Jim's Training to Become a Human Tank!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's very iffy. It does like he hitches the weight up.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
"Gettin' [hitchy] wit it":

[video=youtube;3JcmQONgXJM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JcmQONgXJM[/video]

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is a buddies DL, he competes Strongman but wondered if it would count in a PL meet, it's the heaviest he's gone beltless and strapless.

I told him that I didn't think it would, but I'm not 100%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk2y0zhlsM4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yay or nay?
He hitches somewhere around the 10 second mark. You can see this by the small dip he makes with his hips and the knees unbuckle a bit. It's a matter of whether judges would catch that or not. Some feds dont like you riding the bar on the thighs that low on the thighs, so it probably would get redlighted there. If it's not caught it'd pass in SPF for sure. I touched the bar low on my thighs and they didn't seem to care.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm feeling pretty sore/stiff today. Rolled out at the gym and did some mobility stuff before the short workout I did today.

It wasn't anything ridiculous, just getting some movement as an active recovery measure.

Tire Flip: 550 x 20M in 50.86 seconds.

This wasn't 20 straight either, it was 10 with a turnaround to come back in as short a time as possible.

Tire Pushes: 550 x F

This is when you have one person stand on one side of the tire and another on the other side and they push it towards each other, first to bail loses. It went for maybe 70 seconds or so, although I wasn't timing it.

I'm feeling alright now, still a few sore spots, but nothing excessive.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Can you leverage on the tire push? Boy would I get my ass handed to me on that one, regardless. Tough with the right partner.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Can you leverage on the tire push? Boy would I get my ass handed to me on that one, regardless. Tough with the right partner.
They don't push at the same time (if thats what you thought), one pushes, the other catches and pushes back.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
They don't push at the same time (if thats what you thought), one pushes, the other catches and pushes back.
Ah flip and other catches it and back. That sounds like a puker to me. Even if you beat me, I sill may get to puke on you.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm watching...

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In for log pressing...

:tappingfoot:

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Went in to do Rep OHP work today with the log. Used a different log than I typically use and the weight was a little off center with it, so that threw me off. The last set I used the heavier metal log, it is wider in diameter and was a little bit different. I need to work on keeping the log to my chest when I clean it, at this point it isn't an issue because I can still clean a good deal more than I can press with a log, but eventually it will become an issue.

Pre: Enhanced, Prime, Anabeta, Endosurge Turbo
Intra: Amino IV

Warmup: Band work, work to 130 x 8 log press

Log Press (clean first rep): 150 x 6--2, 150 x 8, 160 x 6

Lost balance on the 7th rep of the first set (new log issues), stepped back and caught my breath and finished the set. The second set was cake, and then I switched to the metal log which went up smooth and easy. Very quick off the chest to lockout at that weight, the issue came with trying to stabilize it towards the end of the set, I dropped it because I almost passed out again with the buildup of IAP. Which will be something else I need to address; breathing properly during my log presses.

1 Arm DB OHP: 50 x 5, 65 x 1--50 x 4, 65 x 2--50 x 3, 65 x 1--50 x 4, 65 x 1 -- 50 x 7

My gym doesn't have any DBs between 50 and 65. So, I went and did as many reps with the 65 as I could with my weak arm, matched it with the strong arm and then finished each necessary rep with the 50s, which were sufficiently hard after taking the 65 to the limit.

a1. DB Bench: 65 x 10, 75 x 10, 85 x 2--75 x 3--65 x 5
a2. Tricep Pushdown: Purple Band x 20, x 30, x 25
a3. Inc. DB Fly: 40 x 12, 40 x 9, 35 x 12

Triceps were done after the second run through, chest was giving out to. It was one hell of a set dropping immediately from weight to weight to hit the desired reps. Every individual set of the tricep pushdowns were done a little differently to hit the triceps in a few different ways, each set done to failure.

b1. Dead Stop DB Row: 75 x 12 x 2, 85 x 12
b2. Standing Rear Delt Fly: 15 x 20 x 3

Almost every set of the Rear Delt Flyes involved some sort of pause and then re starting to finish the set. The highest I got to without stopping was 17, the lowest was 10.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Went down to the Metroflex Houston to get an idea of how a few of the events are going to be done for the competition on January 25. Worked with the squat lift setup (not a full squat at all, more of a rack lockout). Went up to 725 with just my belt, opening weight is going to be 500 for all weight classes so we'll see how the even goes and who shows up on that day. Overall it isn't as bad as I thought it might be.

The fire hydrant press is going to be a bitch. The weight for the medley is 200 Log, 100 Circus Dumbbell, and 185 Hydrant. The log and the dumbbell should be cake, the hydrant isn't a bad press, but the clean is all kinds of awkward. I'm gonna try to go a couple more times before then to get a better feel for it so that I have a pretty good shot in January with it. Worst case scenario involves doing the first two fast as hell and trying to beat people based on faster times (assuming not many press the hydrant).

I'll go to the gym tomorrow and get the DE Squatting that I typically do today and some extra back work because I won't be doing a body day this Saturday and will instead do Chest/Shoulders with Montego and Kleen on Sunday.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And I had some major bicep tendinitis pain from the squatting. It hurt most of the rest of the day, it's more than likely a mobility issue in the shoulders (based upon my elbows being a little behind me at the meet)

Might need to widen my grip on the bar some while I work out that mobility issue for squats.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Work that internal rotation and then work your way down the arm brother

Awesome work man. This event will be hard as ****

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Any specific stuff you recommend?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U4d7fsz3g7s

The band stuff in this video along with the stuff from superDTV.

I mash the chest and and all of the arm. I skip the crevice between the shoulder and chest as well as the ulnar nerve are of the elbow as its not really muscle.

Those two things helped me a lot before the comp. There is a lot of other things out there but the quick band series from these two helped the most...I just added other stuff here and there.

I also moved my squat grip out like an inch or so and don't wrap my thumbs now.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U4d7fsz3g7s

The band stuff in this video along with the stuff from superDTV.

I mash the chest and and all of the arm. I skip the crevice between the shoulder and chest as well as the ulnar nerve are of the elbow as its not really muscle.

Those two things helped me a lot before the comp. There is a lot of other things out there but the quick band series from these two helped the most...I just added other stuff here and there.

I also moved my squat grip out like an inch or so and don't wrap my thumbs now.
I actually did that first band pull today when I got back to the usual gym.

I shall try the rest tomorrow.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also, pretty damn sore today.

Tris, Chest, Lats, and Mid Back.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Indeed.

It also makes you feel like a little girl when you go to do a regular squat workout at full depth and can only do 1/2 the weight. Now, I finally understand why people do half squats.
Imagine doing half squats all the time. You'd need to post up the chiropractor in your house.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Jimbo, pm me your email addy. I've got a 70 rep band warmup for the shoulders I got from EFS...

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is what's happening in my old unit right now:

ForumRunner_20131220_123612.png

LOLOLOLOL.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yep, by the same guy that did the hip series I posted the other day.
I know that one. I don't have light enough bands for the elbow raised one's, but do the others 3-4x a week.

:thumbsup:

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm thinking I might do a quick back + bis today, hit legs tomorrow (mostly assistance depending on how I feel) and then the chest and shoulders with monte and kleen on Sunday.

Then it goes back to the usual with deadlift on Monday.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bicep is killing me, not as bad as yesterday but still bad.

I did the internal rotation test that Rob posted and was able to get all the way to 10 degrees with someone holding my shoulders in place.

I will probably do it again and get a video of it to see for myself and post up here.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yesterday's lazy ass workout lol.

Underhand Yates Row : 135 x 8, 185 x 8, 135 x 12

Con. Curls: 20x 8, 25 x 8, 30 x 8

These hurt a little bit.

a1. NG Machine Row: 100 x 15 x 3
a2. Facepull: Black x 15 x 3

Hammer Curl: nada, started to but these were not comfortable.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Today:

Yoke Walk: 375 x 200', 500 x 60'

Knee buckled under me, it was not even a little comfortable. Weight wasn't bad, and I was moving well until that happened.

Then, 510 x 75' or so, I walked it back into the gym and to where it goes.

GHR : BW x 10 x 3

That was all. A little bit of bicep pain today with the yoke, did the internal rotation test again and got all the way down, so I don't think thats it. I'll do some reading today and try to figure it out. Knee is throbbing now from yoke walking issues. I think I might use the wraps for that to prevent it from buckling again.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today:

Yoke Walk: 375 x 200', 500 x 60'

Knee buckled under me, it was not even a little comfortable. Weight wasn't bad, and I was moving well until that happened.
This is one thing I always watch at work when moving furniture backwards upstairs etc. and always made me careful of the WSM stuff.
It is one thing to move a heavy weight from a dormant position aka squat or deadlift, but adding mobility and moving the joint ie: walking, with heavy weight, can be a bit more risky IMO and thus take more time with medium weights, even if one can handle the heavier loads, so one can acclimate to the feel and strengthen the tendons and ligs some.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is one thing I always watch at work when moving furniture backwards upstairs etc. and always made me careful of the WSM stuff.
It is one thing to move a heavy weight from a dormant position aka squat or deadlift, but adding mobility and moving the joint ie: walking, with heavy weight, can be a bit more risky IMO and thus take more time with medium weights, even if one can handle the heavier loads, so one can acclimate to the feel and strengthen the tendons and ligs some.
I have an issue with that happening, even without weight, and I'm unsure as to why. There were a couple of times today that just standing up from a seated position caused a sharp pain in the left knee (the worse of the two).

On that note, today's workout was a good one. Lots of volume, lots of pump, lots of learning.

Most of that learning came during the destroyer set at the end lol, the first 60 were awful while I tried to figure out how to set up on the bench without crushing my diaphragm. A few notes:

1. Montego1 and MrKleen73 are freaks.
2. My muscular endurance is garbage and needs to be better.
3. I learned all kinds of new ways to hit the pecs, and that I have been doing rear delt work incorrectly and letting my traps take over the movements.
4. Decreasing my rest times will help build character and muscle, so I'll definitely be taking some MD principles and applying them to my assistance work.
5. I WILL be doing this again, soon. Maybe back next time :thumbsup:

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have an issue with that happening, even without weight, and I'm unsure as to why. There were a couple of times today that just standing up from a seated position caused a sharp pain in the left knee (the worse of the two)
2 cents...
This may have nothing to do with it or help, but I will share anyway.
When I would have this (almost tension or pulling, for lack of a better word) in my knee, I did the trigger points in the quads especially, but also the hams with a bodo (some quite painful around the knees) and it seemed like my knees tracked better afterwards. Like the muscles were not pulling or tensing in wrong directions and thus my knee seemed more evenly set.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
2 cents...
This may have nothing to do with it or help, but I will share anyway.
When I would have this (almost tension or pulling, for lack of a better word) in my knee, I did the trigger points in the quads especially, but also the hams with a bodo (some quite painful around the knees) and it seemed like my knees tracked better afterwards. Like the muscles were not pulling or tensing in wrong directions and thus my knee seemed more evenly set.
I'll start doing that I think. I did it while I was in the army and it seemed to help, I don't really know why I stopped.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Car DL setup: 135 x 8, 185 x 8 x 2 (per bar)

These are rough, this is my first time having a Car DL in competition so I thought I should practice it today. It's more akin to a hack squat than a DL, so it really kills the quads. I have video of this that I will upload (just the 135) so you guys can see the setup, but basically, two bars set into a rack like a landmine press would be, locked in place so that they don't move outwards or inwards during the reps (we used a handled attachment that we had handy), load the plates up on the side you'll be standing on, grab the business end of the bar (using wrist straps, which are allowed in competition as well), and then pick it up.

GHR: BW x 10 x 4

a1. NG Pull-up: BW x 8 x 3
a2. Rear Delt Pullaparts: Red Band x 20 x 3

Palloff Press: Heavy Black x 10 x 3 (per side)

Chest is a little sore from yesterday (on the outer and upper parts of the pec), shoulders don't feel any worse for the wear (probably because I do a great deal of shoulder work every week, but minimal chest work), and the rear delts aren't as beat up as I thought (they felt good enough to do some pullaparts today).

PaulBlack, did some trigger point work around the knee today with a LAX Ball and "the stick" and the area around the tight is extremely tender. I'll continue working those two out and see how big of a difference I can make.