High BP 178/106 Pulse-78

StarRober

Awards
46 years old
Gym rat for decades
5/10"
20%BF

1st cycle with Test E, 375mg per week, pinning 2x weekly. Finishing 3rd week of Test, and have gained 13lbs during this time. Water retention was roughly a pound a day. I'm sure increased volume of water weight has led to increased BP (no AI currently). Drinking 3 liters water/day.

No swelling in feet, legs, or ankles. No shortness of breath, but also no cardio, either.

Overseas location with terrible fried and salted foods.

I have the ability to get Arimidex, and am contemplating taking 12.5 EOD, simply for the water and BP?

ZOO

ZOO

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What was your BP prior to cycle? Has your food and sodium been increased dramatically during this time as well? It may not be estrogen related and probably isn't. You don't want to start attacking estrogen if not. You even mentioned terrible fried and salted food with no cardio... that seems pretty self-evident as being the likely culprit. Taking exogenous hormones will only aggravate the issues that come with poor habits like that.

StarRober

Awards
Thanks for the response, Zoo...
BP is roughly 140/60 pre-cycle. An increase in calories by 500/day has been the goal, and it has come from fairly clean sources. However, I know that we tend to over-exaggerate how 'clean' we eat, so I would naturally assume that with increased calories, I'm increasing salt.

I don't mind an increase in BP, as that seems to be expected. But I sure don't like seeing a Diastolic in the triple digits, either. No other issues as far as swelling or nipple pain.

I'll increase cardio, watch that salt, and check BP twice/weekly. The monitor is a calibrated machine used for EMS.

I have Nolva on hand for PCT, but can get Arimidex within an hour. At what point does one say that water retention = increased BP = utilizing an estrogen blocker?

Reactions: ZOO
Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
No absolutely not. We don’t exaggerate how clean we eat. I eat clean 98% of the time and that’s how you stay healthy on steroids. Also starting a cycle with such horrible numbers was a bad idea. 140/60 BEFORE the cycle... I don’t even get there on two grams of oil a week. Age plays a huge role too. As zoo mentionned... steroids will usually severely aggravate already existing issues, that’s why you take steroids when you’re healthy and you try to avoid blasting when you’re not.

StarRober

Awards
Ok. Understood.

When I say 'we', I mean the turds that I hang out with...

So where does one go from here? Drop completely off test and start PCT? Lower weekly levels, and keep blasting? Stay with the 375mg and see it through another 7 weeks knowing that increased BP is a variable?

Last edited:
Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I would probably start by monitoring BP daily , 3 times a day if possible. Obviously cardio and a clean diet would probably help. You need to know if this is age and genetics or simply something that’s easily fixable. That would change your game plan alot

StarRober

Awards
Thanks for the input and your past experience.

It's a whirlwind of bad timing- going from US 70 degree temps to 108 daily, questionable foods, coffee, over-hydration one day and dehydration the next, body fat too high when starting, etc.. That was the main reason that I started the cycle at 375mg to see how I react. The BP was not from anything I felt was wrong, just a hunch from the water I knew I was holding onto.

I'll follow through with daily cardio and check that diet.

StarRober

Awards
As an addendum to this request for help- checked this evening and (3) different times, and with different calibrated machines, was consistently at 153/90. Will continue to drink water, and may stop with the coffee...

SBH

SBH

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Citrulline helps manage bp. Lots of cardio will eventually help with lowering heart rate. You might want to see your dr for an ace inhibitor.

StarRober

Awards
I have about 3 weeks left in this location that does not support easily accessible vitamins or supplements, but I will be monitoring daily until I depart.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Steroids increase sodium retention. Without question I need far less sodium added to my diet on cycle than off, because I retain hydration (and bloat) better.

So on an immediate level, lower sodium intake, lower caffeine intake, and consider looking for natural MILD diuretics like dandelion tea/extract, vitamin c, b vitamins. I know you said vitamins aren’t very accessible, but every orange you consume has bioavailable vit c in it & 400mg of potassium that will offset the sodium. If you can’t reduce sodium practically, adding potassium from things like oranges, potatoes with skin, beets, bananas, leafy greens is as good or better depending on your calorie needs.

And stay hydrated, for Pete’s sake!

An ARB like Telmisartan will help prevent steroid-induced water retention.

StarRober

Awards
Cruising right along- no pun intended.

Thanks again, guys, for the input and replies. I was in a military SOF related field for 21 years that prioritized running, swimming, and cals over strength- and rightfully so. However, at the age of 46, I've now focused on a different aspect. The BP is a genetic issue that will need to be resolved once I'm finished with PCT.
However, I'm pleased with the results of a 425lb DL, 315 squat, and 285 bench that has arrived fairly quickly. Each of the 4 main lifts have increased by an average of 15lbs per week within the last 3 weeks, and nutrition today is scrutinized more due to your frank comments.

Next cycle may include a bump in E only, but will drop a needed 20lbs of fat, get solid bloodwork, and solve the BP before even considering. With the 375mg current dosing, no gyno issues, absent libido or acne, and I was already bald...

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’m not a doctor, but if steroids are something you decide to go through with at your age you owe it to yourself to at least consider getting on an ARB. If you can’t get a script, overseas pharmacies sell them very affordably. In addition to the things previously discussed. I mean don’t take my word - Google PubMed on dosing, side effects, results in trials with these & make informed choices.

46 is still a vital age in my book, but it’s not “young” when looking at abusing AAS. To be frank, you have to do it better if you want to be around in 10 years & you have genetic predispositions cardiovascularly. The cardio, clean diet, attention to bloodwork and smart compound & dose selection all need to be there, and likely bp meds too - you can’t get away with the brute harm Joey-20-year-old can do & bounce back the same.

Reactions: Nac