How much BCAA

Santee

Santee

Awards
Should I take? I'm 6' and about 190 I train 6 days a week, a three day split with one day off, and when?

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I usually take 25-30g during my workouts, a protocol I found from Charles Poliquin.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good find about Poliquin dosing Kevin! :thumbsup:
I do ~15g/pre....then 15-20g Intra...

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well to accurately advise how many grams you should ingest primarily depends on your diet, specifically your protein intake.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
5g upon waking

10-15 during/post training

5g before bed

I also use 5 grams if I'm going longer then 3 hours without eating.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
5g upon waking

10-15 during/post training

5g before bed

I also use 5 grams if I'm going longer then 3 hours without eating.
It's not about the total grams of BCAAs, its about the ratios and the grams of leucine.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take around 15g intra-workout.

Mike

808shredded

Awards
  • Established
I take my bcaa first thing in the morning, preworkout, postworkout and bedtime a total of 20gms of bcaa, a day. a 10 gm serving of bcaa is equivelent to 90 grams of protein. taking in the morning offset the catabolism, preworkout fuels muscle for training and postworkout also fuels muscles and give a slight insulin surge, bedtime sets the stage for growth. at bedtime I also take it with 1tbsn almond butter to slow down the assimilation rate of the bcaa's. hope this helps

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I take my bcaa first thing in the morning, preworkout, postworkout and bedtime a total of 20gms of bcaa, a day. a 10 gm serving of bcaa is equivelent to 90 grams of protein. taking in the morning offset the catabolism, preworkout fuels muscle for training and postworkout also fuels muscles and give a slight insulin surge, bedtime sets the stage for growth. at bedtime I also take it with 1tbsn almond butter to slow down the assimilation rate of the bcaa's. hope this helps
Where do you get this stuff? A 10g serving of BCAA = 90g protein? Better just have 30g BCAAs a day and call it a day then!

808shredded

Awards
  • Established
I think it was said from George farah. He has kidney problems so taking bcaa's is absorbed better for him instead of protein. Check out his website.

808shredded

Awards
  • Established
In fact I am only taking bcaa's. Protein from whole food sources. Working well so far.

GHO5T

Awards
It all really depends on your diet. If you are bulking and eating the way you be by hitting your macros bcaas may not be needed. I would just grab some bulk leucine if thats the case.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
There is a threshold level of leucine (0.045-0.06g / kg BW) that is necessary to maximize MPS. And the proper amounts of other BCAAs may aid uptake.
I have not kept up with the research regarding the best ratio..is 2:1:1 still recommended or is a higher amount now thought to be better? (4:1:1 or 8:1:1)

808shredded

Awards
  • Established
Yes but from whole food only. Mostly beef and chicken. No shakes

808shredded

Awards
  • Established
Monster amino is 8:1:1 ratio. Works well for me

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Should I take? I'm 6' and about 190 I train 6 days a week, a three day split with one day off, and when?
I personally use 15 g intra workout with a protein shake following the workout I have had high success with this protocol.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
Well to accurately advise how many grams you should ingest primarily depends on your diet, specifically your protein intake.
i agree.
for me i take maybe 10pre 10g post along withpostal or dextrose and creatine, then a whey drink 30min later then a meal 45min-1hr after that.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I have not kept up with the research regarding the best ratio..is 2:1:1 still recommended or is a higher amount now thought to be better? (4:1:1 or 8:1:1)
Scivation is on the verge of releasing a study proving that the 2:1:1 ratio works. That said, I don't see why even standalone leucine wouldn't work provided you aren't totally fasted.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think it was said from George farah. He has kidney problems so taking bcaa's is absorbed better for him instead of protein. Check out his website.
And George Farah is an idiot. I would not listen to him. Rather Layne Norton suggests you count each gram of bcaa as 1 gram of protein. Since aminos do have calories.

808shredded

Awards
  • Established
I know. But George is a reputable trainer and nutritionist. I guess everyone has their opinions.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know. But George is a reputable trainer and nutritionist. I guess everyone has their opinions.
Well there's science, and then there's opinion. I know which one i'm going to follow.

808shredded

Awards
  • Established
Was there any research to his answer, probably not, but how many people clients does he consults? A lot. I am saying is with his many trial and error being a athlete himself, I take into conserderation to what he has to say.

PITBULL915

I feel BCAA's are a rip off.... Quality meat from your whole foods should provide you with all the amino acids and proteins you need.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Was there any research to his answer, probably not, but how many people clients does he consults? A lot. I am saying is with his many trial and error being a athlete himself, I take into conserderation to what he has to say.
Ok but so does layne norton? And layne has a Ph D. is a natural pro bber, has some records in powerlifting, and trains many natural pro bbers. Science and trial and error. Not to mention unless your on juice, most of Georges tips wont matter much since he juices and trains bbers that juice.

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
i sip on about 20-25g's post WO, thats over a 4-6hr period tho.

itzDodge

itzDodge

Official Genomyx Wizard
Awards
  • Established
I feel BCAA's are a rip off.... Quality meat from your whole foods should provide you with all the amino acids and proteins you need.
You like chewing on steak in the middle of a lift? BCAAs are about convenience not total daily protein reqs, they can be used to spike MPS and the cascade of events following are very beneficial.

PITBULL915

You like chewing on steak in the middle of a lift? BCAAs are about convenience not total daily protein reqs, they can be used to spike MPS and the cascade of events following are very beneficial.
Nothing more hardcore than chewing on steak during leg day.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
^^ I prefer making a beef broth and injecting post squatting