Ham

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What's the deal with ham? It's got zero carbs barely any fat at all and it's high in protein. Why do people say it's not good for bodybuilding? Is it because it has a lot of sodium? I don't get it it's lean meat high protein I don't see the issue

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What's the deal with ham? It's got zero carbs barely any fat at all and it's high in protein. Why do people say it's not good for bodybuilding? Is it because it has a lot of sodium? I don't get it it's lean meat high protein I don't see the issue
Ham that hasn’t been processed normally has a lot of fat, and traditionally bodybuilders were fat phobic. Plus all the sodium.

As far as processed deli meat, you are going to still be getting lots of sodium and if you don’t get nitrate-free those are definitely bad for you.

So if you get nitrate-free ham in the leanness and sodium level you personally desire, have at it. Pork is a good meat for minerals, much more nutritious than poultry for example.

If you are blowing your diet on one meal of ham per day, something else is really wrong in your overall calculations.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I use ham steaks, pork tenderloins and pork sirloins interchangably with my chicken and beef. I know a lot of guys who eat a ton of shake and bake porkchops when there bulking. Basically i eat whatever meat is on sale and reasonably lean. If im following a strict meal plan then its a different story but i think you could fit ham into any diet plan. Maybe avoid the highly processed lunch meats and canned meats