Is gvt a good idea?

Jsmith219

Jsmith219

Awards
I have been on a ppl for a while. Does anyone think running gvt for 6-8 weeks would be a good idea. Have never run any sort of volume routine like 10x10 or even 8x8 style of program.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have been on a ppl for a while. Does anyone think running gvt for 6-8 weeks would be a good idea. Have never run any sort of volume routine like 10x10 or even 8x8 style of program.
GVT is a great program. Can't go wrong with it if your current goal isn't training for maximal strength.

Jsmith219

Jsmith219

Awards
Purely size. What does everyone recommend after a cycle of gvt."?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You won't know until you give it a try. Give it a month and see if you like it. You can always switch or keep going.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
I'm doing it now. There's only one exercise you have to worry about in terms of difficulty on GVT and that is squats (okay there's also deads) If you load the bar appropriately (60% of 1rm) and stay honest and strict on the rest periods (90 seconds max) you're going to be in a world of pain. I've done smolov several times, 20 rep breathing squats utilizing my 10rm. With 20 reps squats you have the advantage of being able to take as long as you need to breath in order to complete the set. Bascially if you stick to your tempo on 10x10 it does not allow the time to get enough air into the lungs especially on the last 3 sets. You'll be seeing stars and it's probably wise to have a spotter on standby as you may well pass out. I'm 4 weeks in and hating it so far (in a good way) but I'm confident gains will come after sticking it out for 12 weeks.

Jsmith219

Jsmith219

Awards
Awesome you are pumping me up to try this. What are your plans after the 12 week cycle.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Yes 10x10 sounds very easy on paper and it is the first 4-5 sets but after that it eats you alive. I'll do deload for a couple weeks (5x10) then move back into high rep breathing squats. Undecided where I'll go with upper body movements thus far.

Jsmith219

Jsmith219

Awards
I've looked at probably 20 different templates for the exercises for each of the three days. Anyone who has or is doing gvt have advice about which exercises are best for each day?

pro45

Awards
If you do it, eat like a horse. However, if you complete a cycle you'll lose a lot of strength once you go back to a more general routine.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Up to you. Choose exercises you're familiar with but obviously the best bang for your buck is going to be compounds such as squats,bench,pullups,military press. A couple weeks to allow your CNS to adapt to heavy training and you'll likely be stronger than before. Personally I've never increased the size of any muscle group without my 1 rm also improving.

Jsmith219

Jsmith219

Awards
Are you still able to use any weight doing military press 10x10? I feel like by the last couple sets I wouldn't be able to move almost any weight.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
I haven't had any trouble with it. Load the bar accordingly. I was unable to complete 10 reps the last 3 sets getting only 8,6,6 reps. This is a good thing though with the goal to eventually achieve 10x10.