Help Me ID the Good Carbs

SHSUStudent

Awards
Hey Guys,

I'm still trying to find a good variety of healthy carbs.

1) Wheat bread. I know to avoid Honey Wheat, but is there anything else I need to look for when selecting my whole wheat breads? What makes one whole wheat bread better/worse than others?

2) Wheat waffles. I find myself wondering... just because these waffles say whole wheat does that really mean they are good for me? I'd love to add wheat waffles to my breakfast menu if they are actually good for me. (Low/no sugar syrup or some type of natty peanut butter topping ok? Sure sounds good.)

3) Brown rice. Still don't understand why it's better than white rice honestly, but either way I don't eat white rice anymore and have incorporated brown rice into my daily routine for a good source of carbs. How do you guys eat you brown rice? I've found mixing it with half a can of turkey chili + some lousiana hot sauce to be pretty tasty.

4) Of course good ole rolled oats are a must. Thought I don't particulary enjoy them. What is your favorite way to eat your oats?

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Hey Guys,

I'm still trying to find a good variety of healthy carbs.

1) Wheat bread. I know to avoid Honey Wheat, but is there anything else I need to look for when selecting my whole wheat breads? What makes one whole wheat bread better/worse than others?

2) Wheat waffles. I find myself wondering... just because these waffles say whole wheat does that really mean they are good for me? I'd love to add wheat waffles to my breakfast menu if they are actually good for me. (Low/no sugar syrup or some type of natty peanut butter topping ok? Sure sounds good.)

3) Brown rice. Still don't understand why it's better than white rice honestly, but either way I don't eat white rice anymore and have incorporated brown rice into my daily routine for a good source of carbs. How do you guys eat you brown rice? I've found mixing it with half a can of turkey chili + some lousiana hot sauce to be pretty tasty.

4) Of course good ole rolled oats are a must. Thought I don't particulary enjoy them. What is your favorite way to eat your oats?
I'll try to address these one at a time.

1. Look for the first ingredient to be stone ground wheat. I found a bread by natures own that has 10g of fiber per 2 slices.

2. Even though the box says whole wheat, they're probably no better for you than normal waffles. Of course, I'm of the notion of if I'd rather eat a bit unhealthy than not eat at all. Sometimes is ok, but I wouldn't make the waffles a mainstay, unless you make your own homemade whole grain waffles or pancakes.

3. Brown Rice has a lower GI number than white rice, therefore it will not have an insulin spiking effect like white rice has. I would say eat the brown rice how ever is the tastiest for you.

4. I actually enjoy oats and sometimes eat them plain. More often than not, I will grind up a half cup in a coffee grinder and throw them in a protein shake :food:

Hope this helps.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
it actually depends on your goals.

If you are bulking you don't need to be so strict with the low GI carbs... well.. to a point... I'm talking diry bulk here.. ;)

But as it has been addressed, UHcougar pretty much covers it. Most people are looking for a nice sustained level of insulin, as well as energy from carbs, rather than sharp spikes at inopportune times... you also don't want your pancreas working in overtime. Much like the way that most obese soon-to-be-diabetic people roll.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
For wheat products look for low fat ones with whole wheat being one of the primary ingredients and no added sweeteners such as sugar, corn syrup, glucose, dextrose, etc.

Brown rice still has the husk on it so it has more fiber which reduces calorie density and can slow down digestion (lower the GI). However remember that there are long grain (lower GI) and short grain (higher GI) types. FYI, the GI of short grain brown is comparable to long grain white.

Things to do with oats:

- Put in blended protein shakes
- Cook with berries and top with cottage cheese (splenda optional)
- Cook with diced apple and cinnamon (again splenda optional)

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
What about potatos?
Extremely high in starch and are quickly digested... I would recommend not making them an everyday occurrance.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Extremely high in starch and are quickly digested... I would recommend not making them an everyday occurrance.
Very much disagree. They are highly alkalinic (the only complex source, actually), full of potassium, and only have a bad rep because most people toss on another 500 kcals of butter, cheese, sour cream, etc.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Very much disagree. They are highly alkalinic (the only complex source, actually), full of potassium, and only have a bad rep because most people toss on another 500 kcals of butter, cheese, sour cream, etc.
I was just thinking of the typical, high GI value, variety that is most widely consumed.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don't forget about your veggies man. They contribute to your daily carb intake as well.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Try to find sprouted bread instead of wheat bread. Lower GI without tons of chemicals. Also, quinoa can be a great substitute for rice of any kind and its nutritionally sound.