i am for phil

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And also has his doctorate in the sociology of religion whole also having a quite extensive academic background in the history of religion.

But his personal faith totally discredits his work right? I suppose a random pastor would be able to understand the historical context jesues would have existed in better than an academically trained expert in the field right? :eyeroll:

(Ad hominem? Really? I didnt exoect you to go Bill O'Riley on me there. Im surprised, I hadnt expected for you to be a fanatic)
I just think it's humorous that someone from a faith that is literally quite hostile towards Christianity writes about the history and life of Jesus and people don't think that he might have had some sort of agenda. And no, I am not as educated as him but it would be interesting to see both arguments

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just think it's humorous that someone from a faith that is literally quite hostile towards Christianity writes about the history and life of Jesus and people don't think that he might have had some sort of agenda. And no, I am not as educated as him but it would be interesting to see both arguments
Maybe foreigners shouldn't write scholarly articles about Shakespeare by your "logic"

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
He addressed that same ad hominem attack on a Fox News program, where he pointed out his credentials as a scholar of religion.

What an unbelievably shortsighted comment. If you took some time to think before you posted, I'm sure you wouldn't have written that.
well despite what you might think about me piston I'm not a perfect human being.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Maybe foreigners shouldn't write scholarly articles about Shakespeare by your "logic"
what does this have to do with being a foreigner? It has everything to do with a religion that mostly hates Jesus? Piston I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but ive come to the conclusion that you cannot respectfully discuss anything with anyone on this forum. Therefore you can say whatever you'd like but until you humble yourself and realize you dont hold the answers to the mysteries of the world I will no longer give you the attention you so desperately seek.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
what does this have to do with being a foreigner? It has everything to do with a religion that mostly hates Jesus? Piston I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but ive come to the conclusion that you cannot respectfully discuss anything with anyone on this forum. Therefore you can say whatever you'd like but until you humble yourself and realize you dont hold the answers to the mysteries of the world I will no longer give you the attention you so desperately seek.
I will refrain from using analogy to make points to you.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not all Muslims are hostile towards Christians just as not all Christians are hostile towards Muslims. Quite a few Muslims tolerate Christianity quite well and vice versea. Don't let the actions of a few dictate thoughts on how a majority acts.

I think it is a mistake to assume the author is hostile towards Christianity just because he is a Muslim.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not all Muslims are hostile towards Christians just as not all Christians are hostile towards Muslims. Quite a few Muslims tolerate Christianity quite well and vice versea. Don't let the actions of a few dictate thoughts on how a majority acts.

I think it is a mistake to assume the author is hostile towards Christianity just because he is a Muslim.
That's the trend that is happening over in the middle east...Islam is becoming more and more radical. Are Sunni Muslims generally tolerant of Christians...yes. But they are vastly becoming the minority as radicals move in to usher in shia law. Hundreds of thousands of Christians are being beheaded and tortured in the middle east....I think it's safe to say that a majority of Muslim people have either a disdain for the name Jesus or a hate for the name Jesus.

And besides why don't you utilize that same concept for Christains? We just spent a good portion of this thread trying to convince you all that not all Christians hate homosexuals lol. I guess it must come easier for some religions. Lol

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's the trend that is happening over in the middle east...Islam is becoming more and more radical. Are Sunni Muslims generally tolerant of Christians...yes. But they are vastly becoming the minority as radicals move in to usher in shia law. Hundreds of thousands of Christians are being beheaded and tortured in the middle east....I think it's safe to say that a majority of Muslim people have either a disdain for the name Jesus or a hate for the name Jesus.
Ok, what's that have to do with the author of the book? He is discredited because other Muslims do these things?

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok, what's that have to do with the author of the book? He is discredited because other Muslims do these things?
Welcome Jim, sorry we've got a bit off track I was just explaining that a large majority of radical Muslims generally hate what Jesus stands for. Evident by radical persecution and executions.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Welcome Jim, sorry we've got a bit off track I was just explaining that a large majority of radical Muslims generally hate what Jesus stands for. Evident by radical persecution and executions.
So, are you purposefully avoiding addressing that topic then? Or was it accidental sidetracking?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will address the prophecies when I get to my laptop. Since I am on my phone I will keep this brief. Islam doesn't hate Jesus. In actuality, if you read the qu'ran it recognizes Jesus as a "prophet" and religious leader. However , it just recognizes Muhammed as the final one.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here are a few....

What is the Messiah supposed to accomplish? The Bible says that he will:

A. Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).

B. Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).

C. Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)

D. Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world--on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I will address the prophecies when I get to my laptop. Since I am on my phone I will keep this brief. Islam doesn't hate Jesus. In actuality, if you read the qu'ran it recognizes Jesus as a "prophet" and religious leadsoer. However , it just recognizes Muhammed as the final one.
so they just go around defaming churches and beheading Christians for no reason?

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here are a few....

What is the Messiah supposed to accomplish? The Bible says that he will:

A. Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).

B. Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).

C. Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)

D. Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world--on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).
Three of those are still in process. He has drawn all Jews back to Israel when it finally became a nation state in 1948. The other three are end time prophecies that haven't occurred yet.

You will find a large portion of end time prophecies actually occur outside of revelations. Ezekiel talks about the battle of Gog and Magog referring to Armageddon. Daniel is full of end time prophecies. Zechariah is and even some in Isaiah

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't you think is view point is bias?
Why would he be bias? What is the vested interest he would have or what is it he is looking to gain? The book details the historical accounts and impact Jesus had at the time he existed. Whats his motive here?

I mean God's own chosen people ... the Jews... even deny Jesus as God. We didn't need someone from the faith of Islam to author a book claiming Jesus was a fake...
Your cognitive dissonance is causing you to selectively read. I intentionally said in no way shape or form is this book attempting to say Jesus did not exist. There are very few scholars that lead towards the chirst myth. The majority acknowledge his existance.

By that logic, it could be argued that anyone who wrote that book would have a biased view. Doesn't make it so though.
Exactly

It has everything to do with a religion that mostly hates Jesus?
Making sweeping generalizations doesnt really help the discussion. Especially since when it comes to Christian vs muslims the Christians arent really the innocent good guys here

That's the trend that is happening over in the middle east...Islam is becoming more and more radical.
And do you have evidence that the author is radical?

And besides why don't you utilize that same concept for Christains? We just spent a good portion of this thread trying to convince you all that not all Christians hate homosexuals lol. I guess it must come easier for some religions. Lol
Not quite. The majority of the discuss was an advocation of human rights for homosexuals. Christians are free to hate them all they want. The problem arises when that hated causes the denial of rights. If it is true that muslums hate Jesus then they are free to do so but if the hatred spills over into the law around worship being changed then I would speak up for Christians just like how I speak up for homosexuals

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You seem to be working from this assumption that the book is denying Jesus existance and that it was written by a radical muslim. The first is easily wrong and the second you have no evidence of. You are being delusional

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why would he be bias? What is the vested interest he would have or what is it he is looking to gain? The book details the historical accounts and impact Jesus had at the time he existed. Whats his motive here?

Your cognitive dissonance is causing you to selectively read. I intentionally said in no way shape or form is this book attempting to say Jesus did not exist. There are very few scholars that lead towards the chirst myth. The majority acknowledge his existance.

Exactly

Making sweeping generalizations doesnt really help the discussion. Especially since when it comes to Christian vs muslims the Christians arent really the innocent good guys here

And do you have evidence that the author is radical?

Not quite. The majority of the discuss was an advocation of human rights for homosexuals. Christians are free to hate them all they want. The problem arises when that hated causes the denial of rights. If it is true that muslums hate Jesus then they are free to do so but if the hatred spills over into the law around worship being changed then I would speak up for Christians just like how I speak up for homosexuals
Christians really aren't free to hate anyone, If they do they might want to further examine their faith.

BoneDaddy

BoneDaddy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
so they just go around defaming churches and beheading Christians for no reason?
You are making a very broad generalization about Muslims. You would be offended or quick to jump on someone if they called all Christians murderers who bomb abortion clinics. Those people are radicals, almost every religion has them.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You seem to be working from this assumption that the book is denying Jesus existance and that it was written by a radical muslim. The first is easily wrong and the second you have no evidence of. You are being delusional
I didn't say existence. I said a fake....meaning that Jesus claiming to be God in flesh not being true from his view point.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Christians really aren't free to hate anyone, If they do they might want to further examine their faith.
Out of everything I asked, said and pointed out you choose this as your response? This comment is conpletely irrelevant to the discussion unless the discussion is about how unfair it is Christians arent allowed to hate and others are.

I didn't say existence. I said a fake....meaning that Jesus claiming to be God in flesh not being true from his view point.
The author doesnt say that either. I said there isnt any evidence to support that and also said it is understandably so. Meaning even if it was true there wouldnt be evidence. So essential it is something that can not be proven or disproven. That is what I said, not the author.

And for the record the author doesnt say that either, he simply ignores it since it is something that evidence can not be provided for. Insyead he focuses on what the evidence support.

The book is a rather flattering book of jesus life, if you werent so hung up on the trivial fact of the authors religion you would be throwing this book in the face of non believers as it validate the existance and impact of Jesus.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You are making a very broad generalization about Muslims. You would be offended or quick to jump on someone if they called all Christians murderers who bomb abortion clinics. Those people are radicals, almost every religion has them.
Again I don't need zealot to validate Jesus life I have the Bible and many people have proved his life much earlier than him.

I am officially done in this thread. If you want to chat about the prophecies or the Bible or anything PM me. We seem to have the whole gang in here and I am tired of it.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Again I don't need zealot to validate Jesus life I have the Bible and many people have proved his life much earlier than him.
Zealot - a person who is fanatical and uncompromising in pursuit of their religious, political, or other ideals.

Are you sure that out of you and the author of the book, Reza Aslan, that he is the one who is the zealot? :/

I am officially done in this thread. If you want to chat about the prophecies or the Bible or anything PM me. We seem to have the whole gang in here and I am tired of it.
Since you have refused to answer any question, respond to any evidence presented or acknowledge the inaccuracy of your assumptions, I think its safe to say you were never really "participating" in the discussion.

BoneDaddy

BoneDaddy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I'm not sure what this response has to do with my comment?

Sorry you're bowing out, you were 1 of the calm, debatable guys and I enjoyed seeing you in here.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Three of those are still in process. He has drawn all Jews back to Israel when it finally became a nation state in 1948. The other three are end time prophecies that haven't occurred yet.

You will find a large portion of end time prophecies actually occur outside of revelations. Ezekiel talks about the battle of Gog and Magog referring to Armageddon. Daniel is full of end time prophecies. Zechariah is and even some in Isaiah
Oh I see, it is all contingent upon his return, which according to the NT he said would happen during the lifetime of his followers :rolleyes:

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm not sure what this response has to do with my comment?

Sorry you're bowing out, you were 1 of the calm, debatable guys and I enjoyed seeing you in here.
My goal in this thread was not to provoke or frustrate anyone but I feel like that isn't the goal of everyone and it tires me out. I also don't want to give into the provocateering and say something unloving or disrespectful.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And yet many do.

Both sides have extremists and always have. Painting with the broad brush of generalization leads to false statements. If you want to say Muslims are bad you have plenty of ammo you can use. If you want to say Christians are bad you have plenty of ammo to use.

Every faith and non faith has people who are nuts. People who claim to be for the religion but do stuff counter to how the majority of the faith believes.

We have well over a billion Muslims in the world. The majority of them are not terrorists and are pissed off when people kill and say they are doing it in the name of the Muslim faith. We have well over a billion Christians in the world. The majority of them are not terrorists and are pissed off when people kill and say they are doing it in the name of the Christian faith.

It is only fair for both faiths to realize that generalizations against one another could easily go either way.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are people still for Phil?

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BoneDaddy

BoneDaddy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The thread lives!! This is 1 resurrection I believe in......

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The thread lives!! This is 1 resurrection I believe in......
Bump for ^^^^^^^^. Damn I miss him (and his avatar). Eerie quote too, in light of current events.

Hope you lived well man.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bump for ^^^^^^^^. Damn I miss him (and his avatar). Eerie quote too, in light of current events.

Hope you lived well man.
Feels like I'm missing something?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Man, what the hell is going on lately? Folks on here just passing away. :(

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards