how to tell the difference between fat and water weight?

cvs766

Awards
is there any way to tell? also, what about simple bloating vs. fat?
my stomach protrudes an unnatural amount...when I flex, my abs are normal (and decent), but normally it sticks out like I weigh 300 lbs. I've heard this could be bloating, estrogen related, water weight, etc...

There's definitely fat there, but it sucks because all the fat on my body is on my stomach

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
is there any way to tell? also, what about simple bloating vs. fat?
my stomach protrudes an unnatural amount...when I flex, my abs are normal (and decent), but normally it sticks out like I weigh 300 lbs. I've heard this could be bloating, estrogen related, water weight, etc...

There's definitely fat there, but it sucks because all the fat on my body is on my stomach
If it happens that day or overnight, it's highly likely that it's just food and water weight and possibly effects from food re bloating and gas, etc.

The only way to know if it is fat is to get your body composition tested - but generally, fat is harder and you can tell (you just can, even if it is harder).

~Rosie~

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Grab what you think is fat and squeeze. You will be able to tell by the touch. If it feels like a boob, its fat.

cvs766

Awards
My bodyfat is actually only 10%, but it's there 24/7...just can't tell.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Watch your sodium intake for a few weeks and evaluate further from there. You may just hold a majority of your fat on your stomach. Its very common. I know I do.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
you should probably cleanse your colon. i went through a milk chugging stage trying to put on weight and afterwards i was in great shape but had the same protruding stomach you are talking about. i used oxypowder and ate nothing but vegetables for a week. let me tell you i lost like 8 pounds and from that time on i feel like there is nothing sitting in my stomach. i mean i dont know how bad you are clogged up but i was in the same boat, in shape and with a protruding gut and this did the trick for me. stopping drinking milk helped

cvs766

Awards
you should probably cleanse your colon. i went through a milk chugging stage trying to put on weight and afterwards i was in great shape but had the same protruding stomach you are talking about. i used oxypowder and ate nothing but vegetables for a week. let me tell you i lost like 8 pounds and from that time on i feel like there is nothing sitting in my stomach. i mean i dont know how bad you are clogged up but i was in the same boat, in shape and with a protruding gut and this did the trick for me. stopping drinking milk helped
That could be it actually; I drink about a gallon of milk a day lol...thanks

Watch your sodium intake for a few weeks and evaluate further from there. You may just hold a majority of your fat on your stomach. Its very common. I know I do.
I didn't know it was that common, it's weird because fat-wise I look like Jay Cutler...until you see the gut of an obese person. I'll try that.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
yeah the lactose in the milk can create all sorts of bloating. i had the same type gut until i stopped drinking milk completely and now im shredded to the boneee baby

cvs766

Awards
yeah the lactose in the milk can create all sorts of bloating. i had the same type gut until i stopped drinking milk completely and now im shredded to the boneee baby
thanks man...did you take any supps for the bloating or change your diet, or was it really just the milk?

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
thanks man...did you take any supps for the bloating or change your diet, or was it really just the milk?
well i really cleaned up my diet. at the time i was also eating a lot of corn trying to gain weight, which is horrible. i cut out milk, corn, then eventually bread and pasta. all those foods are pro inflammatory and can easy cause a bloat. cut all those out which is basically the Paleo diet that ive been following for the past year, and you'll trim up in 3 weeks.

cvs766

Awards
well i really cleaned up my diet. at the time i was also eating a lot of corn trying to gain weight, which is horrible. i cut out milk, corn, then eventually bread and pasta. all those foods are pro inflammatory and can easy cause a bloat. cut all those out which is basically the Paleo diet that ive been following for the past year, and you'll trim up in 3 weeks.
might give that as shot, thanks a lot

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
90% of the time it's fat. Of course fat holds water but you can only hold so much water. An AI will drop some estrogen and water weight. Make you pee more often. Most likely its fat. Cortisol will make you gain belly fat. Try to control the cortisol with some vitamin C or other cortisol blockers.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
90% of the time it's fat. Of course fat holds water but you can only hold so much water. An AI will drop some estrogen and water weight. Make you pee more often. Most likely its fat. Cortisol will make you gain belly fat. Try to control the cortisol with some vitamin C or other cortisol blockers.
if he can clearly see a six pack then its not fat. adipose tissue in the abdomen would sit over the abs. this is a bloat from inflammation, in his case from drinking a ton of milk. most likely..im not a doctor

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
It's fat. This is what happens when you bulk. Even if you are an ectomorph you can still get a round gut. Try cutting down on the amount of powders you consume.