is this ok for a bulking diet???

clippers41

Awards
:food: lately i haev been looking in to a bulking diet and here is what i have aten so far today and i am pretty new to this and was wourning if this is ok so can some one help me out i would be glad to take in some new info like healthy bulking food and such....

meal 1- oatmeal+shake
cals-850
protein-61g
carbs-62g

meal 2-1 can of tuna on white break+breaded chicken breast
clas-490
protein-37.5g
carbs-38g

total through 2 meals-1340 cals, 99.5g protein, 100 carbs

precious_roy

Awards
:food: lately i haev been looking in to a bulking diet and here is what i have aten so far today and i am pretty new to this and was wourning if this is ok so can some one help me out i would be glad to take in some new info like healthy bulking food and such....

meal 1- oatmeal+shake
cals-850
protein-61g
carbs-62g

clas-490
protein-37.5g
carbs-38g

Well, thats not much to go on. It depends on a lot of things including what your maintainance caloric intake looks like, etc.

One thing I am wondering: where did you get the nutrition values? For me, a can of tuna (1 cup) is about 35-40g protein alone. But your second meal with a can of tuna and chicken is only 37.5g protein. Check out fitday.com. You can mess around on there with macronutrient ratios and such.

Oh, and skip the white bread and go for whole grain/multi grain.

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established

meal 1- oatmeal+shake
cals-850
protein-61g
carbs-62g

clas-490
protein-37.5g
carbs-38g

Yea we need to know more about you i.e. your height, weight, bf%, training schedule, and goals. FWIW, this is my diet. I'm 5'10" 265 lbs and about 13% bf right now. Basically for me, this is my post cycle therapy diet, if I add cardio I'll lose a little bf, if I drop the carbs and up the cardio, it becomes my precontest diet. I dont know your stats, but I hope this somehow gives you an idea of what a maintenance diet would look like for yourself, and then extrapolate a bulker. For me, my bulking diet just has a little more protein and more slightly more carbs later in the day (but not past 9 PM)

7:30 AM - 60 g whey, 3-4 packets of low sugar instant oatmeal (3 g flax seed oil, 2 caps policosanol, 1 cap Co Q10, 1 serving Animal Pack multiV, 2 sesamin caps)

9:30 - Myoplex original blend

noon - 3 pieces chicken breast, cup brown rice, mixed veggies (3 g flax seed oil, 2 sesamin caps)

2 PM - Myoplex original blend

4 PM - Myoplex original (Myoplex lite or carb sense if dieting), 5 g glutamine

4:30 - 5:30 - Train
During workout - 1 serving Gaspari SizeOn

6 PM - 2 scoops Nutrex Vitargo CGL, 3 scoops Gaspari Protein, 20 oz orange gatorade, splash of skim plus, 5-7 g glutamine

7 PM - Myoplex original blend with low fat granola bar or 2 packets low sugar instant oatmeal

8 PM - Dinner- could be anything from fish, grilled chicken, lean steak - shoot for 50-60 g protein, carb load at this meal varies depending on diet (3 g flax seed oil, 1 cap coQ10, 2-4 caps sesamin)

9:30 - 40 g megawhey (GNC brand - contains 5 g glutamine)

11 PM - 1.5-2 cups low fat cottage cheese

clippers41

Awards
sorry i left those out but my maintainance caloric intake is 1884 im 5'8 and weigh about 157.I got the nutrition values from the label on what i was eating.

thanks roy for the info

clippers41

Awards
well rocky my goals are to gain as much weight and stregnth as i can before august 25th(i know im not going to gain an insane amout by then but would ever i can will be helpfull) and try to stay as lean as possible but i plan on doing a cutting cycle in the next 2-3 months also.
My body stats and stuff would be height5'8 weight 155-160 and im really not sure of bf%
I train every monday,wensday and thursday those are manily lifting days but there is also some speed and aglity in there and on tuesdays i run.

p.s thanks for your meal plan outline now i have something to baseb mine off of.

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established
sorry i left those out but my maintainance caloric intake is 1884 im 5'8 and weigh about 157.I got the nutrition values from the label on what i was eating.

thanks roy for the info

Are you just starting out? Are you a "hard gainer"? Even so I wouldnt advocate anything more than 2800 cals for you. If you still cant gain, go up slowly, 200 cals a day, until you get it right. Even "hard gainers" will get fat with enough calories so be careful.

clippers41

Awards
yeah i am just starting out this is the first time i am trying to put together a bulking diet of anysort.thanks for the help.If you ahve any other suggestions just let me know im open to anything right now

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
Eat a ton of food every 2.5-3 hrs, lots of protein. There are a ton of examples on here. Just take a look around and search...you will find it.

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established
Yout goal should be to shoot for AT LEAST 6 meals per day, and the happy medium would be eating enough at each sitting so you're full, but not too full to each again in 2.5 hours. And remember to keep it clean, no ice cream for extra calories, etc. If you cant eat enough clean food, just leave it alone, dont add garbage just to meet a desired caloric intake. It's better to be 5 lbs lighter and leaner than bigger and sloppier.

clippers41

Awards
Yout goal should be to shoot for AT LEAST 6 meals per day, and the happy medium would be eating enough at each sitting so you're full, but not too full to each again in 2.5 hours. And remember to keep it clean, no ice cream for extra calories, etc. If you cant eat enough clean food, just leave it alone, dont add garbage just to meet a desired caloric intake. It's better to be 5 lbs lighter and leaner than bigger and sloppier.

what would be some healthy foods you consider clean?

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established
Tuna, chicken, lean cuts of steak, protein shakes, meal replacement powders, whole grain rice, whole grain pasta

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
dont forget lean ground beef...cheap and very high in pro

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established
dont forget lean ground beef...cheap and very high in pro

Just be a little careful with the ground beef. My gf's father is a butcher and he says that sometimes the ground beef is 30%-50% fat, hence why it's so cheap. Most competitive bodybuilders will eat steak in the offseason, but cut it out pre-contest. But for bulking, I would recommend steak, just not some greasy fat T-bone or 24% portherhouse. Save that for the O-linemen...

clippers41

Awards
Just be a little careful with the ground beef. My gf's father is a butcher and he says that sometimes the ground beef is 30%-50% fat, hence why it's so cheap. Most competitive bodybuilders will eat steak in the offseason, but cut it out pre-contest. But for bulking, I would recommend steak, just not some greasy fat T-bone or 24% portherhouse. Save that for the O-linemen...

haha thanks rocky

Lean1038

Lean1038

Awards
Yea we need to know more about you i.e. your height, weight, bf%, training schedule, and goals. FWIW, this is my diet. I'm 5'10" 265 lbs and about 13% bf right now. Basically for me, this is my post cycle therapy diet, if I add cardio I'll lose a little bf, if I drop the carbs and up the cardio, it becomes my precontest diet. I dont know your stats, but I hope this somehow gives you an idea of what a maintenance diet would look like for yourself, and then extrapolate a bulker. For me, my bulking diet just has a little more protein and more slightly more carbs later in the day (but not past 9 PM)

7:30 AM - 60 g whey, 3-4 packets of low sugar instant oatmeal (3 g flax seed oil, 2 caps policosanol, 1 cap Co Q10, 1 serving Animal Pack multiV, 2 sesamin caps)

9:30 - Myoplex original blend

noon - 3 pieces chicken breast, cup brown rice, mixed veggies (3 g flax seed oil, 2 sesamin caps)

2 PM - Myoplex original blend

4 PM - Myoplex original (Myoplex lite or carb sense if dieting), 5 g glutamine

4:30 - 5:30 - Train
During workout - 1 serving Gaspari SizeOn

6 PM - 2 scoops Nutrex Vitargo CGL, 3 scoops Gaspari Protein, 20 oz orange gatorade, splash of skim plus, 5-7 g glutamine

7 PM - Myoplex original blend with low fat granola bar or 2 packets low sugar instant oatmeal

8 PM - Dinner- could be anything from fish, grilled chicken, lean steak - shoot for 50-60 g protein, carb load at this meal varies depending on diet (3 g flax seed oil, 1 cap coQ10, 2-4 caps sesamin)

9:30 - 40 g megawhey (GNC brand - contains 5 g glutamine)

11 PM - 1.5-2 cups low fat cottage cheese
You're relying too heavily on MRPs IMHO. You should be getting as much nutrients as possible from clean, whole foods while keeping a close eye on sodium, saturated fats, and genetically modified ingredients.

I wouldn't recommend more than two MRPs in a day aside of post workout.

Just my opinion.

Good luck.

Rocky82

Awards
  • Established
You're relying too heavily on MRPs IMHO. You should be getting as much nutrients as possible from clean, whole foods while keeping a close eye on sodium, saturated fats, and genetically modified ingredients.

I wouldn't recommend more than two MRPs in a day aside of post workout.

Just my opinion.

Good luck.
Much appreciated bro but tbh it's part personal preference and part necessity. My work schedule is so hectic and I can't leave what I'm doing to go eat, it has to be right there with me. So I just use them when I need them. I do, however, all but cut out MRP's when I'm dieting down for a contest. It's pretty much all egg whites, chicken, tuna, and fish for 3 months. And I take a lighter work schedule to allow me time to prepare and also get away to eat the meals.

FWIW I go by how I feel, how my workouts go, and most importantly, how my body responds. For bulking, maintenance, I do use lots of MRP's, but as I said when dieting down (I'm always dieting, I just mean cutting weight), it's mostly all whole foods. And I cant argue with my progress so I just try to take it in stride and not beat myself up over it too much. But on weekends and lighter work days, yes, the number of whole food meals goes up.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Much appreciated bro but tbh it's part personal preference and part necessity. My work schedule is so hectic and I can't leave what I'm doing to go eat, it has to be right there with me. So I just use them when I need them. I do, however, all but cut out MRP's when I'm dieting down for a contest. It's pretty much all egg whites, chicken, tuna, and fish for 3 months. And I take a lighter work schedule to allow me time to prepare and also get away to eat the meals.

FWIW I go by how I feel, how my workouts go, and most importantly, how my body responds. For bulking, maintenance, I do use lots of MRP's, but as I said when dieting down (I'm always dieting, I just mean cutting weight), it's mostly all whole foods. And I cant argue with my progress so I just try to take it in stride and not beat myself up over it too much. But on weekends and lighter work days, yes, the number of whole food meals goes up.
If MRP's are the only way you can get in all the calories you need with your schedule and you know that they work well for you then I don't think you should take them out. There's always going to be some better way to do things but if they don't fit into your schedule all the time, then they don't. I wouldn't worry about it too much.