In desperate need of advice...Please review my blood work.

kram22

Awards
I'm a new member and really in need of help understanding my blood work and how to improve the results. I'm a 44yr old Type 2 diabetic and take Insulin and have a very low Libido. I'm considering TRT but i'm not sure if thats what I need. What do you think? Thanks

Total testosterone-390.6
testosterone Free serum-4.80
testosterone Total serum-485.9
testosterone Bioavailable-129.0
Albumin-5.0
Estrogen Total serum-201
SHGB- 88
TSH- 3.62
LH- 16.2
FSH serum-34.0
DHEA Sulfate-248
Prolactin serum-10.3
Free T4-.86
T3-.51

Chem Profile 29:
HDL %-45
Chol/HDL ratio-
LDL/HDL ratio-1.16
LDL Cholesterol-109
VLDL, CALC-7
HDL CHOL Direct-94
Trigilycerides-37
Phosphorus-3.0
ALT-24
GGTP-22
Cholesterol-210
AST-34
Alk Phos-58
LD-155
Bilirubin,Tot-0.8
Iron-125
Uric Acid-5.0
BUN/Creat Ratio-7.9
Calcium-9.4
e-GFR-93
BUN-7
CO2-26
Potassium-3.9
Chloride-95
Sodium-135
Glucose-83
A/G ratio-3.1
Globulin-1.6
Albumin-5.0
Total Protein-6.6

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Diabetes causes major inflammation some times which can be seen in elevated SHBG
Your digestion sucks, gut is inflammed, probably your liver which is causing SHBG to rise.
Your thyroid is low which is common diabetes
Doctor is non educated in getting proper blood work for hormones. Estradiol never check which can drive SHBG as well as effect thyroid receptor function

You got major issues which need to be addressed which TRT will not resolve. I see this commonly in older guys
Your balls are just about dead they are giving one last ditch effort before they crash...TRT is looking in your future.

vassille

Awards
I have a question for you, why did you jump into insulin as a type 2 diabetic?
Pls explain circumstances that made you take this path

kram22

Awards
Worried about to many side effects with oral meds and I found it easier to maintain normal blood sugar using the insulin.

vassille

Awards
Problem is that insulin is like a last resort solution rather than first. What was your blood glucose tendencies and A1C in the past?
Normally if you dont eat carbs you dont need much insulin. Sometimes you have the usual liver dumps but that's hardly a reason to jump on insulin. Reason im asking these questions is that some of your problems with inflamation is caused by food choices you make and insulin resistance which by taking more insulin will not resolve the issue but add fuel to the fire.

High SHBG is a sign liver stress and inflamation. Not sure what scale they used for estrogen but it's way high..should only be around 30. However, your LH is high too which basically says that your body senses low testosterone and it's trying to make more. But this tesosterone gets converted to estrogen and some binds to SHBG.
What's you diet like now and in the past?How much insulin are you taking daily .....and what type?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
1. Focus on lifestyle, nutrition, looking at underlying cause based upon past history.
2. sleep hygiene
3. Adrenal
4. Worried about side effects of oral meds where as self medicating with insulin can kill you.

kram22

Awards
I eat a very low carb diet now which consists of mainly vegetables, nuts, very little fruit and some meat proteins also I excerise daily, don't smoke, drink only socially and I'm not overweight (6'4 190) but I do believe I have primary hypogonadism...I take a pretty low dose of long lasting insulin daily and then use the fast acting insulin whenever I may need it during the course of the day. But i do have a problem managing stress which I've had since I was a kid.

Last edited: