Help: working out with an odd schedule

Sameucha

Awards
Hey everyone, im trying to bulk and having a hard time following a program because of my work schedule. I work 12 shifts and live an hour from my job. My work schedule is 5 days on. 2 days off. 2 days on. 5 days off. Days i dont work, i can train for 2 hours. On work days i only have up to a half hour max. I was sleeping only 6 hours so i could train longer but felt wore out all the time and got more headaches than i already do. If anyone has any experience or ideas i would appreciate the help.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
If you cut back sleep that much its not worth it brother

Just lift on your off days,

Is the job physical?

Sameucha

Awards
5 days off every other week seems too long to get gains. I drive a forklift. More physical than people would think. Arms, shoulders, back, and neck get pretty sore after a couple shifts.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
You could try to break up the 5 days with a lift on the 3rd full body

But sleep it a pretty big factor

Sameucha

Awards
Yea im def not going to cut into my sleep anymore. So that gives me 30 minutes still. A full body workout would take to long. I would like to still do a split style program. Ive read alot that its not good to change workouts every week. I dont have a choice. But i dont know what the best way or most efficient way to use my 30 minutes would be.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You could look into "giant sets" for the days that you're limited to 30 minutes. That should be enough time to get in an effective session.

smike

Awards
In 30 minutes you can easily do 10 sets of an exercise. 5/3/1 with the i ain't doing jack looks great to me. You can also do the first set last for some more volume.
On the days you aren't at work you can follow your normal program or continue with 5/3/1 and all the accessory work you like.

Sameucha

Awards
I like the 5/3/1 because it looks very time efficient. I tend to get alot of joint pain when i go this heavy though. Can i change it to 12/8/6 or would it not be heavy enough to work?

Sameucha

Awards
The giant giant sets might be even better but look a little more time consuming. Is there a good template for this?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
you could do a 2 week cycle of a program.

1 week you lift on the 2 days you have off and do a full body program.

week 2 you lift 3 to 4 days and split the movements and do more volume on of each on each day.

rinse and repeat.

Sameucha

Awards
The juggernaut method seems like a cool concept that i will probably try next time im going for strength. Right now im trying to just add some lean mass. The 2 week cycle idea i thought of too. Is it ok to take 5 days off every other week?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
the body is not so fragile that 5 days will break you. think of it as a great rest period so you can hit it harder when you do hit the gym.

Sameucha

Awards
Would you do full body 2 days in a row? Or how would you split body parts?