Isolating Triceps

SlavicStrong

Awards
Have had problems with tricep strains in the past, and have recently dropped isolation work. My bench has gone up nicely recently, and my triceps are pretty sore after my chest day. My question is as follows; will dropping isolating work for my triceps limit it’s muscle growth? My strength has gone up, and my triceps are just as sore after chest as if I had isolated them. I feel as if I get stronger on the bench, and other chest exercises, my triceps will have to grow, and get stronger in the process. Hit 235 for 5 my last workout, currently eating a lot.

DonutsNDeads

DonutsNDeads

Awards
Have had problems with tricep strains in the past, and have recently dropped isolation work. My bench has gone up nicely recently, and my triceps are pretty sore after my chest day. My question is as follows; will dropping isolating work for my triceps limit it’s muscle growth? My strength has gone up, and my triceps are just as sore after chest as if I had isolated them. I feel as if I get stronger on the bench, and other chest exercises, my triceps will have to grow, and get stronger in the process. Hit 235 for 5 my last workout, currently eating a lot.
Just a question were you going heavy on the isolation Work or doing some hypertrophic rep range to get a pump.

Also how many presses are you doing, with the pressing you’re getting the tricep extension so if you’re getting Enough Work in that way and your accessory work is giving you issues then drop it out for a while and slowly reintroduce them.

It may also be a good idea to do light accessory work with your triceps to get good blood flow in to them and promote healing.

Do you use elbow sleeves or anything like that? And also have you done anything prophylactically to help prevent future injury like graston, massage stretching etc?

Hydration is huge when it comes to muscle strains as well just throwing my two cents into the pot

SlavicStrong

Awards
Just a question were you going heavy on the isolation Work or doing some hypertrophic rep range to get a pump.

Also how many presses are you doing, with the pressing you’re getting the tricep extension so if you’re getting Enough Work in that way and your accessory work is giving you issues then drop it out for a while and slowly reintroduce them.

It may also be a good idea to do light accessory work with your triceps to get good blood flow in to them and promote healing.

Do you use elbow sleeves or anything like that? And also have you done anything prophylactically to help prevent future injury like graston, massage stretching etc?

Hydration is huge when it comes to muscle strains as well just throwing my two cents into the pot
I plan to do a day of heavier lifting, then the next chest day do a lighter day for hypertrophy and the pump for chest. I never went too heavy with the isolation work either. I do not use elbow sleeves, and have not been stretching, but I do drink a lot of liquids throughout the day.

DonutsNDeads

DonutsNDeads

Awards
I plan to do a day of heavier lifting, then the next chest day do a lighter day for hypertrophy and the pump for chest. I never went too heavy with the isolation work either. I do not use elbow sleeves, and have not been stretching, but I do drink a lot of liquids throughout the day. Feel it is worth mentioning I am 17 years old, and been training for about 1.5 years.
So you’re doing 2 bench days a week I would say it’s probably a good idea to get good blood flow through the triceps after you’ve done the workout. Nothing crazy light push downs to promote healing and growth. 15-20 reps get a nice pump I think you’ll see good results from that

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I enjoy doing reverse grip bench on the smith and weighted dips as my tricep workouts.

To answer your question, I know very proportioned people who never train arms.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
What height are you? Or more specifically how long are your levers?

Longer the arm the more youll need isolation work to make them grow

SlavicStrong

Awards
What height are you? Or more specifically how long are your levers?

Longer the arm the more youll need isolation work to make them grow
I’m 5’10, around 205 pounds. I started training about a year and a half ago at 156 pounds. Gained 50 pounds in under a year my first year, stretch marks on arms, shoulders, you name it, crazy transformation.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’m 5’10, around 205 pounds. I started training about a year and a half ago at 156 pounds. Gained 50 pounds in under a year my first year, stretch marks on arms, shoulders, you name it, crazy transformation.
Nice bro, then first year gains are always nice. At 5’10 your probably ok not isolating as they’ll get hit hard through the compounds. 6’2 and over seems to be the broad approx height where levers really start to play a role....

Keep it going bro

croninson1

Awards
Depends on your goals. If you are looking for getting some tricep strength, bench pressing, close grip bench and dips will do the trick.

But if you are more for aesthetics, adding in the isolation work will suffice.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
How would you rate your tricep development in relation to chest and shoulders? See how it goes without the isolation movements. Some guys have huge tri's without ever isolating them just from building a strong bench press and others will need to do extra isolation work to bring them up.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depends on your goals. If you are looking for getting some tricep strength, bench pressing, close grip bench and dips will do the trick.

But if you are more for aesthetics, adding in the isolation work will suffice.
Revere grip bench is good also.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To work on any muscle maximally isolating it is best