Help! Something popped in bicep!

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
Hey all, so a few weeks ago I benched pressed perfectly fine as first lift. Was warmed up then went to lat pull downs. Started light at 80lbs and on the first rep as I pulled it down it felt like it was caught at the top and I pulled a little harder and my left bicep popped loudly. I was then able to pull it down and did a couple reps before it quickly became sore.

Specifics:
Saw no bruising or inflammation
Does not look deformed
Has not gotten better or worse
It's painful runnin down medial side of bicep across elbow joint to top of ulna region.
Been icing heating compressing it.
At time of injury I think I may have been very dehydrated.

What are your thoughts on this. Outside see a doc. Yeah yeah I know that's best.

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
Go to the doctors

Rozman

Awards
I ruptured my left biceps tendon in 2001 and it sounds like that may be what happened with you. The easiest way to tell is to bring your arm halfway up (like doing a curl) and then supinate and pronate your hand. Your bicep should get shorter when your palm is facing up and longer when it's facing down. If it does not move, which was my case, the tendon is likely ruptured (completely off of the bone). You need to get it looked at ASAP, as the only way to fix it is with surgery! There is a window in which it can be reattached since the bicep will start to shorten. The good news is I was back lifting heavy within 6-months and have a cool lightning bolt shaped scar! Good luck!

Mitch5

Mitch5

Awards
I ruptured my left biceps tendon in 2001 and it sounds like that may be what happened with you. The easiest way to tell is to bring your arm halfway up (like doing a curl) and then supinate and pronate your hand. Your bicep should get shorter when your palm is facing up and longer when it's facing down. If it does not move, which was my case, the tendon is likely ruptured (completely off of the bone). You need to get it looked at ASAP, as the only way to fix it is with surgery! There is a window in which it can be reattached since the bicep will start to shorten. The good news is I was back lifting heavy within 6-months and have a cool lightning bolt shaped scar! Good luck!
Thanks for the reply! I just tried that test and I can feel it moving and it feels the same on both sides. It feels really naggy as in I can curl 30+ pound dumbells it just hurts, and I can do lighter ones for quite a few reps before it starts hurting. I may end up having it checked to make sure it's not just hanging on by a thread