Is training each muscle once per week effective ?

ClaudioAnimal

ClaudioAnimal

Awards
Is training each muscle once per week effective for natural bodybuilders?

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
A lot of variables that play into that statement. Just a general answer for the question, yes it can be done and it can be more than enough depending on how you go about it.

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
but training twice instead of once with apropriated muscle recovery it's probably better..
Not necessarily, less is often more. You don't grow in the gym you grow when you eat and follow it with sufficient rest. Don't fall into that hole, that if I train chest 3 times a week it'll grow three times as much.

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Not necessarily, less is often more. You don't grow in the gym you grow when you eat and follow it with sufficient rest. Don't fall into that hole, that if I train chest 3 times a week it'll grow three times as much.
Exactly. That said, for bodybuilders (specially for beginners) a basic workout with Compound movements would be best. It would be best for them to focus on movements and not on muscle groups until they have managed to master the basics, along with proper dieting and rest.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Things such as intensity, frequency, volume, and recovery are all interrelated in a somewhat complex, but not overly so, relationship. Simply stated, each probably has a range where it can be "sufficient," "optimal," and "too much."

Working something once a week? Sure, it's definitely sufficient. Is it optimal? Probably not. But would working it out 3-5 times a week be beneficial? Well, it depends on what muscle group to be frank. Using NY's example, chest, it'd probably be too much. (The catch is that something like the hamstrings and certain back muscle groups can be work very frequently depending on your volume and intensity).

ClaudioAnimal

ClaudioAnimal

Awards
yeah I know that's why I said with apropriated muscle recovery, but still not sure which of them is the best way, well let's consider they're both good ways

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i always change it up. sometimes i do everything twice a week then ill go back to once a week, then 5x5, then DC...etc main point is muscle confusion

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have "basic" requirements each week. - Since I powerlift, everything is dedicated to my Squat, Bench and Deadlift. I have to ask myself what needs the most attention, and through what type of training.

Typically, I use the Wendler 5/3/1 approach, and will vary my accessory work based on what needs accomplished.

When I was a bodybuilder, my best physical improvements were done by hitting each muscle multiple times per week with low volume, albeit heavy weight. - Heavy meaning in the range of 5-7 reps. Honestly, it was an easy workout, but it burned me out FAST. I couldn't do it for an extended period of time (over 8 weeks). Each workout involved a different exercise for the muscle. I would do each muscle 3x/wk. 6 sets in total (2 warmup, 4 working) for each muscle worked.

One muscle per workout, once a week is fine, but it's typically regarded as a beginners protocol.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i always change it up. sometimes i do everything twice a week then ill go back to once a week, then 5x5, then DC...etc main point is muscle confusion
How often do you switch it up? I just got done doing Jim Stoppani's 12 week shortcut to size program. Now I'm going to try my own thing for a bit hitting everything twice a week. Should I do that for 4 weeks or more or less? Whenever I've kinda run my own program I've switched it up about every month.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How often do you switch it up? I just got done doing Jim Stoppani's 12 week shortcut to size program. Now I'm going to try my own thing for a bit hitting everything twice a week. Should I do that for 4 weeks or more or less? Whenever I've kinda run my own program I've switched it up about every month.
I would personally give a program no less than eight weeks, unless it's significantly difficult on your joints and/or recovery.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would personally give a program no less than eight weeks, unless it's significantly difficult on your joints and/or recovery.
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll give 8 weeks a shot. The 12 week program I just got done I saw really impressive gains but they switched up reps every week.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll give 8 weeks a shot. The 12 week program I just got done I saw really impressive gains but they switched up reps every week.
NP.

Believe it or not, I actually had great size gains doing Wendler's 5/3/1 mixed with DC for accessory work. My lifts skyrocketed and my size gains, even on a somewhat meager caloric surplus were pretty exceptional. - Look into those if you never have.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
4-8 weeks depending on the routine. 5x5 kills me mentally so i go no longer than 4 with that

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't disagree with this, but I just want to addend it a little.

I would say 8-12 weeks, given that the stimuli is not the exact same during this time course. 3-4 weeks appears to be the optimal biological window for integrating the training response. With this time course you have the greatest potential to maintain the cumulative effects of training (i.e.: gains in strength, power, hypertrophy, etc.); however, anything beyond 5-6 weeks brings about accommodation and stagnation (cease of gains, a trend toward losing gains, and boredom/loss of motivation). If you look at most successful programs, you'll notice they run in 3 week cycles. Russian block periodization uses 3-4 week blocks of training for specific goals, west side conjugate runs in 3 week cycles using the same exercise for the dynamic work, Wendler's 531 that goes in 3 week cycles, etc.

Br

NLAFounder

NLAFounder

Board Sponsor
Awards
Is training each muscle once per week effective for natural bodybuilders?
If you lift with intensity and really crush the muscle you are lifting that day you can get great results. If you eat properly, you should consider training each muscle group twice a week. I am a huge fan of compound lifts accompanied by support work. I would recommend a split like this for you:

-Chest and Bis
-Back and Tris
-Legs
-rest
-shoulders and tris
-Back and Deadlifts
-Chest and Bis
-rest

How long do you lift for? How many exercises are you usually doing per muscle group?

-Justin M.