if ronnie coleman were to play pro football...

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
haha, someone has the case of the Mondays...

It's a fantasy question for the love of God it wasn't meant as something to actually get into an in depth discussion about.

Each sport has the athletes that are adapted to do well in it. A Football player is an athlete but I doubt most could run a marathon does that mean that they are not atheletes because they can't do well in another sport designed to benefit from certain conditioning? To say Coleman isn't an athlete is just shows your ignorance and bias. That's all. Just have fun with the damn question and stop making it into a drama queen thread.
So since its a fantasy question the answer is not suppose to make sense? I'm not sure I can cope with that. Like I said in a previous post IMO an athlete is someone who possesses speed, power, and agility. So let me clarify football, basketball, tennis players etc are all athletes. Marathon runners, bodybuilders not so much. I mean where do you draw the line, are bowlers athletes? Don't get me wrong I respect what they do and understand it is very difficult, but they are not athletes. The mentality of "just have fun with the thread, stop making it a drama queen thread" is sickening. What your telling me to do is to sit back and just let you guys think what you want even if it is wrong. There is absolutely nothing wrong with argueing, and I have many valid points that are not being addressed. Revodrew is content to say I sucked at wrestling, and that hes going to continue thinking Ron Coleman is the next Shannon Sharpe. Oh and for the quy saying he wants to see Coleman in the UFC, that would be a beautiful thing to watch. He would get destroyed by middleweights. There is always a chance that hes the exception to the rule, but I've seen a lot of bodybuilders attempt MMA and it is not pretty.

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
So is a person in the strong man competition considered athletic by your standards? I have yet to see one that can beat me in the 40 but I cant lift a 400lb rock and carry it for 25 yards. Does that really make me more athletic then him. How about a sumo wrestler?, big, fat, slow, but very agile. Is there really a place to draw a line. Just because you are big doesnt mean you are slow nor does it mean that you are exceptionally strong. I know I am gonna get **** for that but does one rep at 375 = more then 12 reps at 275? Everything can be looked at in many differant ways. That is my point.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
So is a person in the strong man competition considered athletic by your standards?
I know you're not referring to me but athletes who try the crossover from another sport to football usually fail miserably for several reasons.

1) They're not used to the complexity of the game (i.e. playbooks, situations on the field, studying film on opponents)
2) The type of condtioning you need in football is different than they type of conditioning you would need in most other sports.
3) Most who tried weren't used to the physical beating they'd take, except for Brock Lesnar who tried for the Vikings.
4) The sports skills themselves are completely different. A 500 pound bench press won't do **** for you if you can't recognize a blitz, get off the ball like a bat out of hell, and know all the proper techniques you will need for your opponent.

The only guy who I remember making the transition from another sport to football was James Jett of the Raiders. He had 3 decent seasons as a starter and about another 5 as a 3rd receiver. He was an Olympic sprinter before hacking it with the Raiders. Bo and Deion don't count either because they had experience in college and high school before turning pro at 2 sports (that still boggles my mind)

screwbol

Banned
Awards
LOL. Anyone who thinks a bodybuilder can make even the practice squad on an NFL team is smoking crack.

Ronnie has the balance, speed, and agility of a toddler compared to a pro football player at any position. Any third stringer lineman would pancake him with ease.

I guess the one position he could start at would be water boy. I'd say strength coach but he doesn't seem like the most intelligent guy in the world.

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
I guess there is really no right answer where anyone or everyone will be happy. I just thought it was a question where OPINIONS were what he wanted, I didnt realize that this was going to turn into a heated debate. Sorry for putting my 2cents in the conversation.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I looked at the question in a way of if Ronnie had all the skills of a regular player but at a much bigger size where would you put him. I didn't look at it as if he could just show up one day and pick a spot.

You and I consider athletes in a different way, I guess. I look at an athlete as one who has to train physically for their sport/event

I don't think anyone here is under the impression that a pro bodybuilder could move like a runningback...But I guess if you can't handle those questions feel free to get bent out of shape over nothing :)

tsc

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
for what its worth (and its not much at that) a friend of mine at work use to play for Grambling at the same time Ronnie was playing college ball. He's mentioned it a few times, that he looked like he'd be really tough, but wasn't much on the field. Obviously he wasn't nearly as big then as he is now. He did say he his arms looked bigger than his legs at the time, and his "alleged" steroid use was a running joke even in the college days. My friend is in the 350+ pound range, so he's a bit biased on the size/strength thing.

TSC

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
I looked at the question in a way of if Ronnie had all the skills of a regular player but at a much bigger size where would you put him. I didn't look at it as if he could just show up one day and pick a spot.

You and I consider athletes in a different way, I guess. I look at an athlete as one who has to train physically for their sport/event

I don't think anyone here is under the impression that a pro bodybuilder could move like a runningback...But I guess if you can't handle those questions feel free to get bent out of shape over nothing :)
well said!

klugman

klugman

Awards
  • Established
I think Chuck Norris would be more valuable to an NFL team because Chuck's superhuman roundhouse kick would put the pig skin through the uprights everytime.

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established
I think Chuck Norris would be more valuable to an NFL team because Chuck's superhuman roundhouse kick would put the pig skin through the uprights everytime.
But that would send the ball back in time!!!

King Nothing

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ronnie can do the splits right? so he is flexible still

RockMam

Awards
Comming from a football player, I'd love to see a person like ronnie on the field, so I can tear his ass up. Its not strength in sports, its technique period!

Customizer

Black Star Labs
Awards
but theyre mostly fat and far taller than ronnie at around the same weight and im sure thyere not as powerful as him, but who knows...
this means nothing. Jeez, most guys in WSM are probably fatter than him too, you know where I'd bet Ronnie would place at WSM? I'd bet dead last.

Customizer

Black Star Labs
Awards
You'd think a guy that strong could just like.. crush someone's skull.
yeah he also used to be a pro boxer and does MMA extensively. I think he would be pretty unbeatable.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Comming from a football player, I'd love to see a person like ronnie on the field, so I can tear his ass up. Its not strength in sports, its technique period!
Amen to that ! Perfect technique takes time to develop. You can't survive in the NFL with crappy technique, no matter how great of an athlete you are. Ronnie Coleman (or anyone else who's huge and fast) won't be able to tear it up right away because if Ronnie would play DT he'd have to learn how shed blocks, learn how to defend screens, learn a scheme and play within the scheme, develop a variety of rushing moves, learn how to defend 2 gaps when asked to etc.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Make him a center then put yourself on the D-line and then tell me you still would tear his ass up :D

joshua45stang

Awards
Unless he played football his entire left he would be dominated. Pro football is all experience and skill

cromwell

Awards
Exactly. I can't believe you think he'd stand a chance at any position. He's slow as hell, that size looks great(I guess) but it is completely worthless. Now a WSM competitor like svend karlsen or that new belarussian dude I believe would be great in the NFL with 1-2 years serious training.
Maybe..As tony little would say,"TECHNIQUE" There is alot more to playing at an elite level than pure physicality...How much do you think Tedy Bruchsi benches...who cares! This is not what makes him one of the best in the sport-get my drift. So, who do guys think would win in a fight Ronnie Coleman or Chuck Norris?:rofl:

jbono731

jbono731

Awards
  • Established
I would put his ass on the bench, he would be crushed on the field.

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
Ronnie could totally be a field goal kicker. He could send that ball flying twice the height of regular kickers, and not have to worry about blowing the bee's knees.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Instead...what about Dexter as a Tight End...He'd go over the middle no problem.

Bildo_21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ronnie could play some 1st & 2nd down & goaline DT, they are the really lazy, slow, out of shape, Raw power machines, and most of them are between 6'0"-6'4" and 290-340, So big Ronnie fits that.

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
not to mention he still hasnt done **** yet this season. i really like boston but if he doenst get his act right he needs to go.
I am glad we cut him, Ha!! and by we I mean the San Diego Chargers.....whattt!!???!

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
So, who do guys think would win in a fight Ronnie Coleman or Chuck Norris?:rofl:
I know it is a close call, but according to the CDC:

The leading causes of death in the United States are: 1. Heart Disease 2. Chuck Norris 3. Cancer

Seeing as how Chuck Norris is the #2 leading cause of death, I give him a slight advantage over Ronnie.

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
ronnie cant run....now someone like levrone in his prime might be able to do well.....he was agile as hell nevermind his speed.

any of you ever see the jayleno show where ronnie was a guest and they raced on the beach wearing fins and snorkles....leno whooped his ass LMAO.

ronnie could definately lay someone out though

cromwell

Awards
I know it is a close call, but according to the CDC:

The leading causes of death in the United States are: 1. Heart Disease 2. Chuck Norris 3. Cancer

Seeing as how Chuck Norris is the #2 leading cause of death, I give him a slight advantage over Ronnie.
:rofl: glad to see someone has a sense of humor here
oh, btw
4)mac Donalds
5)Steven Segall