How much protein should I eat?

allentx

Awards
Hi am allen,

Help me for my weight loss here some body tell me, How much protein should I eat?

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
depends on your metabolism and overall goals.. but anywere from 1g per KG of BW all the way up to 2g per lbs of BW.
I recommend you look for hiqh quality products like isotean or protean from iForce

soul0wner

soul0wner

Awards
  • Established
Or food..

Quality meats - Chicken, ground turkey, bison, venison, steak

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
If you are cutting it really is dependant on your diet and also what your body responds better to.

Typically protein can stay the same regardless of goals, as you want enough to grow in a bulk and need enough to preserve muscle mass in a cut.

Rough goal is 1g per pound. Again this is individual and I recommend experimenting to find your sweet spot.

Fat and carbs can be played with and altered to fit your diet type. As long as your total calories are below your TDEE, you will lose weight. The high protein amount will help keep muscle, other options are BCAA's or just leucine added.

Get the protein how you can, try to keep as much if it as you can to solid, real foods.

Lean meat cuts if any kind, eggs and egg whites, greek yogurts, cottage cheese, etc.

I can't emphasize enough the importance of tracking your foods, count your calories and make alterations based on results.

coucouza

Awards
hello :think:
1 gramme per kilogramme(body weight)

people in bodybuilding pogramm can consume more than 1g/kg because more potein is iportant for building new muscles.

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
Generally 1 - 2 lb per lb of body mass, although I go with 2 lbs per lb of lean body mass personally. It is best most of this comes from whole foods, but a Protean shake or two per day would go far in meeting your macro needs.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Generally 1 - 2 lb per lb of body mass, although I go with 2 lbs per lb of lean body mass personally. It is best most of this comes from whole foods, but a Protean shake or two per day would go far in meeting your macro needs.
Wow, you eat 2lbs of protein for every lb of lean bodyweight? That's a lot of food.

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Idk man, he said lb for lb at least 2 times in that post lol.
I would faint if someone placed a 2x bodyweight pile of steaks on the table in front if me.

Then give it my best attempt once I woke up, of course.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
0.8g/lb body weight is what the scientific literature supports, and that number is supported to several sigma. That means you can do just fine with even less, .6 is probably just as good.

This makes sense if you think about it. You know how slowly muscle grows. Your muscles can only physically use so much protein. This is even more the case for advanced lifters who get slow gains.

I suspect the high protein bro science came about by, as usual, following the advice of pro bodybuilders in magazines, etc. You must remember these guys are on steroids at an incredible level, and they can probably use the protein. Another avenue for the myth is probably protein powder companies. Though I have no problem getting all protein from solid food.

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
0.8g/lb body weight is what the scientific literature supports, and that number is supported to several sigma. That means you can do just fine with even less, .6 is probably just as good.

This makes sense if you think about it. You know how slowly muscle grows. Your muscles can only physically use so much protein. This is even more the case for advanced lifters who get slow gains.

I suspect the high protein bro science came about by, as usual, following the advice of pro bodybuilders in magazines, etc. You must remember these guys are on steroids at an incredible level, and they can probably use the protein. Another avenue for the myth is probably protein powder companies. Though I have no problem getting all protein from solid food.
And I suppose it's easier to calculate if you just use 1g per pound of bodyweight.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
And I suppose it's easier to calculate if you just use 1g per pound of bodyweight.
More protein is also great for satiety, especially on a calorie restriction. Meaning, it helps you feel full for longer from the same amount of calories. Also protein's true caloric value is about 3.2 cal/g, not 4, due to it's higher digestion energy, so people save calories that way too.

Protein is great, but you don't NEED more than .8g/lb (with significant CI), less with lower CI (confidence interval, ie statistical surety).

boomer411

Awards
I agree that the typical response is around 1 gram per pound of body weight, but remember that weight loss isn't just about increasing the amount of protein that you take in. You will also want to take a cut in the number of calories you take in, as well. You will also need to include exercise in your routine. I have come across some diet plans that vary in the amount of protein one eats, even within the diet itself. One day one is allowed to eat anything, the next it is nothing but protein shakes, and still the third day is focused on fasting for the entire day.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established

Not exactly. They use amino acids. These are found in both protein sources and carbs. Pro bodybuilders are just as prone as us to bro science. There's no reason whatsoever to eat 600 grams of protein. Even at 400 lbs*looks at jay cutler* using a gram or more of test...however...protein is highest in the 3 bcaas which contribute to the 400lbs. Oh well. Not much science done on mega doses of roids in humans. Especally with low fat *I've seen 5 % fat on another fourm with a guy taking 1g test,dbol at 50mg ,tren ace and hgh.*

To answer op.... .8 g /lb sounds fine. I would even be so bold to say .5 if you absolutely love carbs and fats.

1g is however what I recommend. May be bro science but the research done on protein and such related to fitness or any kind of sport is unfortunately limited. 1g works well for the majority. Easy to count too.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
To piggyback off pyrobatt, AAS increase nitrogen retention and reduce catabolism, meaning that intact muscle proteins are preserved rather than catabolized for energy. So exogenous protein (diet) doesn't need to be as high as in natural trainees, ceteris paribus. But due to increased protein synthesis (more demand on the anabolic side), keeping intake the same would be just fine. But the myth goes on...