Is it average to squat 2x bodyweight?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
ok so my memory is foggy but im sure in Middle school my teacher said its average to bench ur body weight and squat 2 x ur body weight? or it might have been leg press.. Anyways i find this to be a myth

Freshman thru senior year of HS i didnt squat at all wat so ever. maybe once every 2 months in the smith machine.

Freshman year of college Squatted off and on no real routine.

I started in june to hit legs hard started doing the squat machine which works mostly quads and Leg Pressed and did extentions and no hamstring curls because they were too imbalanced from deadlifting.

Well from squatting in August-September now going into October. Im hitting 320 x 3 2 very good reps getting parallel. Ive had a couple ppl watch it and they say competition wise it would be good. Not that i want to compete soon but i want to use strict form for squats...

Now i weigh 170-175 and i Squat 340 x 1 which is a ****ty rep it was 3 weeks ago. I got 320 x 3 today.. However im feeling a Legit max of 340 coming really soon? what do u guys think? is that impressive or just average lol

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
alright good to hear! im getting comfortable getting 3 plates for 1-3 reps. im LOVING wendler 5-3-1 for squats. and even after that i do a 20 rep failure one. sometimes.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I'd say a legit 340 squat to parallel or below at a bw of 170 is pretty darn good.

Squatting 2xBW is not avg, it's strong.

maybe 1/4 or 1/3 squat...........

in order of least to most diffulty:
2XBW parallel, atg or stopping down in the hole is VERY strong.

225 stopping in the hole is hard ****........i know i did a bunch of those tonight.......

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
yep 2x is strong

think of all the guys who bench more than they squat

also, a 320lb guy would then have to be doing 640 to be strong?

340 at 170 is fantastic and dont let anyone tell you different
just make sure they are at least inch or two below parallel so they are legit

i like atg but some cant or dont like them at all and fair enough

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
maybe 1/4 or 1/3 squat...........

in order of least to most diffulty:
2XBW parallel, atg or stopping down in the hole is VERY strong.

225 stopping in the hole is hard ****........i know i did a bunch of those tonight.......
Haha, yeah, I stand corrected, it is VERY strong. :)

Squatting from a dead stop is brutal!

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
damn thanks guys i feel good now. Not to be ****y but i when i was repping 285 x 3 i stopped on the hole looked to side at the mirrors and i was perfectly parallel. This week my 3 x 3 the last set 1 out of the 3 on 320 was sloppy. but it seems like every week i go up 5 pounds. like i can bet next couple weeks my 320 x 3 will be perfect form.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Ah you young punks!!

I can get about 385 x 6 fairly well.....far from the 500-ish I guess I should be at!

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
damn thanks guys i feel good now. Not to be ****y but i when i was repping 285 x 3 i stopped on the hole looked to side at the mirrors and i was perfectly parallel. This week my 3 x 3 the last set 1 out of the 3 on 320 was sloppy. but it seems like every week i go up 5 pounds. like i can bet next couple weeks my 320 x 3 will be perfect form.
great job

but parallel is not in the hole........

the hole is as low as your body will go(its actually ATG then stopping), then drive out.........

its a bitch.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
damn so in the hole is like a box squat pretty much?

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
In the hole- as low as your body will let you go. Below is a pretty good idea of how low. No board though.

Attachments

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Hey, that looks like me!!! ^^^^^

LOL

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
ok so he look at that picture and his thighs are parallel with the ground right? thats how mine are when i squat. Maybe i have a slightly different form? im honeslty not sure but i know my thighs are parrallel with the ground.

But going ATG ive seen an nfl running back and a couple DBs blow out knees doing that im good lol..

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Arnie's femurs, running through the center of his thighs, are not parallel to the floor. His butt is lower than his knees, making his femurs below parallel to the floor.

If your form is correct, you won't hurt yourself going past parallel. Frankly, many football players have terrible form in the weightroom - my experience there is that the amount of weight they move is much more important than the safety with which that load is moved. I.e. screw form and just move something heavier than the other team at any cost. That results in torn knees, blown backs and numerous other injuries.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Arnie's femurs, running through the center of his thighs, are not parallel to the floor. His butt is lower than his knees, making his femurs below parallel to the floor.

If your form is correct, you won't hurt yourself going past parallel. Frankly, many football players have terrible form in the weightroom - my experience there is that the amount of weight they move is much more important than the safety with which that load is moved. I.e. screw form and just move something heavier than the other team at any cost. That results in torn knees, blown backs and numerous other injuries.
Exactly......Arnold is below parallel and heading towards ATG.

On both parts......

I have been doing ATG for 4+ years, my knees were bad BEFORE I started lifting again...........In my earlier years I did no legs......... So I have earned every little bit of leg I have'nt in the last 5 years. lol

My knees are finally good now(knocks on wood) so i will continue with what im doing.

phL8Tme

phL8Tme

Awards
Hmmm. Can I throw something in the mix? I'm about 170 and do 10 reps @ 400lbs. But thats on a machine (...there is some controversy about this being cheating). Due to bad knees, I'm 41 in 12 days, I can only use the machine at LTF for squats.

The peice of junk is maxed at 400, what would be my max?

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Depends entirely on the machine man - different kinds and brands provide a wide variety of stimuli. But 10x400 on a machine wouldn't translate to anything remotely close to that much on free bar.

If you can't barbell squat due to injury I totally understand - I coudn't squat for 3months this summer because of an injury. Just know that there is a dramatic difference in the amount of weight one can handle on a machine in comparison with free weigt.

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
Hmmm. Can I throw something in the mix? I'm about 170 and do 10 reps @ 400lbs. But thats on a machine (...there is some controversy about this being cheating). Due to bad knees, I'm 41 in 12 days, I can only use the machine at LTF for squats.

The peice of junk is maxed at 400, what would be my max?
I you can squat a bare bar to the ground then you CAN squat. I don't know how bad your knees are but I'm guessing what you are really saying is that your knee problems prevent you from squating as heavy as you want/think you can.

Ignore that voice. I've had knee problems going back well over a decade. I relearn squating with only ATG. Started with the bar for a few weeks before moving up to 95. Now I can take 365 to the hole and my lower back is the only weak point (not enough good mornings in my life) and my knees love it. No pain. No stress on the joint at all.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
i'm happy with my 1RM of 300 @171lbs. below parallel.
i consider that strong and certainly out of the "beginner" category.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
my ass is usually lil lower then my knees it was that way for 3 clean reps on 285 however i couldnt turn and look in the mirror while doing 320 haha im sure u guys understand.... but yea im happy with parallel i can get below parallel with 1 on 320! i just need to learn how to max out on squats.

and whoever said u use the machine i could squat 300 for tons of reps on smith machine b4 i ever worked legs out haha.. and i could squat like 500 on some squat machine at the gym imo even light squats work ur legs better than any machine. I only used the machine cuz it focused on quaads and elimanted my imbalance