Jiu-Jitsu lineage (not just Gracie JJ)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have recently starting training with a BB in BJJ and googled his lineage (his name is Ronny Lis). I was surprised to find that his lineage has no affiliation with the Gracies at all, but rather goes back to Maeda, who was the instructor of Carlos Gracie Sr. I found out that his lineage comes from Luis Franca, also and original student of Maeda, and Oswaldo Fadda, Franca's greatest student. They still call themselves BJJ, but they have nothing to do with Gracie JJ.

Further research has led to me find that this line has had a strong influence on the Nova Uniao JJ academy, which is one of the strongest and best academies/affiliations in the world. That also explains why there is such bad blood between them and most of the Gracie schools.

Some noted Nova Uniao grapplers/fighters:
BJ Penn
Jose Aldo
Shaolin Ribeiro
Thales Leites
Marcos Galvao
Wagnney Fabiano

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I couldnt trace further than this, everything that comes up is in portugese.

My teacher (also BB) Daniel Tavares Pires aka Manu Brau in Brazil. He has a few good BJJ matches on youtube, including one against Leo Santos (guy that submitted GSP). Before coming to US, Daniel trained under Francisco Carlos Pinto Sa. Francisco has trained Hermes Franca, Jorge Gurgel, Marcos Aurelia.

Daniel is actually on the same team in Brazil, Nova Uniao-Sa.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ronny went to Phil Cardella's (WEC fighter and Relson Gracie BB) school in Austin and worked him pretty badly. The dude's hip movement is just so fluid that it makes me nauseous.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So is there more emphasis on standup due to maedas influence, or did they throw it out like the gracies?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Ronny went to Phil Cardella's (WEC fighter and Relson Gracie BB) school in Austin and worked him pretty badly. The dude's hip movement is just so fluid that it makes me nauseous.
haha what always fascinates me is how fast and smooth they throw a triangle on. black belts always seem like they can armbar you from basically any position, looking away like its nothing :surprised:

vika808

vika808

Awards
  • Established
nova uniao is huge here in hawaii i say they have at least 1-3 schools for every island, they know there way on the mat.

RagingApe

Awards
Mechado is better than Gracie when training for mixed martial arts IMO, thats just from personal experience

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Mechado is better than Gracie when training for mixed martial arts IMO, thats just from personal experience
Never heard of it. Google showed some people with last name Machado who teach, so you are talking about a specific person? I think most people who teach in US are not affiliated with Gracie.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Never heard of it. Google showed some people with last name Machado who teach, so you are talking about a specific person? I think most people who teach in US are not affiliated with Gracie.
he's probally talking about the Machado brothers another HUGE BJJ family they taught Chuck Norris. Eddie Bravo and I think Rico.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are a lot more Gracie affiliates/disciples than you think. For example, the Gracie Barra tree is huge. That being said, very few elite grappling camps are prepped towards MMA. Most of the top-tier grapplers that transition to MMA often go to MMA schools (e.g. Jacare at XC, Marcelo at ATT).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
-MVP- Weight Loss 16
35 and Older 1
MMA 19
General Chat 4
General Chat 10