Hit the mirror would ya!

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
And the rant commences.

I had to post a little frustration to a problem that grows and grows with the availability of the gear.

I was at a regional contest this weekend, in Atlantic Canada, and while some of the guys were huge and ripped they couldn't pose to save their protein drinks. For me it was case after case of guys thinking that just pinning or whatever was all they needed to do to be a bodybuilder.

What about the posing guys?

Time after time we saw guys holding the wrong arm while doing a side chest, or dancing like a chicken when hitting the ab shot. Shoulder blades protruding for back dbl bis. Thinking the frnt dbl bis was an ab shot. It went on and on. Then there was the free routines with disjointed movements, too quick, unbelievably too slow, nearly falling when attempting to drop to one knee.

My girlfriend and myself sat there and at times just looked at each other expecting the other to understand the intentions of the poser… Blank stares were all we had for each other. :blink:

First let’s give mad props to the students of the game, who have every side ready and polished. There were guys who did everything properly and it showed on stage. There were guys who had not a chance in hell of breaking top 3, but still posed like pros. There were guys with delts the size of bowling balls, legs like oaks that could hit a bicep pose for all the gear in the world. :wtf:

I’m just saying if you are going to compete know the craft of presenting what you have labored over so intensely. I don’t think anyone expects to see perfection but God practice a little. :study:

OK rant is over.

Damn I’m still annoyed.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know what you're saying. Right now it seems the direction of BBing is sort of lost. Vaccuum poses were something at one time that had to be mastered and now...? They issue one step pregnancy tests to each competitor.

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
Exactly, some seem to fail and realize the goal of each pose. Even the audience is guilty. I was shocked to hear some screaming at their friends/favs to flex the abs in every damn pose! A guys does the most muscular, crab version, and they scream about how great his abs are?

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
I can say I take pried in perfecting my poses, When we got pictures from the show last week and allot of guys just had no clue how to pose

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, it's unfortunate considering how much time and effort older generations of BB'ers took in perfecting their science, and now like Fly said, showing up ripped is the only neccessitty.

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
I enjoyed watching Ed Corney in "Pumpming Iron", crazey posing with no music like that and still be captivating.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I totally agree. In Arnold's "Encyclopedia Of Modern Bodybuilding" - there's a huge section devoted to posing. These days, all anyone wants to see is a mass-freak,or so it seems.

Id love to be able to hit vacuums like arnold or zane did back in the day...

BV

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
well it should be said that posing properly is actually VERY difficult ..

with that said since it is so difficult it requires a ton of practice and if you are serious about doing well you need to hit your poses properly so competitors need to practice a ton ... just the nature of the game

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
well it should be said that posing properly is actually VERY difficult ..

with that said since it is so difficult it requires a ton of practice and if you are serious about doing well you need to hit your poses properly so competitors need to practice a ton ... just the nature of the game
Damn right, you have to hit a pose with no mirror and you have to do it properly. It's one thing to do you back dbl bi, but it's quite another to keep those elbows straight and the shoulder blades in.

One thing that impresses me is a competitor that can hot a pose and just hold with what appears to be little effort. they become a statue with no grimmace or bouncing going on. No need to reset every couple seconds.

For free routines I like to see fluid transitions from pose to pose. It's not just hitting the pose but it's about how you get from one position to another. That's why Arnie and Franco were in that Ballet school, learning to flow rather than jitter. Be the water my friend - :rofl:

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
As a student and lover of BB'ing, POSING is a lost art,and like Glenihan said POSING is extremely difficult, as it takes extreme mind and muscle connection. As well as conditioning. Lastly BB'ing is going in another direction, as entertainment is the name of the game, while posing and grace falls by the wayside. OH BV do you know how hard it is to do an AB Vacuum?

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
I had allot of people curious as to what I was doing runnig around the aerobics room in my boxers for 5 weeks. I put forth some serious time to posing. My favorite is the crap muscular, how many people hunch over and hide everything

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
My favorite is the crap muscular
:icon_lol:

Yeah I know what you mean. Your right most end up hunching and present a smaller area.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
it is amazing how many guys can't hit poses correctly. Side chset is another one, most guys angle their shouders down towards the judges not sqaure them off