Hyperplasia Training ...

sportsbro21

sportsbro21

Awards
  • Established
Hyperplasia is, an abnormal increase in the number of cells in an organ or a tissue with consequent enlargement. (new cells)

I'v done quite a bit of research on the subject, and the idea in relation to bodybuilding is grow new muscles cells. If you focus your training on increasing the number of muscle fibers you have, you can increase the size muscles in two ways. (growing new cells and increasing size of them)
From what iv gathered, training that induces hyperplasia, is quite different from hypertrophy (increase size of muscle fibers). Hyperplasia training is more concerned with volume than high intensity. A suggested program would involve: 5-8 sets per exercise, 12-15 reps per set, and a minimum of 20-24 sets per body part. The growth of newly formed cells takes about 96 hours (4 days), so you would only want to hit each body part once a week. This work out should be performed at a faster pace with rest of only 30-45 sec between sets.
Pick a weight and do three sets of 15, none of these should take you to failure. Now increase the weight each set, until failure between the 12 and 15 rep is reached, do not do drop sets, if you cant get 15 you are using to much weight. should take between 6-8 total sets. Go to next exercise for that body part and do the sets just like the last ones. This is how all your exercises will be. You will have to drop the weight on your lifts to be able to handle the volume at first. Remember, high intensity and reaching failure isn't the goal. Trust me, with this amount of volume you will have a bigger pump than you can imagine. Try to increase weight used each workout.

After you train like that for a few months you will notice some size gains from the new tissue, muscle shape should look better, and muscles will become more striated.
Next go back to hypertrophy training for a few months to increase the size of the new muscle fibers.

I learned about hyperplasia in an anatomy class and wondered if it could actually be applied to and benefit my training. So after gathering as many opinions and research articles as I could find I decided to try it out. I'v been training that way for about a month now and i'm loving it. I have gained 4 lbs of lean mass and dropped 1.5% bf. I am finding it very beneficial and thought some of you might find it interesting or beneficial as well.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Researchers argue that strength training may also promote a small increase in muscle fiber number (hyperplasia). Nonetheless, the concept of hyperplasia remains controversial and limited evidence exists that hyperplasia occurs in humans.

MacDougal, J. 1992. Hypertrophy or hyperplasia. IN Strength and Power in Sport, ed. P. Komi, 230-38. London: Blackwell Scientific Publishing.

Sjostrom, M. et al. 1991. Evidence of fiber hyperplasia in human skeletal muscles from healthy young men? European Journal of Applied Physiology 62:310-4.

Umnova, M., and T. Seene. 1991. The effect of increased functional load on the activation of satellite cells in the skeletal muscles of adult rats. International Journal of Sports Medicine 12:501-4.

sportsbro21

sportsbro21

Awards
  • Established
True, it is a controversial subject. It has been proven to occur in cats, mice, and birds. But, sense taking multiple muscle fiber samples from the same area can cause permeant tissue damage, it isn't considered scientifically ethical to test with humans.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hyperplasia has been shown to occur with IGF-1/GH use. In theory, it is possible through training, but nothing has really been shown to effectively stimulate hyperplasia in myocytes.

witt51

witt51

Awards
  • Established
holistic training is supposed to work the same way. i have trained w a modified holistic program and made the best gains than any other program.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
True, it is a controversial subject. It has been proven to occur in cats, mice, and birds. But, sense taking multiple muscle fiber samples from the same area can cause permeant tissue damage, it isn't considered scientifically ethical to test with humans.
It's not permitted in America, Scandinavian research permits such studies.

sportsbro21

sportsbro21

Awards
  • Established
Hyperplasia has been shown to occur with IGF-1/GH use. In theory, it is possible through training, but nothing has really been shown to effectively stimulate hyperplasia in myocytes.
iv read that also, so would products like POWERFULL for ex., increase the release of enough GH to stimulate hyperplasia? or would it have to be through synthetic use of IGF-1/HGH?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
iv read that also, so would products like POWERFULL for ex., increase the release of enough GH to stimulate hyperplasia? or would it have to be through synthetic use of IGF-1/HGH?
It would have to be site-specific (e.g. exogenous sources). With PowerFULL, the levels are much higher than baseline, but it is still systemic.