Grunting...

djrodimus

djrodimus

Awards
so...i have to admit i've found myself letting a little grunt go...BUT only at the end of my set when I'm on the heaviest weight. it tends to give me that extra bit of power to push it up...

anyone else grunt a bit? :ponder:

DB21

DB21

Awards
I do, quite often. I always do when I'm getting a weight up, like for decline dumbbell bench, ect. It makes me feel beastly when I do. haha

djrodimus

djrodimus

Awards
let me make a quick follow-up on this to clarify that over-grunting or grunting to get noticed is totally not cool and is an indication of tool-bagery or a high level of doucheness.

every gym has the guys that put a 45 on each side of the bar and start grunting right after the first rep progressivly getting louder as the go from 1 - 6 reps!

but i think if you're really putting up some weight (at my state im talking 250+ on bench) sometimes a little grunt at the end of set can really help get that weight back up to the rack.

now that being said i think there are some exercises that grunting is never ok on...

-push ups
-sit ups
-pull ups
-anything cardio!
-most anything that uses a pulley system

djrodimus

djrodimus

Awards
I do, quite often. I always do when I'm getting a weight up, like for decline dumbbell bench, ect. It makes me feel beastly when I do. haha
haha nice. beastly is good.

i find myself doing it mostly on bench exercises and chest flys with 85-100 lbs ususally. i dont really grunt unless im really putting it up...at least...i dont think i do...

maybe thats why all those people are always staring at my shaking thier heads and cursing... (-:

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
I let one go near the end of some sets. Mainly things like DLs and squats when I get to my higher weight(s) (I dunno if it's a GRUNT, but it's some kind of exertion noise, lol). I mainly DB press and less benching, but I still make some noise at the end of those.

Today was shoulder/traps, and I don't think I grunted once... MAYBE on the last set of shrugs to get it up.

RedneckDB

Awards
Yes lots but only on my 'heaviest' lifts which of course relative so I probably seem like a **** tithe guy that's twice my size who warms up at my max lol

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
a couple of things about grunting......i do it, not loud, but i do it.

i do it towards the end of a set if i need to not just cause.

i don't minds others doing it with what i call light weight becuase what's light for me might be heavy for them and i am in no position to tell you what is heavy, nor is anyone else

djrodimus

djrodimus

Awards
i don't minds others doing it with what i call light weight becuase what's light for me might be heavy for them and i am in no position to tell you what is heavy, nor is anyone else
good point. ^

im still sticking to my list of non-grunting exercises though.

-push ups
-sit ups
-pull ups
-anything cardio!
-most anything that uses a pulley system