Hbcd vs Vitargo

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
correct....

It defies logic, it digests "super fast" but insulin response is somehow suppressed...
Lobliner has stated this about Carb10, fast digesting but minimal impact on insulin. I know you use Carb10 in ModernPre. What was the deciding factor to use Carb10 over another carb source? Is there anything special about it? Thanks

Big Papi

Awards
  • Established
Lobliner has stated this about Carb10, fast digesting but minimal impact on insulin. I know you use Carb10 in ModernPre. What was the deciding factor to use Carb10 over another carb source? Is there anything special about it? Thanks
i believe carb10 is supposed to be low-glycemic and slow digesting, essentially the opposite of vitagro and hbcd

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
i believe carb10 is supposed to be low-glycemic and slow digesting, essentially the opposite of vitagro and hbcd
It is advertised as fast absorbing/digesting. This is from the Tigerfitness page on Carb10.

"Carb 10 is a unique carbohydrate derived from peas that is absorbed very fast due to its tremendously low osmolality but does NOT elicit a spike in insulin"

Big Papi

Awards
  • Established
It is advertised as fast absorbing/digesting. This is from the Tigerfitness page on Carb10.

"Carb 10 is a unique carbohydrate derived from peas that is absorbed very fast due to its tremendously low osmolality but does NOT elicit a spike in insulin"
gastric emptying is not the same as rate of systemic absorption

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Only info I can find on Carb10 is via Compound Solutions, the owners of Carb10.

Mike Arnold

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
gastric emptying is not the same as rate of systemic absorption
Exactly. Thank you.

I know this is an old thread, but while doing some research I happened to find myself in here and after seeing a need for clarification, I figured I would respond.

Anyway, HBCD's most definitely lead to a reduced insulin response in comparison to Vitargo, DESPITE their much more rapid rate of gastric emptying. Nobody "got you good" or "lied to you"...and Meadows certainly wasn't incorrect. Research is research. What some of you guys aren't understanding is that gastric emptying and absorption into the bloodstream are NOT the same thing. HBCD's exit the stomach quickly (e.g. gastric emptying) which prevents issues like bloating and gas during training. However, their uptake into the bloodstream from the intestine is MUCH slower than carbs like Vitargo, dextrose, malto, etc. Hence, the insulin spike is minimized.

Personally, unless someone is prioritizing fat loss over recovery and growth, I don't see the advantage of HBCD's over something like Vitargo. Basically, HBCD's are slow absorbing sugars with a minimal insulin s;pike, while Vitargo is a rapid absorbing complex carb with a large insulin spike.

Rapidly absorbing complex carbs + more insulin= faster glycogen restoration and greater muscle fullness.

Slowly absorbing sugars + less insulin= slower glycogen restoration and less muscle fullness.

Now, there are some people who have digestion problems with almost all intra-workout carbs, but even these individuals usually don't have a problem with HBCD's, so for them it certainly makes sense. However, if you are trying to maximize glycogen levels and overall muscle fullness, I believe Vitargo is superior.