amraps I never really felt too bad. I empizises recovery thou make sure I get proper rest normally 8hrs, good food and hydration. I genuinely feel that the intra helps with this as well

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
And damn it Lou, now i feel like I shouldn't of done this deload. I don't think my MRV was getting pushed too hard this training cycle. Oh well, hopefully there was enough of a stimulus there to get some strength adaptation.
I'd rather be more recovered then not enough going into a peaking block, I'm never recovered enough so that must be nice lol.

Again I'm offering to help if you want it bud.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Good info. I felt beat up last time I approached my singles week and kinda forced it this time just because of that. I also am not pushing myself as hard because the low energy from fewer carbs.
Maybe I do need it ever 6 instead of 4.

Makes sense. I'm weak so I can train on. lol

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You want to fight let's fight kid (throw my phone down)lol jk

The only time I can really say I felt beat up was while I was doing my gear work. Even when I was doing my 6 sets of 6 with Amraps I never really felt too bad. I empizises recovery thou make sure I get proper rest normally 8hrs, good food and hydration. I genuinely feel that the intra helps with this as well
You've built a great base the last year or so I've been a part of your log. Your mrv could be very high, but I'd like to see you do some dedicated blocks. Not only would this help target your efforts but you'd also sensitize yourself to volume again. You are always in a hybrid hyper phase and so I'd curious to see you go from from a few dedicated strength blocks to a peaking and back to hyper. You would lose some fitness but peak your strength which is all apart of the process.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good info. I felt beat up last time I approached my singles week and kinda forced it this time just because of that. I also am not pushing myself as hard because the low energy from fewer carbs.
Maybe I do need it ever 6 instead of 4.

Makes sense. I'm weak so I can train on. lol

Wrong. Your mrv varies. This is why wendler allows you to pick to deload at the 4th week or start a new cycle. At that point in time you mrv my be higher then it was the last block. Also heavy weights produce more fatigue at lower volumes.

Not weak so stop.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Look what I started lol

And your right Lou sorta doing that now with squat
And squat is your best moving lift, may be some connection here bud!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
5/4/16 w8d2 deload

Warmup:
Hip circle walk
Facepull 2x12
Pallofs 10on/5offx3 x 2 sets

-COMP DEADS (+2" blocks")
135x5
225x5
315x5
380x3x3

-COMP BP
45x-
95x-
135x5
185x5
225x3x3

-GHR (elevated foot pad)
Bwx3x10
Arms outstretched overhead for sets 2&3

-SA cable row
100x10@5-6
130x6x3@6-7

Had to head out to get ready for work. Gonna make an effort to go in for mobility/prehab stuff before work tomorrow but if it doesn't happen i'll have time friday and saturday.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Best thing about deloads is that by the end of the week you're antsy to get back into the gym and lift heavy ****. Thats where I'm at currently. I'm starting to get excited to compete...less than a month out now.

Which, btw, I sent Lou a VERY rough draft of my attempt at constructing a peak and he sent it back fully constructed with a solid plan. Its something i have confidence will not only prepare me but test my testicular fortitude...so, thanks to him, i have a solid plan in place headed in.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Best thing about deloads is that by the end of the week you're antsy to get back into the gym and lift heavy ****. Thats where I'm at currently. I'm starting to get excited to compete...less than a month out now.

Which, btw, I sent Lou a VERY rough draft of my attempt at constructing a peak and he sent it back fully constructed with a solid plan. Its something i have confidence will not only prepare me but test my testicular fortitude...so, thanks to him, i have a solid plan in place headed in.
Np bud, happy to help where I can. It tough but you will few very confident come meet day.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Went in and did the same main lifts as i have the other 2 days this week. I dont feel like formatting it all out so: I worked up to 225x3x3 on bench, groove felt good. One of my early warmup sets today (i think it was the 95x-) i really had the pull the bar apart going and it felt great, its almost like doing a reverse fly on the concentric. On deads i worked up to 380x3x3 off 2 inch blocks and the weights were moving the best they have all deload, good sign there. Didnt do any accessory stuff, instead i worked a little brazilian jiu jitsu for about 25 mins. Gonna do about 90 mins worth tomorrow. Btw, my mobility is **** lol it was brutal. After this meet i'll be doing that once a week to start, i told him after tomorrow i was holding off til after the comp.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Np bud, happy to help where I can. It tough but you will few very confident come meet day.
Yah if i execute properly during this peak the comp goals i have will be easy lol.

His advice helped myself as well. You'll kill it dude.
He da man. Sorry to bring this up again, but any news on the squat?

You guys are making me blush
Maybe that's why the Lilliebridge's are purple. They're constantly being complimented on how strong they are.
Lmao, i think its more the blood pressure from the copious amounts of gear and spray tans, but maybe