gsp vs hardy

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
GSP is going to rape Hardy through his ready to go bicycle shorts. The Primetime episodes made me respect Hardy more as a fighter, because it takes a special kind of dedication to fly to China and practice with Shoalin Monks. However, as far as his chances against GSP, 1st or 2nd round dry anal-bar.

As much as I despise Mir. He has more ways to win then a power KO. I'll be elated if Carwin wins, but I think Mir is a different class of fighter then Carwin.

As far as Lesnar goes. I contend anyone in the HW elite, Lesnar, JDS, Cain, Mir, has a chance of beating each other. I'm a HUGE Lesnar fan that does not think he's unbeatable, because any of those HW's are one mistake away from a potential KO, but I don't see anyone "humiliating" him. Beating, yes, humiliating, no. I hope he returns in full-force. I think the current HW division has the greatest belt turn over potential. Though I hope Lesnar remains Champ as long as possible.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with Vol-Daddy: while Lesnar is a freak, it took him three rounds to dismiss Randy Couture who is by all means a natural LHW. And in particular, Randy was able to take Brock down (though not keep him there). This bodes well for Cain in particular whose striking is far superior to Brock, and who is also larger than Randy; thereby making it entirely possible to both take Brock down but also apply pressure when he is there.

Out of the current crop of HWs, I think Cain and Carwin (with more refining) have the biggest opportunities to defeat Brock.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Both do but Cain especially. He looked amazing against Nog. If the winner of mir/carwin fight is too injured to fight brock i'm gonna pee my pants in anticipation for the Brock/Cain fight.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
AMC Theaters is showing the fights live on the big screen. Tix are 20 bucks. I'm going to hit that up, should be cool.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I was laughing at the betting odds on junkie for gsp/hardy. I've never seen a number like that. They predict the fight will not even be remotely competitive. GSP should try some obnoxiously fancy moves or fight him all kung fu style to insult hardy. Maybe try that mid air jump kick that he has in all his ufc primetime lead ins.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depends which site, but the odds for Shogun/Machida I were terrific. However, I do not think that Hardy will stand a chance (I called the Shogun/Machida fight that Shogun rightfully won).

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
I think Mir gets drawn into a striking battle and KO'd. Though, I would prefer Carwin to lose, setting up Brock/Mir III, and have Carwin battle Cain/Dos Santos to setup a number one contender anew.
Close enough! Give that man a Pepsi!

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
There were a couple of time I thought Hardy should have tapped but I thought it was a good fight, tho GSP did Dominate Hardy in every round. It was clear that GSP is still in a leage of his own right now.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A bunch of great fights tonight.
Carwin just flipped the switch and went to work.
Hardy is one tough SOB and he sure took it. He did absolutely nothing offensively but didnt give up when most would.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
A bunch of great fights tonight.
Carwin just flipped the switch and went to work.
Hardy is one tough SOB and he sure took it. He did absolutely nothing offensively but didnt give up when most would.
Everyone's saying that about Hardy. I don't get it. "Dude, he lost in awesome fashion! He didn't quit." LOL! Talk about lowering the bar. I'm not saying you don't have a right to your opinion I just can't stand Hardy and am glad he got dominated to the point of embarrassment.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Everyone's saying that about Hardy. I don't get it. "Dude, he lost in awesome fashion! He didn't quit." LOL! Talk about lowering the bar. I'm not saying you don't have a right to your opinion I just can't stand Hardy and am glad he got dominated to the point of embarrassment.
Oh dont get me wrong I hate the SOB and I am glad he stuck it out to take more punishment lol. I was just a little shocked he didnt tap thats all. He was totally outmatched and taken down at will. It was funny when Joe Rogan would trying and talk up any little positive thing Hardy did then he had to retract it immediately bc GSP reversed it. This was us while watching the GSP dominating Hardy fight :fest30: lol

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
I don't know. Hardy was strong or maybe the submissions weren't pushed beyond his threshold. Seemed like the fight was dragged out for distance sake.
Mir looked like he didn't flip the switch in time but Shane was certainly was on point in a big way. Maybe Mir had staph infection.
I tried to DVR the prelims but the time slot was moved AGAIN. FU AT&T get your sht together!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very happy that Mir lost, cant stand that SOB. Carwin v. Lesnar will be very interesting and tough to call.

Hardy was purely dominated, but to his credit is tough. There is nothing at 170 for GSP anymore. Time for some lower echelon (Bisping, oh please let GSP crush that pr!ck)fighters at 185.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
For the first time in recent memory, I was not ecstatic watching my favorite fighter (GSP) fight, as the bout was a complete wash from start to finish: Hardy was never in an offensive position, was constantly reversed and taken down, outclassed on the ground, etc. Despite the fact I love seeing GSP dominate, I no longer have any interest at GSP at 170.

Can we honestly say that another GSP/Fitch bout would play out differently? Fitch's game, while solid enough to contend and beat most WWs, has not progressed nearly enough to make an oz., of difference against GSP; Alves, while dominant, would suffer the exact same fate; and Kos, Daley and the rest are uninteresting to me as well. As AE said, GSP should move up and face a gate-keeper ala Silva v., Irvin, and test the 185lb waters while the WW division hashes out a legitimate contender.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For the first time in recent memory, I was not ecstatic watching my favorite fighter (GSP) fight, as the bout was a complete wash from start to finish: Hardy was never in an offensive position, was constantly reversed and taken down, outclassed on the ground, etc. Despite the fact I love seeing GSP dominate, I no longer have any interest at GSP at 170.

Can we honestly say that another GSP/Fitch bout would play out differently? Fitch's game, while solid enough to contend and beat most WWs, has not progressed nearly enough to make an oz., of difference against GSP; Alves, while dominant, would suffer the exact same fate; and Kos, Daley and the rest are uninteresting to me as well. As AE said, GSP should move up and face a gate-keeper ala Silva v., Irvin, and test the 185lb waters while the WW division hashes out a legitimate contender.
At this point, I think that is their only option. A second Kos fight will do little, and Daley, while explosive, would look as silly IMO as Hardy. Give GSP an Okami/Leben or even Sakara at 185, so we can see how he does.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Mir almost always disappoints in the big matches IMO and I agree... time for GSP to move up a class.

FightWhiteBoi

Awards
Mir almost always disappoints in the big matches IMO and I agree... time for GSP to move up a class.

MIR did not even show up to that fight.

DAMNNNNN he was looking past Carwin to Lesnar IMO

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will say this, Carwin's power is scary. Lesnar better be very serious or he will get ko'd too. Those are some damn powerful lunchboxes

lilnardey

lilnardey

Awards
  • Established
I will say this, Carwin's power is scary. Lesnar better be very serious or he will get ko'd too. Those are some damn powerful lunchboxes
lol, I'd love to see Lesner knocked out, it would be a dream come true. Carwin is definitely one who can do it.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
MIR did not even show up to that fight.

DAMNNNNN he was looking past Carwin to Lesnar IMO
I thought this too. Sure I can see him getting challenged by wrestlers but in his last two losses (more so with Carwin) it was like he just wanted to play the cool cucumber, hang out, have a chat with his corner, and wait to engage on his terms. Seriously, he is now up against opponents that are bigger than he is; one shot can mean lights out...

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mir plain got effed up.

I never thought Hardy had a chance, but I did admire his toughness. Standing up from that dire arm-bar with a smile was just plain cool. However, like Mullet pointed out about GSP, I feel the same about BJ Penn in his current division.

elscotto

elscotto

Awards
the gsp fight bored me alot.. but props to hardy,that guys soooo tuff!!
gsp to middle weight asap!!

khakiman

Awards
carwins left uppercuts were the highlight of the night

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The main reason that Mir lost was because he was so hell bent on gaining mass that he lost a tremendous amount of speed. That was really his one element over Carwin and he looked awfully slow. He just gained far too much, too quickly.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The main reason that Mir lost was because he was so hell bent on gaining mass that he lost a tremendous amount of speed. That was really his one element over Carwin and he looked awfully slow. He just gained far too much, too quickly.
He did look puffy in comparison to the shape in came in last fight. I think his experience with Lesnar may have given him too much of a bias toward sheer size & strength. Only Lesnar has years of carrying his body around with that much weight and Mir has new mass, which would have an effect on performance-ability.

Carwin was the absolute highlight of any fight this year for me.

FightWhiteBoi

Awards
I thought this too. Sure I can see him getting challenged by wrestlers but in his last two losses (more so with Carwin) it was like he just wanted to play the cool cucumber, hang out, have a chat with his corner, and wait to engage on his terms. Seriously, he is now up against opponents that are bigger than he is; one shot can mean lights out...
You are right. Why would he even be looking in his corners direction so early on. Just fight damnnnn it!!!!!
MIR had to watch tape on Carwin, Those short punches are VERY deadly Carwin has!!!

LOL @ COOL CUCUMBER good way to put it.

Although MIR was looked to be in great shape!

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Just finished watching the fights.

1) HORRIBLE decision on one of the early fights I thought. Wow... Guy gets taken down at will and still wins a decision was way surprising. Granted, I felt like he did try to do most of the work and damage, but still, he couldn't stop a takedown to save his life.

2) Both Carwin and Mir put an outstanding amount of weight. Mir was looking huge at the fight, weigh in at 265 and looked good. Not so much when he had to fight though. Carwin showed his powerful hands and I really hope he can put some more weight on before fighting Brock, that would make it an unbelievable fight.

3) GSP dominated but I can't deny I felt kinda bored... It was so 1 sided that I really didn't feel like watching it, I was just skipping through the fight.

FightWhiteBoi

Awards
You really have to give Dan Hardy credit for his awesome strengh and defense overall!!!

That arm bar would of had you and most MMA fighters TAPOUT.

Just finished watching the fights.

1) HORRIBLE decision on one of the early fights I thought. Wow... Guy gets taken down at will and still wins a decision was way surprising. Granted, I felt like he did try to do most of the work and damage, but still, he couldn't stop a takedown to save his life.

2) Both Carwin and Mir put an outstanding amount of weight. Mir was looking huge at the fight, weigh in at 265 and looked good. Not so much when he had to fight though. Carwin showed his powerful hands and I really hope he can put some more weight on before fighting Brock, that would make it an unbelievable fight.

3) GSP dominated but I can't deny I felt kinda bored... It was so 1 sided that I really didn't feel like watching it, I was just skipping through the fight.

FightWhiteBoi

Awards
Really wish the fight would have gone longer to actually see What new big body skills MIR actually brought to the ring with him!!!!

He did look puffy in comparison to the shape in came in last fight. I think his experience with Lesnar may have given him too much of a bias toward sheer size & strength. Only Lesnar has years of carrying his body around with that much weight and Mir has new mass, which would have an effect on performance-ability.

Carwin was the absolute highlight of any fight this year for me.

Cllake

Awards
What did you guys think of the fight? GSP obviously dominated but he did not do alot of damage. You cant help but like the guy, he absolutely destroys people and is SO humble.

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
GSP destroyed Hardy. However, I'll give Hardy credit...he showed his toughness and determination...how that guys arm didn't snap into a compound fracture I do not know.

As for Carwin...he made Frank Mir look like a b*tch! However, while he does have powerful punches...if he gets into a power battle with Lesnar he will get his ass handed to him. I think the best chance for Carwin is to beat Lesnar with technical skill...get the big man to the ground and try to make him force a mistake and apply a submission on him. Trying to trade blows with Brock is just stupid imo. Note...I am not even that big of a Lesnar fan, but the man is a freakish athlete.

Cheers!:cheers:

FightWhiteBoi

Awards
A technical skill???
How many fights has Carwin won by technics, submission?
NONE!!!
Carwin trademark skill is KO power and Lesnar is going to love that approach, I forsea Lesnar controling the fight and will have some great power slams!!!

GSP destroyed Hardy. However, I'll give Hardy credit...he showed his toughness and determination...how that guys arm didn't snap into a compound fracture I do not know.

As for Carwin...he made Frank Mir look like a b*tch! However, while he does have powerful punches...if he gets into a power battle with Lesnar he will get his ass handed to him. I think the best chance for Carwin is to beat Lesnar with technical skill...get the big man to the ground and try to make him force a mistake and apply a submission on him. Trying to trade blows with Brock is just stupid imo. Note...I am not even that big of a Lesnar fan, but the man is a freakish athlete.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A technical skill???
NONE!!!
Carwin trademark skill is KO power and Lesnar is going to love that approach, I forsea Lesnar controling the fight and will have some great power slams!!!
Carwin is roughly the same size and it remains to be seen what, if any, strength advantage there will be. Lesnar did have problems taking down Couture despite the tremendous weight advantage between them. Lesnar still likes to take his opponent down and GnP, but this tactic may not work against Carwin. I feel like the longer the fight goes, the more it will favor Lesnar because he is closer to his natural weight and is not really a "bulked-up" version of himself.

They both have deadly power in their hands, but it seems like Carwin has not only more power, but is better in the clinch. He has also been training longer than Brock and the layoff is going to have an incalculable detriment to his performance.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
hardy did not survive, gsp let him live. gsp toyed with him for five rounds. he basically tortured him. he'd push submissions just before the break point and that was it. to me, gsp was just proving a point that he doesn't need to knock u out or submit you, rather he can just control the match and let it go his way. average round score of 50-44? one of the most lopsided title scoring in the history of the sport? come on. gsp needs to move up. there is nobody that can hang with him right now.

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
A technical skill???
NONE!!!
Carwin has power yes, but I don't think he can play that game with Lesnar. Carwin is going to have to adapt and become a better fighter to beat Lesnar...that was my point. The best fighters always learn to adapt instead of relying too much on one approach.

However, because of Carwin's bull-headed tendency to believe he can overpower everyone I agree with you that Lesnar will control the fight and end kicking Carwin's a$$!

hardy did not survive, gsp let him live. gsp toyed with him for five rounds. he basically tortured him. he'd push submissions just before the break point and that was it. to me, gsp was just proving a point that he doesn't need to knock u out or submit you, rather he can just control the match and let it go his way. average round score of 50-44? one of the most lopsided title scoring in the history of the sport? come on. gsp needs to move up. there is nobody that can hang with him right now.
I agree that GSP is on a different level and needs to move up.

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The GSP fight was pretty boring though and to be a great champion you have to give the fans a show. Hate to say it but I would rather watch a Penn fight over GSP or Silva at this point...both very boring to watch. I know they have skills, but as a fan...snooze

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
The GSP fight was pretty boring though and to be a great champion you have to give the fans a show. Hate to say it but I would rather watch a Penn fight over GSP or Silva at this point...both very boring to watch. I know they have skills, but as a fan...snooze
I agree with you in the sense that there isn't real fireworks when they fight because they quite simply outclass any man that steps into the octagon with them. GSP and Silva are two fighters that get screwed by Dana White IMO. White needs to pull his head out of his ass and actually challenge Silva and GSP and also needs to move them up a class respectively.