great deal on the best muscle builder of all time!

Quinc

Quinc

Awards
  • Established
Just a heads up safeway has london broil and chicken breast @ 1.99lb 18th-23rd i bought 70lbs yesterday. :D

ShiftyCapone

ShiftyCapone

Awards
  • Established
We used to have specials like that quite often around here. But inflation is a bitch and the cheapest chicken I can find now is $2.59 for whole untrimmed boneless skinless breasts...

Usually pick up about 10lbs at a time. That's $6 extra if it's on sale, if not, way more.

Quinc

Quinc

Awards
  • Established
Yeah this is the first time i have seen london broil for less then 3$ in months. Quality of the meet i got is 7/10. If you can go the last day and get rain checks so when they put the 5$lb better quality stuff out you can get it for the same price ;)

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
My Grandpap just butchered his cattle...I got 100 lbs. for free. lol sorry

That is a helluva deal though, Quinc. I don't have a safeway around here either, or I'd be all over those chicken boobs.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LOL - Very good thread, man! Definite reps and respect for it. London broil is one of my favorite cuts!! The local chain around here, Giant Eagle (don't ask...Pittsburgh thing I guess), does buy one get one free on them every 6 weeks or so. I usually snag atleast 4 and suck-vac-freeze them.

We also have a little mom-n-pop grocer near where I work that has an actual butcher on hand who does all of their meat products. Everything is top notch and looks excellent. They run a special for bone-in split chicky boob $1.99/lb, buy 5lb get 5lb free. That's just under a buck a pound!!! Sweet!!!!! Bought 20lbs last time they ran it. In all, it was 25 breasts - very nice, very thick, very well cut, and very well preserved in my freezer in meal-size packages. :)

Eat hardy yo ho!! :lol:

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
I just buy the biggest roast they have and a huge pack of chicken.

stick both in the oven in bulk, boil my rice and my whole wheat pasta in bulk, cook my veggies in bulk and break em all down into servings.

that way when i'm packing my meals (i'm only home long enough to sleep) i can just grab several of each.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
I got completely off topic in that post.

I was gonna say roast is usually the cheapest per lb at the wal mart by me

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
lucky currently has chicken at 1.88 per pound :)

dedlifter1

Awards
  • Established
My butcher sells 10 lb bags of uncut breasts for 26$. They are HUGE. Im a porterhouse man myself.

Matt6969

Awards
  • Established
damn great deal i will have to pick me up a few pounds.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I got completely off topic in that post.

I was gonna say roast is usually the cheapest per lb at the wal mart by me
A roast is just a slab of meat before it's cut into steaks!! I prefer Eye of Round roasts. I buy one either fresh or vacupacked, take it home, lay it out, and trim and cut it myself. That way I get the cuts I want, as thick as I want (usually 1.5"), exactly how I want them. If you see a steak with the same name as the roast, invest in a large chef's knife or carving blade (not a fan of serrated blades), and take some time to butcher it yourself. In the end, you'll save money and get a nice cut out of it.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
A roast is just a slab of meat before it's cut into steaks!! I prefer Eye of Round roasts. I buy one either fresh or vacupacked, take it home, lay it out, and trim and cut it myself. That way I get the cuts I want, as thick as I want (usually 1.5"), exactly how I want them. If you see a steak with the same name as the roast, invest in a large chef's knife or carving blade (not a fan of serrated blades), and take some time to butcher it yourself. In the end, you'll save money and get a nice cut out of it.

and weird looks from my parents when i buy 30+ pounds of meat in a week, then eat it all without sharing.

raw1973

Awards
A roast is just a slab of meat before it's cut into steaks!!
This may or may not apply. Piece of meat labeled as a roast is generally slow-cooked then sliced thin (Roast beef). Eye of round is pretty lean and i would probably make cube steaks out of it.(tenderize). That's me.

London Broil is off the Top Round (leg)which is and can be tough if not cooked and sliced correctly( and perhaps marinated in something acidic to break down fibers). I saw Top sirloin at Safeway last week for 2.99. Being off the Top SIRLOIN, would be well worth the increase in price as it is much more tender.

Just trying to help, I hate to see someone but 5 lbs of Chuck roast and try to slice thin for pan frying...

raw1973

Awards
BTW,
Didn't mean any disrespect by putting down your find, Quinc.
I've been known to buy London Broil especially at that price. Just make sure you look for solid pieces without the lifter on top( strip of meat that sometimes runs over the top) and try and find pieces w/ some kind of marble as this ads to flavor and tenderness.

Worked at a Full service meat market for near twenty yrs and answer questions all day regarding meat. Least I could do is offer a bit of advice to the good people on this board.

P.S. I just looked at the Safeway ad and noticed asparagus for $1.29, Nice!
Always adds a nice aroma when relieving the bladder.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Safeways here but didn't see that special. Safeway is usually not the best place for buying meats in my area. I usually shop there for other foods stuffs though.

Quinc

Quinc

Awards
  • Established
Safeways here but didn't see that special. Safeway is usually not the best place for buying meats in my area. I usually shop there for other foods stuffs though.
I mainly shop at winco, dont make enough money to shop at safeway :( unless they have a good meat sale :D

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
geeze i've never heard of any of these places.

we have wal-mart, krogers, randalls, H-E-B, and Fiesta, but no "winco" or "safeway"