Greens Powder Recommendations

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I am considering adding a greens powder to my daily supplement regimen. AG1 appears to be the most highly touted product (at least by Huberman), but it is very expensive. This is a hot market right now, and there are many competitors. They include Delicious Greens, Green Vibrance and on and on.

My question: Do you have a recommendation for a cost effective greens powder?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
subscribing. I have at times gone down this road around Dec/January for a little extra nutritional push but I have no brand recommendations.

Sage0607

Sage0607

Awards
Green vibrance is good its what I use. I can't personally speak on any other ones

kira1357

Awards
in costco we trust. I tried AG1 at a steep discount code and would not recommend it, bc of the proprietary blend as well as cost

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I like peak performance greens caps. Buy 4 bottles at a time and you get monthly veggies for about $26.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
in costco we trust. I tried AG1 at a steep discount code and would not recommend it, bc of the proprietary blend as well as cost
Like that is the thing with this type of product, they all just look so bad or so overpriced (and that is before I even begin to think about worrying about quality testing on some of them..).

The more popular ones all seem to spend a ton of money on marketing and influencer ads, but then are full of prop blends, really crappy dosages (lets just throw a little of everything in), and even worse standardization and dosages of adaptogens and other herbs.

Honestly OP you'd probably be better off targeting whatever specific ingredients you think you'll be benefiting from in a greens product and buying those for yourself (which I know can get annoying mixing...).

For example a lot of the research on Spirulina seems to be in dosage well beyond what you'd get from most of these products.

I'm open to suggestions as well, but honestly this section of supplements feels worse than trying to find a good multivitamin.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Like that is the thing with this type of product, they all just look so bad or so overpriced (and that is before I even begin to think about worrying about quality testing on some of them..).

The more popular ones all seem to spend a ton of money on marketing and influencer ads, but then are full of prop blends, really crappy dosages (lets just throw a little of everything in), and even worse standardization and dosages of adaptogens and other herbs.

Honestly OP you'd probably be better off targeting whatever specific ingredients you think you'll be benefiting from in a greens product and buying those for yourself (which I know can get annoying mixing...).

For example a lot of the research on Spirulina seems to be in dosage well beyond what you'd get from most of these products.

I'm open to suggestions as well, but honestly this section of supplements feels worse than trying to find a good multivitamin.
Mixing isn't annoying to me - in fact I buy a lot (most) supplements in bulk and mix my own stuff. I do that with Spirulina, Chlorella, Arugula powders, etc.

timmy8888

Awards
  • Established
1). Chaos and pain 4 in 1 superfood- amazing product have used this everyday for last 5 months. Overall feel more healthier and more energized everyday; I do eat fruits and veggies everday but for safe measures added to my regimen and can tell a difference in overall well being. $35 for 35 servings is a top notch deal was a no brainer. *it is currently sold out and tried to ask about when it would be back in stock but never got an answer. On my last tub so with no definitive answer, I'm going to look elsewhere for a green supplement.

2)Glaxon super greens- haven't tried it, but I will be giving this a 4 month trial. Based on profile should be a good substitute. *DPS has a great deal on it that's where I will be stocking up at.

Way I look at it is there are worse ways to spend my money and as long as I look and feel better it is worth it in my book. Rest of my diet sleep and training on are on point.

Last edited:

Jensing

Awards
Performax has a pretty good one on DPS as well. I have only been using it for a couple weeks but I like it so far. When I compared it to Glaxon I liked the formula.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Mixing isn't annoying to me - in fact I buy a lot (most) supplements in bulk and mix my own stuff. I do that with Spirulina, Chlorella, Arugula powders, etc.
I tend to have two processes there. daily products I keep at work and mix into a shaker around 7am with my normal water intake.

periodic supplements I keep at home and have either on the weekends or as a pretend desert at night after dinner, lol. but I'm with you, mixing is no problemo

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I tend to have two processes there. daily products I keep at work and mix into a shaker around 7am with my normal water intake.

periodic supplements I keep at home and have either on the weekends or as a pretend desert at night after dinner, lol. but I'm with you, mixing is no problemo
Its kind of funny (at least to me, my wife just sort of rolled her eyes), but prior to leaving on on vacation I measured out all of the bulk powders that I would need - and calculated the number of tablespoons I needed to dump into my shaker cup each day.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ya I used to mix a ton on my own because it honestly felt like that was the only option when so many products were in prop blends or underdosed (which is why looking at all these lackluster greens products I’d do that if I cared enough).

Nowadays there’s options with solid doses in other categories so the time I feel I waste mixing a ton of things is definitely decreased, maybe greens products can catch up one day. I got tired of mixing spirulina and other things like that personally.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I'm curious to see what people like and what people want in one.

This is honestly a category that makes me want to beat my head into my desk when I look at some of the products in it because so many of them are ridiculous prices bc of the money spent on influencers rather than on the raw materials.

I don't use one myself because there's honestly not one I like the formula of enough to spend the money on myself.

We will have a very high potency fruits & veggies capsule product coming out in Q1 which will be somewhat similar to this but pretty different too though in that we're intentionally going with very high potency branded ingredients at their clinical dosages and specifically designed to be a capsule form.

We could do that in a powder form with some other things that take up more space though if I know enough about what people want out of one - but overall, the ideas and formulas for these are just all over the place.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Oh, and a word of caution to anyone with wheat or gluten allergies.

Some of these products make me want to slap the companies for labeling some as gluten free because it shows me just how little they know about their own products and ingredients bc there are some in this category that are absolutely positively not gluten free that are labeled that way - and that's extremely unethical and dangerous for people that have Celiac or like myself that have the non-Celiac autoimmune allergy to gluten.

timmy8888

Awards
  • Established

This is honestly a category that makes me want to beat my head into my desk when I look at some of the products in it because so many of them are ridiculous prices bc of the money spent on influencers rather than on the raw materials.

I don't use one myself because there's honestly not one I like the formula of enough to spend the money on myself.

We will have a very high potency fruits & veggies capsule product coming out in Q1 which will be somewhat similar to this but pretty different too though in that we're intentionally going with very high potency branded ingredients at their clinical dosages and specifically designed to be a capsule form.

We could do that in a powder form with some other things that take up more space though if I know enough about what people want out of one - but overall, the ideas and formulas for these are just all over the place.
I was hoping you were going to come out with a product that exceeds the green superfood products. Can not wait, be one of the first in line to add it to my regimen

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I don’t know how the profile compares to controlled labs, definitely lackluster to AG1, but Ghost Greens is my absolute favorite.

Its no secret most greens powder taste awful, but theirs is actually enjoyable to drink. Kind of pricey itself in my opinion, but nothing like AG1. Which granted, if I had more money than sense, I’d pick up AG1 in a heart beat but I can’t justify it.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I don’t know how the profile compares to controlled labs, definitely lackluster to AG1, but Ghost Greens is my absolute favorite.

Its no secret most greens powder taste awful, but theirs is actually enjoyable to drink. Kind of pricey itself in my opinion, but nothing like AG1. Which granted, if I had more money than sense, I’d pick up AG1 in a heart beat but I can’t justify it.
I guess from the perspective of me knowing most blend breakdowns and raw material costs, I just can't get excited about AG1.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I was hoping you were going to come out with a product that exceeds the green superfood products. Can not wait, be one of the first in line to add it to my regimen
Thank you. The capsule version is a definite - the formula in terms of total nutritional value is better than any other type of product in its product class by far.

I'm open to doing a powder version if enough people want us too though, which would likely be the capsule product formula with a few things added to it.

The capsule version is going to be awesome though bc it will allow people that hate the taste and mess of these things to pop a couple capsules and call it a day.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

In terms of taste Ghost Greens is hands down the best I've tried and way less than AG1 in terms of cost.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thank you. The capsule version is a definite - the formula in terms of total nutritional value is better than any other type of product in its product class by far.

I'm open to doing a powder version if enough people want us too though, which would likely be the capsule product formula with a few things added to it.

The capsule version is going to be awesome though bc it will allow people that hate the taste and mess of these things to pop a couple capsules and call it a day.
Powder, you say .... I just perked up!

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I guess from the perspective of me knowing most blend breakdowns and raw material costs, I just can't get excited about AG1.
I’m assuming you’re basically just saying it’s overpriced? I would believe it 100%, when you have Joe Rogan and And

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

This sounds awesome. I'd love to get a product like this to cover the basis while I'm not eating much veggies. Will there be any of the gut/probiotic/prebiotic/ digestive Enzymes in this though? Hoping not....

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’m assuming you’re basically just saying it’s overpriced? I would believe it 100%, when you have Joe Rogan and And
I think its definitely overpriced, but I do understand they have to do that part to pay for the marketing they're spending on it.

For me, I'm just not overly impressed with the formula. I don't mean that as negative towards them; I'm not impressed with a lot of things in this category.

I think that many things in this product space go for how many things they can fit on a label rather than effective dosages of things. For example, I'm a huge fan of Spirulina at 1 gram to 3 grams per day, but I wouldn't bother to even use 200 mg. per day of it. I hope that makes sense.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
This sounds awesome. I'd love to get a product like this to cover the basis while I'm not eating much veggies. Will there be any of the gut/probiotic/prebiotic/ digestive Enzymes in this though? Hoping not....
No, not in the capsule version there won't be.

I'm a believer in using effective dosages of particular things for particular reasons, and we will have a great gut health product coming out - combining the two together to me would be diminishing one or the other.

If we do a powder version, we may add some extras, but the capsule version will be super potent fruits, veggies, greens.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
No, not in the capsule version there won't be.

I'm a believer in using effective dosages of particular things for particular reasons, and we will have a great gut health product coming out - combining the two together to me would be diminishing one or the other.

If we do a powder version, we may add some extras, but the capsule version will be super potent fruits, veggies, greens.
Excellent. Can't wait. Thanks.

jgraves31

jgraves31

Awards
Looking forward to the upcoming SNS product. I’ll put my vote in for a powdered version as well.

In the meantime, any opinions on AllMax CytoGreens?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Looking forward to the upcoming SNS product. I’ll put my vote in for a powdered version as well.

In the meantime, any opinions on AllMax CytoGreens?
I like that theirs has a higher dose of Spirulina but the dosages on a lot of other things in there are too low; but that's similar to a lot in this category.

I think in general, this category has to be a little bit of everything but not enough of anything type of category because to deliver high dosages of everything in it, there's no way a company could meet the price point that some people would want.

I know on my end, just the ultra concentrated stuff I want to use in the capsule form, the product production cost is already more than what a lot of the blends cost to make. If I added the dosages I would want of everything in the blends on top of that, I would be in the price range of the higher priced ones (albeit with a much better formula).

For example, in a perfect world I'd want 2 grams Spirulina and 2 grams Astragalus - which already would be higher mg. than most total blends in them are.

rowz4broz

rowz4broz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Happy I came across this thread, was looking for a supplement in this category and looks like there are some options outside of the overpriced AG1

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ya all this talk about AG1 just proves how strong marketing is.
Yep their marketing game is on point for sure! All the top youtubers are advertising it for them as well.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I think its definitely overpriced, but I do understand they have to do that part to pay for the marketing they're spending on it.

For me, I'm just not overly impressed with the formula. I don't mean that as negative towards them; I'm not impressed with a lot of things in this category.

I think that many things in this product space go for how many things they can fit on a label rather than effective dosages of things. For example, I'm a huge fan of Spirulina at 1 gram to 3 grams per day, but I wouldn't bother to even use 200 mg. per day of it. I hope that makes sense.
Understood, always love to hear your feedback on everything!

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I wanted to ask everyone a couple of questions about what they would like to see in a powdered formula.

The formula I have for the capsule version is confirmed and its awesome and nothing else like it.

The issue is that it is so thorough that it is not inexpensive to make, so if we wanted to take that and use it as the heart of a powder formula and add to it, depending on the additions, it could get expensive quickly.

I could not use that part as the base, but I feel like that would be doing an injustice to the product idea because it is fantastic and even as a capsule, I think it exceeds anything available as a powder form.

So that leads me to a couple questions:
  • Would you want digestive enzymes and probiotics in the formula?
  • Would you want a low to moderate dose of mushrooms in the product?
  • What would you actually be willing to pay for a best in class product of this type?
The way that I have the powder formula designed as of now, it would be a 59.99 product but you couldn't get everything in it from taking even 3 or 4 other products. My fear though is that it may be over formulated and I may would need to decrease the cost on it for it to sell better. I'm just curious for opinions.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd suggest Legion Athletics Genesis Greens or Morphogen Nutrigen

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Update: Here is what I decided to do - just to start.

I am using Orgain Organic Green Superfoods powder as the starting point; using 1/2 dose. To that, I am adding 6 grams each of the following organic powders: arugula, chlorella, and spinach. Lastly, I add 3 grams of spirulina powder.

Orgain Organic Green Superfoods powder has "50 superfoods per scoop from Orgain's original organic super sprouts, fruits, berries, veggie, greens, grasses, and foods blends." and "1 billion clinically proven probiotics ...".

Today is my 2nd day.

Last edited:

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Only if it is dosed well and doesn't mess up the planned cost or take the place of other amounts of other ingredients.
No. I'd rather have a mushroom dedicated product or use more performance oriented blend like PeakO2. I feel like half the problem with this type of product is too many are doing too much already, just make the best greens product, not a little of everything.
  • What would you actually be willing to pay for a best in class product of this type?
I regularly paid 50-60 for Nutrigen so that is around what I would pay for a well dosed product if it fits my needs.
Answers in bold and on a side note I am super annoyed at what percentage of Youtube ads are AG1 right now (I don't even go on Youtube a ton and it is annoying).

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm currently using Inspired Greens. Taste is honestly not great, but I've come to expect that will just about all greens powders. The only "good" tasting one I've had was Green Surge, but because it tasted good - and price point is significantly less than most - I questioned what it actually contained.

timmy8888

Awards
  • Established
I wanted to ask everyone a couple of questions about what they would like to see in a powdered formula.

The formula I have for the capsule version is confirmed and its awesome and nothing else like it.

The issue is that it is so thorough that it is not inexpensive to make, so if we wanted to take that and use it as the heart of a powder formula and add to it, depending on the additions, it could get expensive quickly.

I could not use that part as the base, but I feel like that would be doing an injustice to the product idea because it is fantastic and even as a capsule, I think it exceeds anything available as a powder form.

The way that I have the powder formula designed as of now, it would be a 59.99 product but you couldn't get everything in it from taking even 3 or 4 other products. My fear though is that it may be over formulated and I may would need to decrease the cost on it for it to sell better. I'm just curious for opinions.
I'm all for the price point on the powder. Other companies are in the low to mid $40; with your amazing tracked record it won't disappoint. It might be hard for some to justify the price not knowing your reputation in providing the best supplements around.

Wish you had more funds to advertise and get your name out there, you are more than deserving. Sadly my inner circle not many people are into this type of healthy lifestyle. I would wholeheartedly recommend your supplements if the situations every arises and was asked to recommend supplements.

To be honest though I'm perfectly OK with just the capsules, knowing the formulas will be different.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

Do you think it’s comprehensive enough to eliminate a multivitamin?

I like the idea of a mushroom blend, but I am assuming some people also would want a mushroom complex/product without the greens attached.

could you do two separate powders that would compliment each others flavor? Would potentially reduce price on either one but I’m assuming would be more like $70-$80 for the two? I think the greens almost has to have digestive enzymes/probiotics to compete with others, unless you are using that as way to differentiate?

rowz4broz

rowz4broz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
for this particular product, I prioritized a green supplement that highlights its flavor. Based off what I was able to find on reviews

Usually, taste isn’t a key factor in my purchasing decisions, but since I’m seeking a green supplement, it’s safe to assume that I don’t enjoy the typical taste of actual “greens”

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
for this particular product, I prioritized a green supplement that highlights its flavor. Based off what I was able to find on reviews

Usually, taste isn’t a key factor in my purchasing decisions, but since I’m seeking a green supplement, it’s safe to assume that I don’t enjoy the typical taste of actual “greens”
I think flavor is super important to most people's buying decisions - the problem with a greens supplement is that if formulating strictly for taste, there would be a lot of things that would have to be left our or minimized - which then to me at least, it kind of defeats the purpose of doing one.

Like for me, I don't like the taste of greens anyway, so its not going to be something I enjoy. And if I'm going to make myself drink something I don't like, I would rather it deliver the absolute best ingredients since I'm not going to like it anyway haha.

But going back to the taste issues, that is why we are looking at doing a capsule version first before doing a powder one.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Answers in bold and on a side note I am super annoyed at what percentage of Youtube ads are AG1 right now (I don't even go on Youtube a ton and it is annoying).
Thank you. I really appreciate the input, and I agree, as those are pretty much my personal thoughts on it as well.

Mushrooms are common in some formulas, but personally I'd rather have and use a separate product if I wanted mushrooms.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Do you think it’s comprehensive enough to eliminate a multivitamin?

I like the idea of a mushroom blend, but I am assuming some people also would want a mushroom complex/product without the greens attached.

could you do two separate powders that would compliment each others flavor? Would potentially reduce price on either one but I’m assuming would be more like $70-$80 for the two? I think the greens almost has to have digestive enzymes/probiotics to compete with others, unless you are using that as way to differentiate?
Thank you. I appreciate the input.

I think that it depends on what one's expectations are form a multi-vitamin. I think that a lot of multi-vitamins are dosed ineffectively to begin with and use inferior forms of minerals that likely aren't hardly absorbed, so if comparing to those, then yes. However, some multi-vitamins, like the one that we will be doing soon that are properly dosed and use highly absorbable forms of minerals, then no, I don't think any greens product would replace that. In a case like that, a person may could use half the dose of the multi though.

We are already planning on doing a multi-mushroom product. The thought process is just trying to figure out whether to incorporate maybe a third of a serving or something like that into the greens formula.

The issues with greens products in general is that there honestly aren't any that I'm super impressed with. To make the one that I would like to make, as in something that I would want to use myself, we'd be looking at probably a 49.99 product - which is cheaper than a lot of the more marketed ones, but we don't have the marketing to compete with those anyway. To scale it back to say a 29.99 or 39.99 product, we would have to remove some things from the formula that I personally would want to see in there if it were me; but I have to always keep in mind that oftentimes, I can't always formulate the perfect product I would want for myself bc it may be too expensive for the average person to want to buy.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I'm all for the price point on the powder. Other companies are in the low to mid $40; with your amazing tracked record it won't disappoint. It might be hard for some to justify the price not knowing your reputation in providing the best supplements around.

Wish you had more funds to advertise and get your name out there, you are more than deserving. Sadly my inner circle not many people are into this type of healthy lifestyle. I would wholeheartedly recommend your supplements if the situations every arises and was asked to recommend supplements.

To be honest though I'm perfectly OK with just the capsules, knowing the formulas will be different.
Thank you. I appreciate the input.

This is one of those cases where I have to look at it as I want to provide the perfect product, but I know that a lot of people don't want to pay for the perfect product - they have a steadfast price point in their head of 29.99 or 39.99 or whatever it may be.

Like in a perfect world, I would use the capsule formula as the base of the powder formula and add things to it, and that would be exquisite, but the capsule formula is already so premium that the cost to make it is more than the cost to make the average greens product to begin with - so using it as a base and adding to it just would increase the price so much.

That's what has me thinking to just do a greens product that is more like what others do, but a better version of it - but it wouldn't allow for the capsule version of it to be the total base for it.

And thanks - I wish we had more funds to advertise and get our name out there too. I do appreciate the kind words, support, and any recommendations.

I think the capsule formula itself is going to sell better just bc it is a great formula and it will take taste out of the equation.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Like for me, I don't like the taste of greens anyway, so its not going to be something I enjoy. And if I'm going to make myself drink something I don't like, I would rather it deliver the absolute best ingredients since I'm not going to like it anyway haha.
This, exactly.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Its kind of funny (at least to me, my wife just sort of rolled her eyes), but prior to leaving on on vacation I measured out all of the bulk powders that I would need - and calculated the number of tablespoons I needed to dump into my shaker cup each day.
I got to the point where I don't worry too much about supplements on vacation. The only two supplements I can recall taking on vacation with me in recent history was Alpha Gel on my last trip, Ultra Hard shot into a little tube that I estimated servings on last summer (which I've replaced with XPG epiandro gel), and last winter XPG absolved I took with me to mexico. those supps are airline sized compatible and easy enough to put a couple pumps on in the morning.