If glycogen stores are totally full, any benefit from pre workout carbs ?

4gotlogin

Awards
Simple question really.. for example, i had a large pizza last night, and looking, feeling full and (im on (low dose) aas so glycogen stores are likely maximal).

However,i habitually have a large bowl of porridge oats 1-2 hours pre workout ... my question is ìs that quite useless in terms of workout energy/intensity ? I suppose it probably may help post workout recovery if anything?

I suppose im asking because my appetite pre workout is always quite poor so dont enjoy eating at this time, but if it can be said to increase workout intensity then i will continue

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I used to train fasted in the morning, after a night of eating well.

I switched up to combining Gatorade powder with my pre workout. I notice I have better pumps, and more energy throughout my workout. Even if you are full of glycogen before your workout, if you add carbs for the workout, you'll have glycogen added while it depletes, as opposed to just depletion.

4gotlogin

Awards
Yes the notion of refilling as you go makes some sense. And undoubtably it could help post workout recovery so i suppose this was a dumb question just looking for an excuse to not eat !

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yes the notion of refilling as you go makes some sense. And undoubtably it could help post workout recovery so i suppose this was a dumb question just looking for an excuse to not eat !
Do a a Gatorade powder. Carbs, electrolytes, not too filling. Will digest immediately, and be used immediately during the workout.