Iron Levels

bioman3131

Awards
I posted a thread awhile back under "anything to be concerned about. For some reason I can't attach to that thread , Anyway,I was finally able to give blood today and I guess I will starting blood pressure medicine as well, Atenolol as per my family doc. I am still kind of concerned with the iron levels though. I think they are testing hematocrit at the blood bank. Two weeks ago mine was 51 and today it was 54. The technician said it should be below 38. Is anyone familiar with these values? They keep acting like they are outrageously high. I had blood work done about two months ago and Dr. John didn't say anything was that out of wack just that it was time for me to donate blood.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Google Hemochromatosis. You should get tested.

Elevated hematocrit could be due to dehydration also but it is always safer to r/o an organic issue. Elevated hematocrit would also impy elevated iron levels if I am not mistaken.

bioman3131

Awards
I am pretty sure the elevation in iron is secondary to my TRT. I had it checked before I started and it was fine. I am just confused about the values they use. What is low, normal and high. I am also kind of concerned about going on blood pressure medicine. Does anyone else have experience with this? My doc prescribed Atenolol and after researching it a bit I discovered it can have some sexual side effects. Great, I finally get all this hormone stuff right and now my GP wants to put me on something that can potentally cause the same issues I had with low test. I think I will pass. I am going to call tomrrow and ask if I can start on an Ace inhibiter or something that does not have these effects.

bioman3131

Awards
I found out it is hematocrit they test for when I give blood and I found the ranges. One was 30-51 and another source was 38-64. Mine have been 51 and 54. Everytime I go in the technician acts like its extremely high. Any input?

bem9127

Awards
I found out it is hematocrit they test for when I give blood and I found the ranges. One was 30-51 and another source was 38-64. Mine have been 51 and 54. Everytime I go in the technician acts like its extremely high. Any input?
That is high. I think 41 to 50% is normal?

Potential Causes (Not a complete list)
Too much water or body fluid has left the body. This would cause less fluid in relation to the amount of cells.

Can also be high when there is an increased amount of red blood cells in response to a burn injury, shock, or some other type of trauma.

Exposure to high elevations for long periods produces an increase in red blood cells so that the body can receive more oxygen. The reason the body needs more oxygen at high elevations is because there is a lower amount of oxygen at higher heights.

Do any of these apply?