I need help figuring out a workout problem I'm having.

Neverworld

Awards
Ok I'm not new to lifting but I don't really know much about pyramids. My max is currently 215 on bench and I've been using a pyramid calculator to do my bench workouts.

135 x 10 (55%)
160 x 8 (65%)
185 x 6 (75%)
210 x 4 (85%)
220 x 3 (88.5%)
230 x 2 (92.5%)
185 x 6 (75%)

This is the pyramid for 250 pounds which is my short term bench goal. All the workouts run off of these percentages. My question is, and don't laugh at me if it sounds stupid, but if I was to keep working on the split for 250 would that allow me to eventually get all the sets and reps for it? Or would it be faster just to do the split for 220, 225, 230, and so on until I get to the split for 250? I currently bench once a week, do triceps with chest and do shoulders two days later since my shoulders are definitely my weak spot.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If your current max is 215 don't go off of percentages for 250 and just hope you get there. If you can only do 215 and you use that max how are you going to get 220 for 3 reps or 230 for 2?

Run the pyramids with your current max, adjust as you get stronger. :)

Neverworld

Awards
I'm confused because I can do the pyramid for 215 and get all my sets and reps. Last time I did it I worked the pyramid for 225 but couldn't finish it. I've never used percentages before. When I started lifting I was taught to pick a weight and start at 10 and use a 10,8,6,4,2 rep scheme. So I'm unclear how to proceed.

BeastFitness

BeastFitness

Banned
Awards
I would retest and find your true 1RM. Go from there with a properly periodized program

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
Are you new to life though? How the hell are you gonna do 230x2 220x3 let alone 210x4 if you friggin max 215?

That's the explanation that I'd like to hear

KidIcarus

KidIcarus

Awards
For how many weeks have you been doing the pyramid scheme for? Sometimes you hit a plateau and need to change things up. If you repeatedly aren't able to hit your reps for 225, you are probably at a plateau and I would make adjustments to your work-out. Some different options I like to do when I hit a plateau for bench press: 1) Change goals from building strength to building mass. So, go for 3-4 sets of 8 reps. In your case probably try for around 8 reps of 185lbs and progress to 195ish. After about a month of this you can switch back to the pyramid and you will be surprised how much better you can do. Sometimes mentally, you become fatigued from lifting really heavy and switching to more of a mass building scheme will help you mentally later. And, by building up your endurance with a slightly lighter weight, you will be able to lift heavier later. 2) Switch from barbells to dumbbells. Dumbbells are more challenging, and when you switch back to barbells you will be stronger with them 3) Try pin press (using a squat rack and starting out with the bar resting on the safety barely above your chest rather than starting from the top. You will have to drop the amount of weight you lift considerably to be able to do it. It will increase your ability to drive the weights up at the bottom of each rep 4) Switch to doing incline press first. You will go into bench press pre-fatigued and it will be harder. When you switch back later to bench press first, you will be able to do more, because it will now be your first lift 5) Use a lighter weight and slow the negative (instead of 2 seconds up and 2 seconds down, do 4-5 seconds down to your chest and then 2 seconds back up). It will be a lot harder, and you will be able to do more when you speed the negative back up again. You can make it even harder by supersetting with flyes first.
I like to alternate between building strength and building mass. So, I will have my work-out geared towards building strength (so, pyramid schemes on my first lift) until I hit a plateau, which is usually after about a month. Then I will switch to building mass (8-12 rep range on my first lift, as well as almost all the rest, increase intensity using rest-pause or drop sets) until I no longer feel soreness after my work-out (again usually after a month).
There are probably other ideas I could give you, but I'd need to know your work-out routine, diet, and supplements to be more helpful.
Good luck. Everyone hits plateaus. If not, we'd all be benching over 1000 lbs :)

KidIcarus

KidIcarus

Awards
After re-reading your post: no, do not base your work-out off of a 1RM of 250 if that is not your 1RM. If you can hit all the reps for 215, then your 1RM may now be more than 215 and I would try for around 225.

MBZ

Awards
After re-reading your post: no, do not base your work-out off of a 1RM of 250 if that is not your 1RM. If you can hit all the reps for 215, then your 1RM may now be more than 215 and I would try for around 225.
Agreed work for 225 until you can hit all of the sets and then up it again.